this time I'm going to get something GOOD.
Jan 18, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #31 of 74
There's some good advice in this thread...

From here I'd suggest you make a short list of the options that stuck out to you, read some reviews on here, an try and audition them to see for yourself.
For me, the research and quest to find my ultimate can was half the fun.

Jan 18, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #32 of 74
Hey everyone. Thank you for being so helpful. I agree with Bee, and I am currently putting together a list of phones I like. 

Now, in terms of sound. I should probably be a little more specific about bass. I do like bass. I want to hear the bass. I like punchy bass. A lot of the music I listen is fast and needs it. Alot of the music I listen to is not  and also the slower stuff tends to have the down-tuned guitars, so the bass winds up sounding like garbage on most cans, and I am always terrified I am going to break them. These 2 examples aren't slow, but they do give a great example of the lows I want to be able to hear clearly, without getting distortion

"rots of ****" by Katalepsy
"Bleached Bones" by Marduk

I don't listen to that stuff a lot, though. I find my musical taste evolving quite a lot. Here is a good sample of what I listen to regularly.

Mournful Congregation "white cold wrath of burnt frozen blood" sounds very sad, and it is. MC is not cheerful. But it's beautiful music. The music is almost like despair manifest. It sounds like the shock of sudden loss. I always picture A whale being harpooned, and the calf calling out while her mother is pulled aboard a whaling vessel.  The first half is the harpooning, and about 8:45 seconds in the rest of the picture becomes fairly vivid. 

I mention that only so you guys get an understanding. I'm left handed, right-brain dominant [vivid imagination] . When I listen to music, it's not just pleasant sound to me. It's  vital existence and the nourishment my consciousness needs.  I've noticed this the past week without phones.  

So, I am going to be spending some money. I deserve it. I really do, for a personal reason. My spouse won't mind because I just got some good news, so I can safely spend a bit of money. 

ARTISTS TO CONSIDER
VIRGIN BLACK "midnight hymn" from Mezzo Forte [the one with strings, not electric guitars]
"of your beauty" is very jarring, chaotic, and relentless. It's all piano and it's quite impressive. 

Eluvium
"the motion makes me last" don't even get me going here, this is the best song I've ever heard.
also lambent material

Nick Drake "road"
Elliot Smith "Angeles" and "Condor Ave"

Wolves in the Throne Room 
"woodland cathedral" and "I will lay down my bones among the roots and rocks"

Wormed "tunnel of ions"

Ulver "bergtatt....any track"
and also "Kveldssanger"

Steve Roach - trance spirits [this must be incredible with good phones.]

SIgur Ros

Haggard

Ghoul

Animals Killing People

Rilo Kiley

Paul Baribeau (i knowwww)

Yndi Halda

If these trees could talk

That sums it up.  Something not too bulky but durable, with a sound even resembling what I've described, is good. Remember it's going through an Ipod.

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #33 of 74
Thank you...
Might have a look at wintersun and their newest album when you get your headphones.

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #34 of 74
http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-DJ1-PRO-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00101TBB2/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358562228&sr=1-3&keywords=ultrasone

This is nice. Nearly perfect. Will they suffice for my purposes?

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #35 of 74
Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-DJ1-PRO-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00101TBB2/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358562228&sr=1-3&keywords=ultrasone

This is nice. Nearly perfect. Will they suffice for my purposes?

Look up some reviews. They are ofc closed

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #36 of 74
I had  been reading reviews elsewhere as there aren't any here?  I have to say, the Audio Technica ATH-m50s are very appealing to me. They fold up, come with a bag, they appear very sturdy. I am reading reviews to decide on my own, [OH! and I found out there ARE a few stores locally where I can try some of these out!]

But, I have to ask. Someone mentioned they were over-hyped. I can never quite determine what someone means by that. I suspect most people use the term improperly in the same way people use the word 'literally' improperly [myself included, it's becoming a part of the vernacular!]

