There's Something About Ultrasone…
Aug 6, 2007 at 7:19 AM Post #4,141 of 5,942
All I can say is: I wish I was 23 again! I would have lost SERIOUS sleep over this!

By the way, how can you 23-year old fanboys afford these Ed 9 toys? Got a trust fund or something?

Aug 6, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #4,142 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootleg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All I can say is: I wish I was 23 again! I would have lost SERIOUS sleep over this!

By the way, how can you 23-year old fanboys afford these Ed 9 toys? Got a trust fund or something?

Now is a comment like that coming from maturity or a heart filled with aloha?

Aug 6, 2007 at 8:17 AM Post #4,143 of 5,942
Quote:

Kanaka,

You bes go rub one out an get back to us!

...but I digress.

Clarified by Bootleg that Kanaka is currently slang used to mean brother. We're cool.

Aug 6, 2007 at 9:06 AM Post #4,144 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by ldj325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, mentioning maturity on another of your posts, I don't think anyone has called you a name, so I don't know why you want to start that. Before you go into denial, go back over your really recent posts and I'm sure you can figure it out. To sort of "call names" or insult at the beginning of a post makes the mellow ending "heart filled with aloha" seem insincere to me. Maybe it really is wine talking as swings like that can happen with the vino. You have put out (you're the one posting) some implications & inuendo that have elicited a strong reaction in me and others as it just doesn't fit our reality or 750s, Edition 9s, or myself (maybe--ourselves?).

BTW, I called Bootleg a skeptic but I think that being a skeptic is a positive thing to be without the experience to state otherwise.
wink.gif

Aug 6, 2007 at 11:27 AM Post #4,145 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, I called Bootleg a skeptic but I think that being a skeptic is a positive thing to be without the experience to state otherwise.
wink.gif

He will change his mind as soon as he compare both, rest assure of that....let just the magic happen.....
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
Skeptic, beleiver, whatever, the truth is that unless deaf, there is a huge difference between them, that anybody, and I mean that, anybody, not even an audiophile, or a golden ear, can pick up, so i hope he will as well....
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 6, 2007 at 11:56 AM Post #4,146 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, in all fairness, to the 750 & 2500, steven, you hardly had the chance to hear them at their best there since they tend to fair rather poorly in the absence of proper amplification.

But there's little doubt in my mind, owning all three, that the Edition 9s are in an entirely different league altogether. I'm looking forward to trying out two different aftermarket cables for the PROlines soonish, so I'll have a little better idea of how much further they can be taken in that regard.

You're absolutely right Dex. I'm sure the 750 and 2500 would sound much better properly amped. In a way it was fair though as I have mainly listened to my ED9 from the same unamped source. Maybe (probably?) ED9 are better able to shine with an average (certainly not poor) source than the prolines?

Aug 6, 2007 at 12:01 PM Post #4,147 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In a way it was fair though as I have mainly listened to my ED9 from the same unamped source. Maybe (probably?) ED9 are better able to shine with an average (certainly not poor) source than the prolines?

Perhaps your player unamped is better than my unamped iPod, steven. My PROlines and Edition 9 are essentially unlistenable when driven directly by it.
blink.gif

Aug 6, 2007 at 12:08 PM Post #4,148 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps your player unamped is better than my unamped iPod, steven. My PROlines and Edition 9 are essentially unlistenable when driven directly by it.
blink.gif

Yeah I would believe that is possible. I only bought the U3 after as much research and listening as I could do. a year ago when I bought it, it was as far as I believed, the best SQ mp3 player up to 4GB.

The sound is obviously inferior to a disc in a DVD player but far better than PC as source or my wifes creative mp3.

However I also think it possible that your ipod sounds better and I am just putting up with the U3 until my imod is up and running. Which brings me to... My imod was delivered today! 80GB. The HP out should sound the same as your 60GB so I will be able to compare them! I will post back but it will be a couple days before I do it. Never had an ipod before, don't want itunes and now have to research what to do! I know I will be able to do everything I want but don't know how yet.

Any advice appreciated, pm me!

