The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Nov 24, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #3,347 of 7,980
Quote:
I'm listening to the 4.A right now, with the Magnus cable and powered by the Leckerton. You will not be disappointed with this combo, I assure you.

I'm curious myself what op amp you're using. I have the 8610 stored away in it's box and rolled op amp 209 into the MK II tonight. It's a pretty nice sounding op amp far more transparent then the 8610 but mind you I've only heard the 8610 on my UHA-4 thus far. I ordered my MK II with 627AP pre installed and I liked the fun smooth presentation with my V-MODA M-100 but the 209 seems to be winning me over in overall clarity and presentation. It's especially winning me over with my Sony MDR EX 600 IEM's. Right now I'm thinking either the 8610 or the 209 are the two op amps to go with on the MK II. Have you tried any other op amp choices besides the 8610ARZ OPA209AID or OPA627AP yet?

Nov 24, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #3,348 of 7,980
Gah, 1 hour left (according to PST) to make my decision between the 4As, V6, C4, Miracles, and Tg334!. Do I want to spend more, less, idk...

Nov 24, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #3,349 of 7,980
Gah, 1 hour left (according to PST) to make my decision between the 4As, V6, C4, Miracles, and Tg334!. Do I want to spend more, less, idk...

Sounds exactly like my dilemma. I ended up deciding to go with this excellent 4.A sale since I figure unless I somehow got to hear multiple other customs I'll probably really like whatever I pick.

That and I got the 4.A with wood faceplate and upgraded cable for less than even the V6.

Nov 24, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #3,350 of 7,980
Sounds exactly like my dilemma. I ended up deciding to go with this excellent 4.A sale since I figure unless I somehow got to hear multiple other customs I'll probably really like whatever I pick.
That and I got the 4.A with wood faceplate and upgraded cable for less than even the V6.

Haha, i couldn't do that. That thought of something better out there will always haunt me. And of course it will always get better as time passes. But i guess im looking for something that can utterly blow me away, as i sold all my gear to fund CIEM and returned my M100s.

Nov 24, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #3,352 of 7,980
Haha, i couldn't do that. That thought of something better out there will always haunt me. And of course it will always get better as time passes. But i guess im looking for something that can utterly blow me away, as i sold all my gear to fund CIEM and returned my M100s.

Yeah but in this case 'better' is quite subjective and, with customs being what they are, you aren't likely to get a chance to directly compare them. So you've at least got to try to just pick one and enjoy it (and yes, preaching to myself as much as I am to you) :wink:

Nov 24, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #3,353 of 7,980
Why not 8.A then?

Mainly because its a lil pricy in my opinion (the options i have should cost me under $800-900) and also that I don't care too much for bass. Oh, and the vast soundstage of the Tg334 and the C4 are also affecting my decision heavily.

Oh and regarding the subjectivity thing, the reason I returned the M100s was because it was lacking the clarity I wanted. I had no other cans to compare it to, but i still returned it. I wanted something"better" as subjective as it seemed because i knew they existed in my budget range. It seems like the only thing that could possibly ease my suffering is if Heir stops their sale in an hour :wink:. Gotta teach myself some more self control

Nov 24, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #3,354 of 7,980
Damn I wish the sale was lasting a bit longer! I'd probably take the plunge if it was. 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #3,355 of 7,980
Quote:
Sorenslim, if you're reading this I want you to know I blame you completely for this temptation and expect you to send me a huge bottle of the strongest European whiskey you can find to my place for immediate consumption. Don't you dare send me any pork or I shall hunt you down and steal your 8A's. 

I'm from Denmark, how about some Schnapps instead? 
Quote:
Good for you!
I feel your pain brother....I bought the 8.A ..AND...4.A this week. I really didn't need to eat this month anyway

Edit: and oh yeah, I think Sorensiim is to blame here... I think he is expecting a Christmas bonus from Fink and Heir 
tongue.gif

As I posted in another thread: We've fallen down the pit of stupidly expensive gear. When it get's lonely down here, we post reviews.

