Jul 31, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #6,547 of 12,550
Jul 31, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #6,550 of 12,550
Comic Sans MS, yo. I just typed it in msword and pasted it here. XD

TMAC - Anime August

What new breed of comic sans is this??

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #6,553 of 12,550
Aug 1, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #6,555 of 12,550
Quote:
Please enlighten the young'n what microsoft Bob is? I know what and 8track is and I'm collecting (and listening to) vinyl, I've got Wolfenstein 3D on floppy, but I don't know what microsoft bob is.

Microsoft Bob was the company's mid-90s attempt at what it called a "social" interface for Windows. Essentially it was a series of virtual "rooms" drawn up like different rooms in a house, wherein the objects were often skeuomorphic representations of their function. It also came with virtual assistants who led you through wizard-style scripts to accomplish common tasks like setting up your address book or writing a letter (sound familiar? Yep, it's proto-Clippy on an OS-wide scale!).

It was almost universally panned after release and the project was cancelled within a year. It was intended as a shell for Windows 3.1 (which was at the time quickly superseded by Windows 95), and by the 98 days it was long gone. Evidently it runs, with minor tweaking, on XP, which is how perhaps the majority of people who have ever seen it will have done so since it only sold ~60k copies in its lifetime (I'm not sure if that includes OEM sales or not).

A couple of my favorite articles on Bob. PCWorld had a good one for a long time, but alas, it seems to have recently disappeared without a trace:

http://technologizer.com/2010/03/29/microsoft-bob/
http://technologizer.com/2010/03/29/a-guided-tour-of-microsoft-bob/

EDIT: It was a shell for Windows 3.1, not Windows 95...not sure why I got that detail confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back