The WS99/WS77 PG 57..
Feb 9, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #16 of 1,799
Quote:

From the urban dictionary:

Quote:
3. nvm  
  In contrary to popular belief, "nvm" doesn't mean "nevermind" or "not very much".

Multiple government agencies have tried to hide the real definition of this three letter acronym. Urban Dictionary is now exclusively revealing it to be "naked vagina monster".

You heard it here first. nvm: naked vagina monster.

Lol!

Feb 9, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #19 of 1,799
I didn't like them,  They reminded me of a more comfortable PRO700MK2 though.
M-100's have more bass, but the WS99 has more detail.

Feb 9, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #21 of 1,799
This is not a dark sounding can with mud for bass.. The tonality has a smoothness to it with a slight touch of warmth but is by no means the dark dank Pro700Mk2. Then if you hear the bass notes this can has some of the fastest bass I have ever heard making these also my 2nd pick for rock and 1st for metal. Double kick drums never had more authority. .

You can't listen to metal on the Pro700Mk2.. Lol. RPG knows. He was there.

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #23 of 1,799
Dammnit, I basically just bought the Somics!!
Which is supposedly better?

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #24 of 1,799
Quote:
How is the isolation on these ?

Excellent above average for closed cans. Not the absolute best isolation but not terrible. No sound leakage as far as I can tell. Not from the cups anyway. The aluminum housing they use on here isolates really well and also has them dual air chamber layers on the cups to help isolate even better.

Quote:
Dammnit, I basically just bought the Somics!!
Which is supposedly better?

Somics will be excellent for their cost. These are excellent for what these cost. It all depends on how much your willing to spend to find out.

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #25 of 1,799
Quote:
how are your first impressions different from the ES700? I was planning on buying ES700s possibly in the next week so I was wondering if the sound quality of the ws99 is any better or in what's way it's different. Since you were heavily recommeding to buy WS55 pads for the ES700, I was wondering if I should just get the WS99. The pads would cost me around 30 bucks so the Ws99 might end up cheaper. Also, is the WS99 really a big upgrade from the WS55?

The WS99 is a substantial upgrade to the WS55. A big leap in SQ.. My advice is simple. If you want what is a peep into the high grade AT sound go for the ES700 with WS55 pads. Especially if your into your mids.

If your more a fan of the low end and want a nice high end tuning to your bass phone and also want a full sized can instead of a portable one with nice isolation the WS99.

Feb 10, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #26 of 1,799
How would you compare mids & highs balance wise. I kinda hate V-shaped sound (hollow, thin/lack of lushness, bright) as much as a too dark veiled highs (muddy, thick, warm) sound with a bassy can, it's important that the mids & highs are on a fairly even level which I found my Q40 to do great at, bass boosted but even mids & highs balance. DT770 Pro, D1100, LP2 for example all weren't very enjoyable for me due to not good enough mids & highs balance. I can appriciate slightly warm (actually slight warmth is welcome) better than slightly cold/bright sound, for me it's all about the mids vs highs balance when speaking of warmth or cold sound signatures, DT770 Pro may be a very bassy headphone but it sure is cold/bright due to the hollow midrange and not to mention the PRO900...

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #27 of 1,799
Quote:
The WS99 is a substantial upgrade to the WS55. A big leap in SQ.. My advice is simple. If you want what is a peep into the high grade AT sound go for the ES700 with WS55 pads. Especially if your into your mids.

If your more a fan of the low end and want a nice high end tuning to your bass phone and also want a full sized can instead of a portable one with nice isolation the WS99.

The WS99 are actually more expensive than the ES700 here. Is the ES700 really that much better than the WS99? I mean, if the ES700 is slightly better than the ES7, than, is the ES7 as good as the WS99?

