The WS99/WS77 PG 57..
Feb 10, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #61 of 1,799
I am gonna guess around 5-6db boost in bass so definitely not neutral bass. It has a fun amount but not M-100 levels either. The sub bass is good but rolls off on them and don't have the industrial strength the WS99 has. So not really for bass fans..But it is their mids that shine like crazy. The sweet smooth forward mids on them are the main attraction.. They are also on ears and need the WS55 pads which ends up being more money but is well worth it.

I don't find the WS99 recessed in any part of the sound. It is not as forward in the mids like the ES700 but I wouldn't say they are neutral in the mids either..These have absolutely no part of a U or V shape sound. On bass light tracks you can tell the mids are a solid notch forward.

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #62 of 1,799
Quote:
I am gonna guess around 5-6db boost in bass so definitely not neutral bass. It has a fun amount but not M-100 levels either. The sub bass is good but rolls off on them and don't have the industrial strength the WS99 has. So not really for bass fans..But it is their mids that shine like crazy. The sweet smooth forward mids on them are the main attraction.. They are also on ears and need the WS55 pads which ends up being more money but is well worth it.

On that note, how would you say the E700's bass compares to that of the stock JVC HA-S500's? Given that the S500 pretty much produces my ideal level/presentation of bass (the M-100's bass -- while certainly fun and superior in detail, texture, and control -- is a tad stronger than my usual preference), I'd be very curious to hear your take on this one.

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #63 of 1,799
If memory serves me correct the mid bass levels are very similar but the sub bass the HA-S500 is stronger..  I am at my home at the moment and I have both cans at my place of business so I can compare a bit better tomorrow.. I have a 5 splitter I use just for A/Bing. So I will have a better answer for you.

The SQ on the ES700 however is at another level over the HA-S500..I can tell you that much for certain. Honestly I don't own too many cans that do one over in SQ over the ES700.

Danny owns both I will message him as ask if he can chime in. You might get your answer from him.

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #64 of 1,799
Quote:
If memory serves me correct the mid bass levels are very similar but the sub bass the HA-S500 is stronger..  I am at my home at the moment and I have both cans at my place of business so I can compare a bit better tomorrow.. I have a 5 splitter I use just for A/Bing. So I will have a better answer for you.

The SQ on the ES700 however is at another level over the HA-S500..I can tell you that much for certain. Honestly I don't own too many cans that do one over in SQ over the ES700.

Danny owns both I will message him as ask if he can chime in. You might get your answer from him.

Many thanks, Dsnuts. Looking forward to your further thoughts.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #65 of 1,799
Bass as I hear it between the S500 vs. ES700

ES700 extends deeper and hold a longer note in the deeper regions.  Mid-bass are very similar.  S500 might have slightly more impact.  

Overall, both headphones are more similar than different for me.  The ES700 have a wider stage, S500's treble has a higher peak.  Vocals just as forward on both but ES700's has a smoother presentation.  

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #66 of 1,799
Quote:

ES700 extends deeper and hold a longer note in the deeper regions.  Mid-bass are very similar.  S500 might have slightly more impact.  

Overall, both headphones are more similar than different for me.  The ES700 have a wider stage, S500's treble has a higher peak.  Vocals just as forward on both but ES700's has a smoother presentation.  

Sounds pretty tantalizing.
biggrin.gif
Thanks for chiming in, DannyBai. Looks like I might have another set of cans to add to my ever-growing wishlist...

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #67 of 1,799
Quote:

Sounds pretty tantalizing.
biggrin.gif
Thanks for chiming in, DannyBai. Looks like I might have another set of cans to add to my ever-growing wishlist...

Not a problem.  I tried many different tracks to distinguish the differences.  This makes me realize once again how good the S500's are.  I think the ES700's seem like the appropriate step up from the S500's.  It's more refined and easier to listen to for me.  

P.S.  I had to change pads on the S500's to get similar sounds.  At first I had the Sennheiser velours on there but the bass was too much so I changed the pads to the bigger pleathers that's mentioned on the S500 thread because it gives a more balanced sound I like with the S500's.  I am using the WS55 pads on the ES700's.  

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #68 of 1,799
Audiophile world y u so expensive?

Well it don't have to be.. I bought my Fire Phoenix DAC AMP for $90 around $105 shipped. I changed the Op amps on this unit to a nicer one but that chip didn't set me back more than $16 or so.

You can get a "ele dac" on ebay for $12.. !
Or a muse dac for 20-30 ..
All on ebay :)

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #69 of 1,799

Excellent descriptions thank you.
How would you describe the resolution-detail-&sensitivity?
I know thats nitpicking I am sure thier excellent.

Feb 11, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #71 of 1,799
Quote:
So how does the WS99 compare to S500? I find the S500's to be very suitable for my portable use,but if these are an improvement, I'll bite.

Wider stage for one. Grander sound is another. The mids don't seem as forward as the ES700 because the entire sound signature is forward. ES700 got some magic going on with that sound. The ES700 is definitely a more sophisticated sound to them over the WS99.  But these cans are just fun as all get out. Bass cans are supposed to be fun. These do that with shinning colors.  They have more Bass than the HA-S500 or the ES700. Tight but bold mid bass is on the WS99 makes obvious bass music just out of your mind great. Great sub bass and speed.  Trance on these can!!
basshead.gif
Combination of stage depth lushness and an aggressive bass tuning. And oh man. I was gonna put on the HA-S500 but I can't right now. 

Feb 11, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #73 of 1,799
The negative is they do have some shallow cups. The sound is big as the driver is right over your ear and I hope AT will do a angled driver version with slightly bigger cups. I have medium ears and they fit fairly snug on my ears. I can see room for improvement in these cans. I prefer vocals on my ES700. But these cans are for fans of Bass. If not I would look at the ES700. The surprising thing about the ES700 is they have  solid fun amount of bass. So I am very certain while these cans drive to good levels on a DAP. Get yourself a nice porable amp to really drive these big drivers. They sound too good not to. Try it out. I am burning them in and they just sound good like all other AT cans I have heard this year. Almost too good.

A bit of good news for me is the clamp loosens up more so now I can have them on much longer. So out of box there is a clamp but after some use it loosens. What I do is just bend them out a bit and they start to loosen up after that. But it will be interesting to hear what the Shure SRH840 pads will sound like on these cans.

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #74 of 1,799
Quote:
Excellent descriptions thank you.
How would you describe the resolution-detail-&sensitivity?
I know thats nitpicking I am sure thier excellent.

The ES700 ups the S500 in resolution detail.  It's a less fatiguing sound that's smooth.  I wouldn't call the S500's smooth in comparison.  You have to crank the volume up a notch or two on the ES700 to match the S500.  

Feb 11, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #75 of 1,799
Wow just noticed the Achilles heel. .
No detachable cord. .
Oh well no biggie for me actually.
Just got spoiled with others.
Just did my taxes so 2 more weeks to salavate before purchasing lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back