There's Something About Ultrasone…
Aug 6, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #4,127 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, if one of you gentlemen would be kind enough to lend me the Ed.9 for a comparison, I'll either eat, or not eat, my words--in real time--on this forum. As of now, however, I will not recant. : )

I was gonna leave that "eat his words" thing alone...lol!

Awww..what the hay.

A careful read (as opposed to a casual one) will reveal that I have ZERO words to eat...I have merely related a story (not a single opinion of my own), and brought the Ed 9 fanboys out to play with GUNS BLAZING...but who really gives a rip!

The best part about this Head Fi thing is that I get to reminisce about my college nerd days when crap like this REALLY mattered to me! Unfortunately I had all the time in the world to obsess, but no cash.

Now I'm a 33 year old nerd, married, with kid...got a little cash to blow, but almost no time to enjoy it.

Young men, here is my advice to you: enjoy this nonsense while you can!

...but I digress.

Aug 6, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #4,128 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootleg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was gonna leave that "eat his words" thing alone...lol!

Awww..what the hay.

A careful read (as opposed to a casual one) will reveal that I have ZERO words to eat...I have merely related a story (not a single opinion of my own), and brought the Ed 9 fanboys out to play with GUNS BLAZING...but who really gives a rip!

The best part about this Head Fi thing is that I get to reminisce about my college nerd days when crap like this REALLY mattered to me! Unfortunately I had all the time in the world to obsess, but no cash.

Now I'm a 33 year old nerd, married, with kid...got a little cash to blow, but almost no time to enjoy it.

Young men, here is my advice to you: enjoy this nonsense while you can!

...but I digress.

Don't give me the idea of waiting till you have the E9, then blowing my excessive time to somehow get it to travel from your hands to mine :wink: Actually...maybe I should use the existing cash to get a good video-gaming system and play with that while I have the time
eggosmile.gif

Aug 6, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #4,129 of 5,942
Quote:

He then said he had a buddy who was an engineer type at Ultrasone's office on the East Coast somewhere and that he would call the guy and get his take on the 750 vs Ed 9.

A few hours later, my friend calls back and says that after some initial jockeying, the Ultrasone rep kinda "came clean" and stated that 90% of the difference between the two cans is "cosmetic stuff for audiophiles". He also mentioned that the 2500's are his personal favorite (even beyond that of the Ed 9's) because they have flatter frequency response.

There is no office is the east coast for Ultrasone, the only office they have till now is in TN, here is the address, I know as I have to mail them packages and receive some packages from them as well:

Ultrasone Of America
220 2nd Ave S.
Franklin, TN 37064-2650

The only resident engineer for Ultrasone in US is Mr. Evan Doyle, he is one of our members, his nick is "themick", PM him if you like to corroborate what I'm telling you, so that dealer was lying for sure, he didn't call anybody and probably what he could get was an Edition 9 for you as they are very limited in availability and was trying to push you the 750, which IMO is not a bad headphone at all...

Now, the differences between the Editions and the PROLines are noticeable enough to make anybody want to sell the PROLines in their favor, and I could call them, for my preference, a "day and night" difference, as it is not subtle at all...you will notice right out of the bat a more sensitivity, more details, the bass is better, and the overall presentation a lot better, if "that engineer" told him that, I can tell you that this engineer is deaf and period...end of the story....

I owned a PROLines that was given to me as a gift by the friend, I don't even pay for them, and after hearing the Edition 9 it was a non turning back point, sorry to disagree with that dealer, engineer or friend of yours big time....you will not get any idea of what the Edition 9 is listening to the PROLines, at all...
wink.gif

Aug 6, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #4,130 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by xinoxide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i havent even had an ED9 on my head yet, im waiting for monday so i can get a reply about some info on the differences in the drivers themselves.

Who wants to bet against it being a difference in magnet streangths?
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

the diaphragm is the same, thickness, fabrication, etc, the driver encasing is the same.

the voicecoil may be of a bit more "pure" material. but judging by whats already in the 750 drivers it cant be that much a difference, as the prices for the entire range of drivers stays around the $45 a piece, other than the ED9 drivers, i havent received any quotes on them yet, as their availablity is limited.