Btw, you mentioned how good they are for sub-bass. How is the sub-bass presentation (quantity/quality) of the WS99 when compared to the XB700, XB1000 and D2000? Thanks in advance! :)

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #28 of 1,799
I mean, if the ES700 is slightly better than the ES7, than, is the ES7 as good as the WS99?
I don't know why U keep thinking the es7 comes close.
I owned three es7 and they were good but no way should it come close to anything here.
My esw9 kicked its but in detail and overall sound.

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #30 of 1,799
Quote:
How would you compare mids & highs balance wise. I kinda hate V-shaped sound (hollow, thin/lack of lushness, bright) as much as a too dark veiled highs (muddy, thick, warm) sound with a bassy can, it's important that the mids & highs are on a fairly even level which I found my Q40 to do great at, bass boosted but even mids & highs balance. DT770 Pro, D1100, LP2 for example all weren't very enjoyable for me due to not good enough mids & highs balance. I can appriciate slightly warm (actually slight warmth is welcome) better than slightly cold/bright sound, for me it's all about the mids vs highs balance when speaking of warmth or cold sound signatures, DT770 Pro may be a very bassy headphone but it sure is cold/bright due to the hollow midrange and not to mention the PRO900...

I am very confident in the sound balancing on the WS99. It is a marvel what they did with this can. AT always expands and does one better than previous generation of cans and earphones and these WS99. Well you are describing how these sound RPG..Gone are any type of too sharp or V shape sound. Unnaturally cold or too dark sounding Bass can. The highs and the mids don't take a seat back to the lows.. This dual air chamber makes these cans sound like they are using multiple drivers. Sound separation and control is another stand out aspect of this sound. These cans have the best Bass control I have ever heard on anything..Lesser bass cans can boost the lower mids with mid bass which kinda skews the sound, Believe me most if not all of them do.  Not on these cans..If you let some one hear vocal music or anything bass light these cans will absolutely shine for that and sound like a highly refined can for that matter,  but when it's time to get nitty gritty with that ground shaking club bass. These cans bring it with the same lush full smooth mids and that dynamic highs presentation. I never thought I would see the day this type of sound could actually be a reality..

I was somewhat worried about reports of possibly a too warm of a signature. Believe me these are a quantum leap over the Pro900Mk2. The tonality on these cans only comes second the astounding ES700 for vocals..These have a slight tilt toward a warm signature but every bit of the sound is refined like I have never heard before in a bass can.. I simply never heard this type of refinement in most cans let alone one with outstanding bass response.

The fine balancing. The extreme depth to the highs, mids and bass, The complete use of the grand sense of space that you hear for this tuning,.Lushness in the mids with added smoothness and outstanding definition,  One of the most refined bass presentations I have ever heard on any can with a speedy full bore bass end. Add to that the fact that these are easy to drive and you get one crazy great can. 

Quote:

The WS99 are actually more expensive than the ES700 here. Is the ES700 really that much better than the WS99? I mean, if the ES700 is slightly better than the ES7, than, is the ES7 as good as the WS99?

Btw, you mentioned how good they are for sub-bass. How is the sub-bass presentation (quantity/quality) of the WS99 when compared to the XB700, XB1000 and D2000? Thanks in advance! :)

Sub bass quality and quantity is CLUB level. I will venture to guess on a similar level to the XB cans in the sub bass arena. That full bore bass you hear at clubs are very well represented here..I know previous cheaper bass cans gives out gobs of bass just to say they have extra bass but none touch the level of overall refinement I am hearing on these cans. I am very eager for Danny to get these so he can let all of us know how these stack up to his M-100 and his Tiestos.. I am thinking these 2 cans might be more closer to the level of sound these WS99 have. He will let us know.

I only wish my D2000 had the lush full deep mids of these cans. Lol. That can is representative of the old school V fun bass signature..These WS99 leaves the Denons behind for their balance alone let alone an actual deeper more richer sound. The sub bass on the D2000 is commendable but the quantity and quality on the WS99 is a step above them in this area and with much faster speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back