Themed Monthly Avatar Committee (TMAC) discussion thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #7,816 of 12,550
Looks like I had some pretty messed-up kids.

Thinking back we could have just thrown a birth control pill into the mixture to negate the effects. Hindsight you are bittersweet. Like spoilt cheese. Or cheese of any kind. What I'm trying to say is that cheese is awful, Bach is awful, and my neighbours make weird beeping noises.

Sep 6, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #7,817 of 12,550
I'm still having trouble with this Miley Cyrus thing...

If people are going to buy a Miley Cyrus album only because it's outrageous, and Miley Cyrus is being outrageous because she knows people will buy it - then that means Miley Cyrus doesn't really give a cr@p about her music - she just wants to capitalize on people's hang-ups.

OK - but are the people just too stupid to realize that her skankiness is just an act - OR - is the fact that her skankiness is just an act irrelevant because the people are too stupid to realize that really being skanky is much worse than just acting like you are skanky?

The alternative is that Miley Cyrus actually believes her skankiness is art and she's too stupid to realize that people are only buying her albums because they are outrageous. But that means that people are too stupid to realize that Miley Cyrus is getting rich because people are buying her skanky albums.

I think I just pulled a muscle in my brain...

Answer: People who buy her music aren't typically the sharpest bunch. I doubt anything like that crosses their minds. "Blonde chick, party, drugs, sex!" That's about it.

Sep 6, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #7,818 of 12,550
She's seen the kind of money that the Kartrashians rake in by basically being annoying but always being in the news, and probably thought to herself, "I can do that, and not have to get peed on by a wannabe rapper on film like Kim did!" 

So far, her plan seems to be working....for the better or worse of the rest of civilization.

She already has more money than all the Kardashians, combined. :eek:

Sep 6, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #7,819 of 12,550
With great money comes great responsibility. 

Instead of that though, they wear awful beige-colored body pantyhoses and gyrate to a song advocating for more cat fetishisms. Why can't they just cut out the middleman and take their tops off...

Sep 6, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #7,820 of 12,550
Answer: People who buy her music aren't typically the sharpest bunch. I doubt anything like that crosses their minds. "Blonde chick, party, drugs, sex!" That's about it.

Yep. Couldn't put it better myself.

Something that I find hard to imagine (given how important music and audio are to me) is that there are lots of people out there who don't really care that much about music. It's not just that they're into different genres than you or I might be--to them it's just something to put on in the background. If it's got a beat they can dance to or blare at a party, it's as good as anything else with those same attributes. With standards that low to hit, basically anything you shove through a bit (or a lot) of Autotune will suffice.

I imagine a large portion of the people who buy her music fall into the above category.

Sep 6, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #7,821 of 12,550
  Why can't they just cut out the middleman and take their tops off...

Paradoxically, I think if the FCC let them do just that, you'd have a few performances like that, then everybody would get bored and move on to something else. It's the existence of the rules (for good or for bad--I'm not going to bring the censorship debate in here) that generates the market for this kind of thing. "How close can we get to violating the restrictions without actually doing it? What new way can we come up with of pushing the envelope?" are the questions asked by both the people who put these things together and the people who tune in to watch. It's a game. If all of a sudden you could put anything at all you wanted on, the fun would be lost. So what? So she's got her boobs out. Is there any reason why she shouldn't? What else is on?

Sep 6, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #7,822 of 12,550
I think we all have some sort of expectation of everyone liking/appreciating music. The subculture and sensation surrounding it permeates and ingrains itself much too deeply into media, and culture in general. A constant within social conventions is often to ask about one's music tastes. But that jumps the gun wit the assumption that the person enjoys music if at all. And of course if one fails to meet this social expectation, it just becomes fodder for criticism. I for one, am perfectly fine with people not enjoying music anymore. I'm perfectly fine with the notion that people can simply enjoy the underlying subculture and not the substance.

Sep 6, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #7,823 of 12,550
Yeah, I certainly won't judge people if they don't absolutely love music, or at the very least don't get out of it as much as I do. I actually tend to have somewhat narrow tastes, but I delve deeply into them and mine out everything I can get. It's a reflection of my personality in general, actually. Lots of other people have really eclectic tastes but don't, for instance, collect a large part of an artist's discography. If they buy classical, they'll get one of those "Beethoven's Greatest Hits" discs rather than collect up different performances of the same piece or try to find one preferred recording of each of the nine symphonies. To me, the texture and tone of the different instruments and the way it all fits together is a big part of my enjoyment. To others this might be less important. 

There are plenty of other contrasting examples I could make. All this adds up to music being just another interest for a lot of people, rather than an important cornerstone of their lives. I have interests like that, too, that don't matter as much. The TV in my room is an old 32" SD tube one, which I've never even considered upgrading because television just isn't that big a deal to me. I have games I bought years ago which I've never completed. In fact, nearly all of them are like that. I'm just not a huge gamer.

Still. A life where Miley Cyrus is equivalent to something by Jethro Tull? I can't even imagine what that's got to be like.

Sep 6, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #7,824 of 12,550
Speaking of eclectic tastes...sorry, have to put in another plug for a lesser known thread. 

I take the approach of having bits and pieces of something, as it allows me to anchor the particular artist down and expand on it whenever I feel inclined to. In that sense one gets the best of both worlds, as it's sometimes unfathomable to make heads or tails of a library of that size. I'm also really picky and subscribe to the "if it's not a single, or meant to make the album a holistic experience, off it goes" mentality. I try to avoid that as often as possible with my actual archive but for playlists I catch myself going about it in quite an excessive manner.

It'd be a life where Bach is equivalent to something by Jethro Tull. Can you imagine?

Sep 6, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #7,825 of 12,550
The panda has been kidnapped by the anime & manga thread. They want a ransom of 3 quailty IEMs or a ripe pineapple to release him.

Mr Violin has gone off-tune for the past 3 weeks and 4 days looking for new strings for his bow......

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #7,826 of 12,550
Thanks to Wink for breaking up the "serious discussion" - for a minute there, I thought I was in the diary thread...

To Miley Cyrus:

You can take the redneck out of the trailer park, but you can't take the trailer park out of the redneck...

Sep 6, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #7,827 of 12,550
Welcome back Twink-E!

Well I would have, but that freedom-os-using beatnik ragamuffin beat me to the punch.
:dt880smile: You took too long. :D You could've been Prof X! Not really a hero but, one of the fathers of heroes!

Hawaii - the most decadent and offensive out of all the words in the English language.
Yes, the dirty filthy home of the pineapple, the 2nd most offensive word.

Sep 6, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #7,828 of 12,550

Rap Music + blonde chick, a real hottie ...

basshead.gif

Sep 6, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #7,829 of 12,550

Rap Music + blonde chick, a real hottie ...

basshead.gif

Wow...that is most unfortunate. >_<
Top comment:
 If the video is for her boyfriend why post it on you Tube?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back