I asked about that to Florian, and to Evan, also I ahve seen them both, they are exactly the same drivers just tuned differently, they have some ports on the back of the driver, and magnet, and they tune it covering or opening them.
Also the sound of the heapdhone is an overall sum of factors, enclosure, material, paddings, pads, position of the drivers, area of the diaphragm exposed, size of the cups, distance from the drivers to the ears, etc...if you change all those variables a little here and a little there, you will get a complete different sound....

The price is higher maybe becasue of matching and better hand selection QC, etc...maybe what is rejected from the Editon line is used to made the rest of them...who knows specualting here.
Also the Editions till a few months back, were only reparable in Germany...a secret recipe maybe...
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Aug 6, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #4,131 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe that Evan (themick) of Ultrasone USA is based out of the Nashville area, or somewhere thereabouts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no office is the east coast for Ultrasone, the only office they have till now is in TN, here is the address, I know as I have to mail them packages and receive some packages from them as well:

Ultrasone Of America
220 2nd Ave S.
Franklin, TN 37064-2650

The only resident engineer for Ultrasone in US is Mr. Evan Doyle, he is one of our members, his nick is "themick", PM him if you like to corroborate what I'm telling you, so that dealer was lying for sure, he didn't call anybody and probably what he could get was an Edition 9 for you as they are very limited in availability and was trying to push you the 750

I wasn't the best in Geography class, but the last time I checked my map of the U.S., Tennesee was quite East. Especially so to someone living in California.

It is entirely possible the dealer was telling the truth.

Aug 6, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #4,132 of 5,942
Wow, a Head Fi mod chimes in on my defense! Mahalo!

If Tenn is east of Cali, it must certainly be east of Hawaii...but again i digress.

ULTRASONE BROTHERS: Stop playing like fanboys. I'd trust my friend with my life and there is a 0.000% chance that he is lying to me. Had I known that the Ed 9 Goon Squad would have spent their time obsessing about which of the 50 states fall in the Eastern Daylight Time Zone I would have contracted a professional fact checker from the New York Times to verify my statements before they went press!

Rest Assured: The 750's are on the way and will be critically compared to the Ed 9's at 4N6's home in a couple weeks.

I LOVE the Ed 9's, and know nothing of the 750's (other than the fact that Stevie Wonder uses them as his reference for analyzing his own music).

I have an open mind, an empty wallet, and a heart filled with aloha!

There really IS something about Ultrasone, isn't there.....HONEY, MORE WINE!

Aug 6, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #4,133 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasn't the best in Geography class, but the last time I checked my map of the U.S., Tennesee was quite East. Especially so to someone living in California.

It is entirely possible the dealer was telling the truth.

Even while I grow up in a diffferent country, and the Geography of the US is not my one of my stregths, at all (I even get lost comming back from the last meeting in Long Island) but if you ask me, to be quite east doesn't mean to be in the east cost, well if you cross all NC, you will be, but how far it is from the coast, TN is not located in any coast in my opinion, you and me are in the east coast, but not TN, com'on James gimme a break!!!...
The dealer is not telling the truth, I know Evan the only engineer they have, and we have crossed some emails, discussuing the differences between the diferent heapdhones, and this is not his opinion AFAIK...
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Rest Assured: The 750's are on the way and will be critically compared to the Ed 9's at 4N6's home in a couple weeks.

I LOVE the Ed 9's, and know nothing of the 750's (other than the fact that Stevie Wonder uses them as his reference for analyzing his own music).

Please keep us posted in your opinion as well, we would like ot know what others think as well, that will not change my opinion on the topic, as it came from direct comparison between them, but I could have an idea of how radical my opinion could be in a given subject....
wink.gif

Aug 6, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #4,134 of 5,942
Quote:

ULTRASONE BROTHERS: Stop playing like fanboys. I'd trust my friend with my life and there is a 0.000% chance that he is lying to me.

:

Well, your friend may not be lying to you but he doesn't know his Ultrasones to save your life. There is quite a difference between the 750s and the UE9s to my ears, matching what others have previously described. I attribute it to the difference in the cup oval vs. round placing the drivers at the optimum position, and that they fit/seal around my head better than the 750s.

