this time I'm going to get something GOOD.
Feb 8, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #61 of 74
If the bass distorts, they can't handle it. Or you moved the EQ sliders up. Never EQ up, only do it by sliding the sliders down.

Anyways, stay away from the EQ presets, and do it yourself

Feb 8, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #62 of 74
I've got some minor OCD. In that I will constantly mess with the EQs. This is why I use "jazz" for everything. But I'll try doing it myself. I think the problem is the music I like often suffers from ****ty production values. Especially in the early 90s.

One last question. Where on the top of the head do I wear these? I should mention, I'm a leo, and I look like one. I have thick blond hair that's pretty long (below shoulders). I find that even when I get them comfortable, after a short while I worry that they aren't on exactly right and adjust them. No good. It doesn't help that I like to part my hair, because symmetry is boring. SO, should I make the ear cup on the side with more hair longer? Also, I've always used circumaurals. Where should I aim for putting the ear cups? Slightly towards the top or bottom of my ear, or in the middle. By middle I mean closer to the ear canal. Jesus, This is a terrible question.

Feb 8, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #63 of 74
Quote:
If the bass distorts, they can't handle it. Or you moved the EQ sliders up. Never EQ up, only do it by sliding the sliders down.

Anyways, stay away from the EQ presets, and do it yourself

I'm betting that EQ is the sole issue here, not his headphones. No half-decent pair of cans has noticeable bass distortion within human hearing range (though many have horrible treble) unless you've sabotaged it with non-optimal EQ settings.

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #64 of 74
What exactly does "distorted" bass mean?  Are you describing the circumstances where the bass begins to rumble instead of getting punchy, what if it isn't rattling, but it's rumbling a lot? For now, I'm just bringing the bass down low. but there's a lot of music I like with not the best product where the bass tends to flub. This is bad, yes?

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #65 of 74
Quote:
I'm betting that EQ is the sole issue here, not his headphones. No half-decent pair of cans has noticeable bass distortion within human hearing range (though many have horrible treble) unless you've sabotaged it with non-optimal EQ settings.

Will this damage them, though? How do I know when Its too much? Rather, is it the poor recording making it sound flubby, and is THAT going to damage the speakers? No matter what I do to the EQ, it gets flubby, it's just a bad recording I think. I just happen to love this cd. If you're interested, it's Dahmer by Macabre

Feb 8, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #66 of 74
It's called subbass 
size]
 (at least I think that is what you are describing)

Distorted bass will tend to sound a bit rattling (and distorted, bit hard to explain)

Feb 9, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #67 of 74
And no, you will ALWAYS damage your hearing before you damage your headphones. There's nothing to worry about but poor production value.

Feb 9, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #68 of 74
yeah, it's not rattling. it's just going flubflubflubflubflubflub with every awful dropped-A open palm mute recorded on a budget that wouldn't even buy a kid a moonpie in the 40s. 

Now, I keep messing with the headband. Its not uncomfortable, but I have this nagging feeling I'm not wearing these right. Should the headband sit back, towards the crown, or closer to the coronal plane, for those of you who know you're anatomy.

Why didn't anybody ever tell me that out of the ******* blue these would suddenly sound entirely different? day and night. I would use the analogy of a flower blooming. or a garage door opening. whatever, it opened up and I have to say, they sound like they should have cost me 100 dollars more now. 

By the way, I wore them for 12 hours yesterday. No discomfort. None. ZERO. I put on the soft earpads and these things are just heavenly.

Feb 9, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #69 of 74
Can you post one of those badly recorded songs, maybe?

Also, are you talking about them getting better over time/burn in?

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #70 of 74
yeah, the've been used for about 16 hours total and now they sound absolutely incredible. Much warmer, very tight bass and rich mids. The higher bits are a bit sibilant but that's sennheiser for you.
I had no idea good headphones changed as they got used. That was a very pleasant surprise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxLaxQyBGjE skip to 3:16 for the specific song that got me wondering about the bass. it's called "hitchhiker" if anybody wanted to find a better quality sample.

Feb 10, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #72 of 74
What you hear is definitely subbass (just the deep bass, some 30-60Hz). Probably something your old headphones weren't able to produce at all :D

It should sound like a rumble, no more no less.

Feb 11, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #73 of 74
okay, now that I've earned and acquired a proper set of cans, and you guys have really helped me along; it's time for me to learn as much as I can about the physics/electronics involved with these things. So thank you everyone for your help. I'll be back with more headphones soon I'm sure, I am hearing my music in an entirely new way. I've got my eye on those HD 598s for home listening. 

Feb 12, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #74 of 74
Quote:
okay, now that I've earned and acquired a proper set of cans, and you guys have really helped me along; it's time for me to learn as much as I can about the physics/electronics involved with these things. So thank you everyone for your help. I'll be back with more headphones soon I'm sure, I am hearing my music in an entirely new way. I've got my eye on those HD 598s for home listening. 

The best way to learn more is by reading all over this forum. Find youself a/some active and interesting threads, and read/post. Then, after some hundred posts, it start to make more sense, and you start to know the general consensus about different topics around here and form your own oppinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back