Are they not as good as comparable cans in their price range? Is it that they are "pretty good" but 'not spectacular?" In other words,  when you say they are over-hyped,do you mean they are just not the best value for the money, or  is there nothing special about their sound that sets them apart?

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #37 of 74
Quote:
I had  been reading reviews elsewhere as there aren't any here?  I have to say, the Audio Technica ATH-m50s are very appealing to me. They fold up, come with a bag, they appear very sturdy. I am reading reviews to decide on my own, [OH! and I found out there ARE a few stores locally where I can try some of these out!]

But, I have to ask. Someone mentioned they were over-hyped. I can never quite determine what someone means by that. I suspect most people use the term improperly in the same way people use the word 'literally' improperly [myself included, it's becoming a part of the vernacular!]

Are they not as good as comparable cans in their price range? Is it that they are "pretty good" but 'not spectacular?" In other words,  when you say they are over-hyped,do you mean they are just not the best value for the money, or  is there nothing special about their sound that sets them apart?

You can get better for the money, but many find them to be a good place to start. From what I have heard they have got bad sound stage, they are not clear sounding, have more bass than natural. 

Anyways, go audition some headphones!!! 

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #38 of 74
http://www.head-fi.org/products/ultrasone-dj1-pro/reviews
http://www.head-fi.org/t/583344/ultrasone-hfi-580-dj1-review
http://www.head-fi.org/t/575376/ultrasone-dj-1-pro-vs-ath-m50-review

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #39 of 74
The more I read (yes, I read, I actually enjoyed your writing style) the more I agree with Grados (i have the alessandro ms1) for home and the Koss DJ200 or TBSE for out in the world. The Koss can take a beating from my experience, they sound great for the money, plus the Koss warranty is great for your out-and-about set. I would definitely recommend the M50 pads for comfort and sound and you may or may not want a small portable amp like the E6.

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #40 of 74
Quote:

They are a decent if average can at their price point. The issue that comes into contention is that with many new hobbyists or audiophiles it becomes their first and sometimes only jump into the hobby. In their zeal many novice users recommend them adamantly even in situations where you would more than likely be better served by a different headphone. On top of that many people recommend the M50's without having branched out and exploring other cans. It has practically become the default recommended headphone on a myriad of websites not just head-fi alone.

My recommendation is to nail down 3 key features you want (Durability, Bass presentation, Soundstage) then delve into the huge impressions threads. Yes there can be an abundance of fandom in them but there are also really solid impressions and criticisms in them and they really go more in depth than what you'd find in most recommendation topics. After the most important thing you can do is take the plunge. Get some first hand knowledge spend time listening to your purchase, analyze it, take notes find out what you your phones are deficient in and do well. Then sell them and move on down the chain. Instead of trying to reach the optimum path right out the gate take the time to stumble around a bit and refine what you really want.

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #41 of 74
Quote:
In ear is no good. I play music loud as it is. **** . the grado 225i or 80i I hear doesn't require an amp. I don't mind sound leak. I'd spend 600 dollars on headphones if they were extremely well built and had a very good warranty and needed no modding. Price isn't that important it's just that these phones that are over 500 dollars apparently need some modding and an amp. Lets try another question. Would those grados make it as a "bottom shelf" audiophile phone?

You've been reading too many mod-threads LOL. 

OK so you've had problems holding up to daily use.  Typically the more expensive cans are made of the same basic stuff as the less expensive cans, plus maybe a little leather or wood.  Without knowing the cause of the destruction of your previous cans I can't comment on how to rectify it, but I'll say that most full sized cans are not built for daily use outside the home.

I'm not sure exactly what volume has to do with the decision to avoid portables, but I encourage you to reconsider and take the advice of your fellow Head-Fiers.  IEM's isolate better than any FS can could ever hope to.  That means that you can listen at lower volumes and still hear everything without risking your long term hearing health. For sound quality IEMs perform as well as anything on the planet and only fall short on imaging/soundstage and depending on the model won't need a powerful amp to sound great, although some benefit a lot from a good portable amp.  