Aug 6, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #4,135 of 5,942
Quote:

Looking forward to the comparison! I have not heard any of the Prolines and have wondered about the differences.

Listening to the Edition 9's right now (Michelle Shocked Short Sharp Shocked) and absolutely loving them. In many ways, these are more involving than my speaker based system. With synth pop or electronica (try Erasure The Innocents) the headphones are just AWESOME as the bass is about as good as it gets.

Aug 6, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #4,136 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, your friend may not be lying to you but he doesn't know his Ultrasones to save your life.

IMO not even his life....
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 6, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #4,137 of 5,942
Bootleg;3168907 said:
He then said he had a buddy who was an engineer type at Ultrasone's office on the East Coast somewhere and that he would call the guy and get his take on the 750 vs Ed 9.

A few hours later, my friend calls back and says that after some initial jockeying, the Ultrasone rep kinda "came clean" and stated that 90% of the difference between the two cans is "cosmetic stuff for audiophiles". He also mentioned that the 2500's are his personal favorite (even beyond that of the Ed 9's) because they have flatter frequency response.
QUOTE]

Quote:

I'm not saying they're better, just relating the story. YMMV

On one hand though, IF there are significant cosmetic upgrades to the Ed 9 (and of course there are...SIGNIFICANT ones), it might be reasonable to expect those creature comforts to add to the placebo effect...even beyond the knowledge of the huge jump in price.

...but I digress.

Frankly, I think what is going on is that people who have had the experience of both the 750 and the Edition 9s, and know them to sound very significantly different, are doubting the truth and certainly the reality of the statements you've "passed on" from your dealer. So none of us, who have questioned your story, were there and we don't know the facts, or how sincere and honest the dealer is. But then from what I gather you were not present for the alleged conversation (easy to put a little spin on things isn't it) reported by the dealer. Since there is so little fact to go on, and the story doesn't seem "right" to a number of us. The fact that there is no Ultrasone engineer in an office on the "East Coast" (your description) was one of the few things to go on. And I, for one, have learned to look carefully at the statements of my friendly audio dealer to try to determine if I'm being "sold" on something that meets their needs more than my needs.

By the way, mentioning maturity on another of your posts, I don't think anyone has called you a name, so I don't know why you want to start that. Before you go into denial, go back over your really recent posts and I'm sure you can figure it out. To sort of "call names" or insult at the beginning of a post makes the mellow ending "heart filled with aloha" seem insincere to me. Maybe it really is wine talking as swings like that can happen with the vino. You have put out (you're the one posting) some implications & inuendo that have elicited a strong reaction in me and others as it just doesn't fit our reality or 750s, Edition 9s, or myself (maybe--ourselves?).

So I will correct myself to meet the technical requirements of what your posts implied. I hope that once you are able to hear the 750 and the Edition 9s side by side, you'll come back here and report you findings. That should either give the implications in your posts the weight of experience or by your own experience refute them.

Aug 6, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #4,138 of 5,942
Quote:

havent read all of the posts yet, but i'll get to em.

Kindly remember that I LOVED the Ed 9's and was ready to buy them until my buddy talked me out of them. Since I had never heard the 750's I thought I'd give it a try just for kicks.

As to the story I related, allow me to clarify. I am now not 100% sure that my buddy said "east coast"...I think he may have said "back east".

The point is that I am in Hawaii, and as such the business day in the eastern us is often ending while its still morning here. My buddy had to make the call to catch the dude before he went home.

LOL!

Geesh!

Didn't know this stuff was going to go under the microscope like Law and Order!

I will have time enough to compare both cans...we have a mini-meet coming up at 4N6's house in a couple weeks and the 750's and Ed 9's will both see serious and critical listening time.

Now you know: Don't mess with the Ultrasone-Fanboys
wink.gif

Aug 6, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #4,139 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now you know: Don't mess with the Ultrasone-Fanboys
wink.gif

NO F-Ing SIHT DUDE!

Aug 6, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #4,140 of 5,942
Poehhh, Let's kill the bazookas people and shoot some love here LOL!!!
biggrin.gif

Bootleg, I am looking forward to your findings. Do post them over here if you still want.

Now I am off to Hans to drool over the ed9 again
wink.gif
Cya..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back