The WS99/WS77 PG 57..
Feb 10, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #46 of 1,799
Quote:
I felt like the male vocals were recessed, but hey sound is subjective.

I have a feeling that the WS99's will have more forward vocals then the M100's from Ds's impressions and the way AT has been going lately with their tuning.  I sure hope the M100's will be up your alley.  Then again no one has compared them yet so who knows.  I don't find the M100's to have recessed vocals but it doesn't come close to how the ES700's sound in the midrange.  

Feb 10, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #47 of 1,799
Nope no recessed male vocals. If anything it is a tad forward in the mix  the balance is similar to the other new AT cans.. More balanced than any dip anywhere I can detect, great texture too in the vocals adds to the lushness of the sound.  It is a shame you didn't try these on something more substantial. Oh well it is what it is.

Feb 10, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #48 of 1,799
Haha I will have my hands on those 700 soon :)
I wished the 99 had the same headband.

Feb 10, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #49 of 1,799
Quote:
Nope no recessed male vocals. If anything it is a tad forward in the mix  the balance is similar to the other new AT cans.. More balanced than any dip anywhere I can detect, great texture too in the vocals adds to the lushness of the sound.  It is a shame you didn't try these on something more substantial. Oh well it is what it is.

Well I think I'll back out now. Since I haven't had very many cans I don't have much comparison so for the most part I don't know what I'm talking about. Hope I didn't tarnish the WS99 if it really is as great as you say they are.

Feb 10, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #50 of 1,799
Quote:
Haha I will have my hands on those 700 soon
smily_headphones1.gif

I wished the 99 had the same headband.

Look forward to your take on them. Love me some ES700s..The mids alone are worth the asking price for them.

Feb 10, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #51 of 1,799
Quote:
Well I think I'll back out now. Since I haven't had very many cans I don't have much comparison so for the most part I don't know what I'm talking about. Hope I didn't tarnish the WS99 if it really is as great as you say they are.

No worries my friend. You tried them and they weren't to your liking. Simple..I get rid of stuff for the exact same reason. But keep tabs on this thread as you will want to read how these truly sounds. You sold them as they didn't meet your expectations. No harm in that..Plus you might get a much better can in a M100.

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #57 of 1,799
True. FXZs, XBAs  CKS1000 for certain..I remember Rangen telling me he loved his CKS77.. Those are only 14 ohms. My most sensitive earphones actually. These will drive absolutely blisteringly loud on anything..

That right there going from a 14 ohm earphone to a 37 Ohm full sized can. I mean. Both will not drive the same. The lesson to be learned here is. It is highly recommended to have even a cheaper dac amp. Especially if full sized cans are on the plate.. Generally earphones are made to be used on portable sources so naturally they will be much more efficient. Unless we are talking about multi driver iem or ciems..

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #59 of 1,799
Well it don't have to be.. I bought my Fire Phoenix DAC AMP for $90 around $105 shipped. I changed the Op amps on this unit to a nicer one but that chip didn't set me back more than $16 or so.

This little unit drives every can and earphone I have to the fullest. It can drive 300 Ohm cans with ease.. I did buy new Audio-GD 15.32 Dac Amp just today but that was also a reasonable $235 for the type of unit that is.. So one step at a time.. Also I would take full advantage of the sale forums. Sometimes you will see a guy selling something like this for cheap. http://www.head-fi.org/t/645605/fiio-e07k-new-version-nib#post_9043612  This is exactly the type of kit you can use immediately on your iphone and your computer.

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #60 of 1,799
Dsnuts, you have both ES700 and WS99, how much bass exactly does the ES700 have, is it like neutral or slightly boosted, any other headphones you could compare it to quantity wise. I've gotten a bit interested in ES700 due to its midrange performance as I've become more and more a fan of a great & non-recessed / slightly forward midrange compared to very big bass headphones, if I need that extra bass, digiZoid ZO will usually deliver it too.

You compare WS99 almost to XB levels quantity wise but what about ES700? Ideally around 7~8dB or so boost fits me best if paired with digiZoid ZO amp from my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back