Aug 6, 2007 at 12:23 PM Post #4,149 of 5,942
Well, just got back from Hans....and I've got a new toy!!
I said the blue Larocco vare-well and took back with me the Black mkII one with ad744 mod. I thought the choice would be an easy one....but no. It took me more than an hour to make up my mind. First tracks I listened to were to actually find out what the true difference between the two was.

The blue one is definately a tad more involving than the black one.
The black one sounds just a tad more warm wich I prefer with the vocals and acoustic songs.
But it sounds much much more calmer than the blue one. Seperating the sounds better. Highs were more pushed forward while the lows are slightly less than with the blue one. I think that with the blue one it sounds more involving because they push the lows more to the front....something like that. Don't know how to describe this properly so forgive me if this sounds a little....amateurish or even weird.
But anyways...a noticed on a couple of songs that for example the bass has a better texture and you can hear it seperately from other tones. With the blue one it melts together (only slightly).
After I found out what was the differ to me it was a question of what do you prefer most. A more neutral sound wich sounds calmer and thus a tad less involving, or a real involving sound at the cost of the detail.
I choose the first. I preferred the more calm sound overall.
But the differences are so subtle, it took me so long to figure out what to do. They are both truly killeramps for real! The best portable I have ever heard so far without a doubt.
Ow, and worth mentioning, the ad744 has a hiss for sure! When you put your ipod on pause it's noticably there. With the gainswitch flipped at the wrong side, even more. But not very disturbing to my ears. When the music comes in it is no longer audible.

Ah yes, the ed9.....listened to Little Monsters from Charlotte Gainsbourg with the 750 first and swopped to the ed9...so good so far....and than back to the 750 and that's when it went wrong. Jeeeeeezzzzzz they are sooooo goooooodddddd!!!!!!!!!!! (the ed9 I mean). Holy moly....they are sure on the wanna-have list. For the ears swopping back to the 750 is just not an option haha!
But, they are out of my head now, just banned cause I don't want to feel miserable and I do love my 750 deerly. But one day it will make place for the king of heaven to the ears!!
Well, that was it for now...have to go. Ciao you lovely people!

Ow and I forgot to mention:
Thank you Hans for making this possible! It's nice dealing with you!
Hope you have a great afternoon at the beach and more sun than over here. Here it's slowly getting more clouded
plainface.gif

And Dex, your cable looks absolute sweeeett!! Didn't listen to it though, I think Hans wants to have the honour of that
wink.gif

But definitely a great built! Hope you get to enjoy it soon.

Aug 6, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #4,150 of 5,942
ldj325 - the dictionary has it wrong. Kanaka, in common usage means "brother" or "one of the boys"

and there was a little wine talking there...sorry

Aug 6, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #4,151 of 5,942
Quote:

ldj325 - the dictionary has it wrong. Kanaka, in common usage means "brother" or "one of the boys"

and there was a little wine talking there...sorry

Good, I much prefer that translation.
cool.gif

Aug 7, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #4,152 of 5,942
So I got mah Proline 2500. This pair used to be slwiser's, so I am going to very very safely assume this is completely burned in (thanks for taking great care of it owners - Steve and then Brian).

Day 1 of Ultrasone experience, just opened, listening to the first song (metal, Symphony X):
1. Holy crap, the actual frequency spectrum never sounded so right, there is not too much of everything (apart from being tiny bit sibilant, but that might be the recording).
2. This thing is fast. I like that.
3. This S-Logic business is weird...why is music in frontal lobe?

I can definitely play this game though, lets see what this headphone got to say. This is definitely my headphone of choice for any rock or metal, it rubs current production Grados into the ground. All of them.

Aug 7, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #4,153 of 5,942
Quote:

Did you mention 23 year olds? I am 19 and I can afford 1. But I probably won't buy one till I am 23.

Aug 7, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #4,154 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you mention 23 year olds? I am 19 and I can afford 1. But I probably won't buy one till I am 23.

You are richer than I was at your age...Enjoy it!

Aug 7, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #4,155 of 5,942
Quote:

You are richer than I was at your age...Enjoy it!

I am really trying to instead of sending myself into enjoying being broke again. (This is a repeated cycle...thank god for a decently paying job).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back