Themed Monthly Avatar Committee (TMAC) discussion thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 12, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #9,556 of 12,550
  Here's something that came up in the DT880 thread, since apparently Beyer is offering products that use it:

http://www.es-salmonleather.com/

I couldn't actually find anywhere on Beyer's site where one could order anything made with this stuff, but that pales in interest next to the fact that salmon leather exists at all. I'd never heard of it before, and I gather it's a relatively recent entrant to the market (even if the technique was known previously).

Odd that it should be on  a headphone from what I have seen and felt of it the stuff doesn't look too durable.(oh just read that link how cool is that even more durable than cow )

I saw this stuff a couple years ago, this local high end bookbinder had it in a book form ( archival quality paper ) with the two ends wrapping around and folding over.

Very soft though. Cool find about Beyer!

Oct 12, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #9,559 of 12,550
It's tempting to use it always because it is so much faster than the home wifi......but I don't have unlimited data, either, so no streaming video unless wifi is available.

Fortunately, before this I had learned already how much data streaming video eats up, especially in HD....lol. I am usually somewhere where there is wifi access, I just have to be disciplined enough to use it, even if downloads take 2 or 3 times as long.  First world problems, I know.:wink:  
I have wifi at work, I just wanted to run lots of speed tests, vid streaming and large file dling just to see how fast I could get it to go. :D

Oct 12, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #9,561 of 12,550
Bought my first set of proper speakers.. (not active monitors, but floor standers)

I'm not sure how i feel.

I think i like them more than any headphone I've owned. but on the other hand, compared to some things i've owned, namely the T1, they seem a bit lacking in certain details.

10/10 no regrets for electronic music though.

Oct 12, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #9,562 of 12,550
So - you gonna let us in on the secret of what speakers you bought??

With speakers, the room is critical. Put them in a good room and sit at the right spot, then enjoy the much greater sense of space and location of the instruments.

Oct 12, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #9,563 of 12,550
For me, every post is marked by Satan, so the post number really doesn't matter...
tongue.gif

Strangely arousing.

My vote goes to Nick Dangerous November.

Naked Nick Dangerous November.

NeverMind November,...'nuff said.

Naked NeverMind November.

Get your mind out of the gutter!!

You'll stay in that gutter naked, and like it.

Like a twinky does at a save the whales party :wink:.

My mother is a saint.

Originally Posted by Argyris /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's a sexy lady right there.

The absense of cheese makes it even more arousing.

Wow. The general silence in here today could deafen a cricket.

This is what happens when TwinQY doesn't post. He would have come along and said something truly witty and potentially withering about my sexy lady post, and that would have gotten a dialogue going.

Naked crickets.

Dialogue gone.

You know it's bad when SO is the one who pipes up.
biggrin.gif

Who gave him the pipe? By god they've doomed us all...

Originally Posted by Silent One /img/forum/go_quote.gif

dt880smile.png
 Now that's bad!!!

Not as bad as you with a pipe.

I thought Firday the 13th was last month...

Gotta keep up with those Miley Cyrus updates, eh?

By god they've doomed us all...

Bubbles......
blink.gif

The bogger in her nose is disgusting.

You guys are impossible to keep up with. 

You should really ban us all.

Especially that chickenduck Warren, he's the most unruly out of all of us.

Oct 12, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #9,566 of 12,550
  Bought my first set of proper speakers.. (not active monitors, but floor standers)

I'm not sure how i feel.

I think i like them more than any headphone I've owned. but on the other hand, compared to some things i've owned, namely the T1, they seem a bit lacking in certain details.

10/10 no regrets for electronic music though.

Whenever I go back to speakers after spending a lot of time listening to headphones, I feel almost nearsighted, like I can't focus on the music. The detail just isn't presented the same way, and a lot of it is probably not supposed to be. Headphones, by nature of their presentation, highlight detail. Where I think speakers have the upper hand, like billybob said, is in imaging and depth. Headphones give an anemic illusion of a z-axis, whereas speakers project a much more convincing one. Speakers are also more tactile (particularly in the bass), whereas headphones are more analytical.

Positioning and room acoustics play into it as well. I have two pairs of the same speakers--one in the living room with carpet and fabric-covered furniture, and one in a loft space with bare floors and very little to absorb reflections. They sound pretty good, if a bit bright, in the former space, but muddy and confused in the latter. In the former space they're on their own little tables, on ear-level when sitting down. In the latter space they're slightly above ear level and on bookshelves. The latter isn't optimum, and it shows in the overall sound, but I don't have anywhere else to put them.

Oct 12, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #9,568 of 12,550
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back