If you are just diametrically opposed to sticking things in your ears I suppose a Grado would be a good choice. I personally wouldn't get anything over a SR125 if I had a history of breaking headphones and honestly the sound quality of the lower end models is such that diminishing returns hits harder than any line of headphones I've ever seen.  If you just love the Grado sound have the money to burn and want the pride that comes with being able to say "I dropped $700 on cans that sound almost the same as a $70 pair", then be all means do it.

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #42 of 74
ATH-M50s are relatively overrated in my opinion. IF you're looking for something bass heavy I think you should get ultrasone. As some guy said earlier, audition some headphones. Subjective sound quality matters a good bit.

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #43 of 74
The main problem I have with headphones is the cord getting messed up. Right now, my HD 428s only sound right if I twist the end of the cable slightly. It cuts in and out.  I help my spouse walk dogs for neighbors in our complex, and sometimes they jump up and tug on the cable. So the only real issue is I need a durable cable, and to be more careful.

My concern with IEMs is that  I can't imagine something so tiny having a good sound. Likewise they never fit well and they are always uncomfortable to me. Maybe I've  never tried a good pair. Im going to try a few out next week. I'll probably buy the grados anyway because **** it, they are 99 dollars. That's nothing. If they seem delicate they won't leave my house. I feel like I have to try them based on what I hear. And they actually sound like they'll fit me ok. The sennheisers never do. They are loose and shifting all the time.  I guess I could try on-ear phones.  Anyway here is my intention, I hope someone on here is willing to at least reply once more to explain briefly how the IEM can sound good. If I spend 200 bucks on IEM and buy the grados, that's all I can get for a while. But again, I just don't see how those tiny little buds could have a comparable sound quality to the full-size headphones.

Wireless phones would be good. But I would imagine the sound coming out of those would be inherently inferior. Anyone?

I  have narrowed it down to two sets
The Sony MDR-V6 impressed me a lot in terms of durability. Nobody said much about sound
Sennheiser HD 25-1. Everything is user replaceable. I am strongly leaning towards these. They are definitely punchy. I'm be trying them out this week and making a decision, and a purchase, then.  

This is a good forum, everyone has been very helpful.  If I've found my portable phones in the HD 25-1, then I'll try some of the others as at-home phones as well.

Jan 19, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #44 of 74
Quote:
The main problem I have with headphones is the cord getting messed up. Right now, my HD 428s only sound right if I twist the end of the cable slightly. It cuts in and out.  I help my spouse walk dogs for neighbors in our complex, and sometimes they jump up and tug on the cable. So the only real issue is I need a durable cable, and to be more careful.

My concern with IEMs is that  I can't imagine something so tiny having a good sound. Likewise they never fit well and they are always uncomfortable to me. Maybe I've  never tried a good pair. Im going to try a few out next week. I'll probably buy the grados anyway because **** it, they are 99 dollars. That's nothing. If they seem delicate they won't leave my house. I feel like I have to try them based on what I hear. And they actually sound like they'll fit me ok. The sennheisers never do. They are loose and shifting all the time.  I guess I could try on-ear phones.  Anyway here is my intention, I hope someone on here is willing to at least reply once more to explain briefly how the IEM can sound good. If I spend 200 bucks on IEM and buy the grados, that's all I can get for a while. But again, I just don't see how those tiny little buds could have a comparable sound quality to the full-size headphones.

Wireless phones would be good. But I would imagine the sound coming out of those would be inherently inferior. Anyone?

I  have narrowed it down to two sets
The Sony MDR-V6 impressed me a lot in terms of durability. Nobody said much about sound
Sennheiser HD 25-1. Everything is user replaceable. I am strongly leaning towards these. They are definitely punchy. I'm be trying them out this week and making a decision, and a purchase, then.  

This is a good forum, everyone has been very helpful.  If I've found my portable phones in the HD 25-1, then I'll try some of the others as at-home phones as well.

Sounds good, probably a nice place to start. Then you can come back and in a couple of months and get a HE-400 :p

Jan 26, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #45 of 74
Any news?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back