Looking forward to seeing you guys.
Quote:
Say by the way, maybe I'm trying to run when I should still be learning to walk but has anyone here tried any Heir IEM's using a balanced cable? I'm a bit of a fan of ALO's amps and considering the RX MKIII B is balanced and the new CLAS db is also balanced I was wondering if specing out a balanced cable in the foreseeable future for my new 4A would be worth it?

Quote:

iPod 5G -> RSA SR-71B -> 4.A with silver-plated copper wire is one of my favorite ways to listen to the Heir 4.A.

I built my own headphone cable for the RSA's balanced output, so I can't be much help with sourcing one for your system. But I've been thinking that if the Magnus is 4 wires all the way to the TRS plug (I don't know if it is), you could probably find somebody to reterminate it with the square balanced connector that RSA and ALO use. But then you'll want a RSA female -> TRS male adaptor so you can continue using your Magnus with conventional setups. At that point you're back to square one... might as well find somebody to build you a custom cable for a balanced amp, and leave the Magnus the way it is.

And oh yeah... welcome to Club 4.A...

The Magnus cable is indeed 4 wires all the way, reterminating it for the RSA/Alo 4-pin plug is 5 minutes of soldering. I've tried my 8.A with the Rx mk IIIb using a balanced TWag V2 and while it was only a brief listen I remember everything getting a bit more expansive - and the amp being a bit noisy, compared to the pitch black background of my DX100.
Quote:
Yes, you are correct! .......I had better go check out the cat food aisle.

In all seriousness, when I got into this I was fully planning to spend the $$ on customs eventually after trying a bunch of stuff out. Lucky for me, I have had such a excellent experience with the 3.Ai and 4.Ai universals, that it was a no-brainer decision to stick with Heir for my customs. I will  sell my 4.Ai off (after doing a comparison w/the 4.A - no point having both) I may keep the 3.Ai around if it's different enough than the 8.A. They are both bassy, hmmm we'll see.

Naahhh...that would never work.
Sorensiim would be out in the parking lot afterwards, lurking in the bushes  - wearing a hoodie or something and offering everybody "just a little taste"

Well, I blame Project86 for really dragging me into this...

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #3,356 of 7,980
Quote:
Mainly because its a lil pricy in my opinion (the options i have should cost me under $800-900) and also that I don't care too much for bass. Oh, and the vast soundstage of the Tg334 and the C4 are also affecting my decision heavily.
Oh and regarding the subjectivity thing, the reason I returned the M100s was because it was lacking the clarity I wanted. I had no other cans to compare it to, but i still returned it. I wanted something"better" as subjective as it seemed because i knew they existed in my budget range. It seems like the only thing that could possibly ease my suffering is if Heir stops their sale in an hour
wink.gif
. Gotta teach myself some more self control

Well if it's any consolation, I'm in the same exact boat. Cannot decide for the life of me on which CIEM to buy. I can keep it under 800 and get my order out now, or I can go with the 8.A or other more expensive options and not place my order til January....and I'd rather not deal overseas but it doesn't seem like there's much else that compares to the 8.A in my price range. Although the AS-2 is another one that is attractive, buying now means I'll miss out on the 1-day only sale they are supposed to announce soon.

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #3,357 of 7,980
Quote:
Well if it's any consolation, I'm in the same exact boat. Cannot decide for the life of me on which CIEM to buy. I can keep it under 800 and get my order out now, or I can go with the 8.A or other more expensive options and not place my order til January....and I'd rather not deal overseas but it doesn't seem like there's much else that compares to the 8.A in my price range.

Did you order yet?

Also filling my thought with the AS2s. Has anyone compared that with the 4As?

I just realized, that a few years back, we wouldn't have had to make such hard decisions. There was just UE right? So many budding new companies :) 

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #3,358 of 7,980
Nope, no orders yet. I only have 600 in my piggy bank at the moment. Waiting on a paycheck at the end of the month. 

From what I've read, it seems like the AS-2 are levels ahead of the 4.A in technical ability. But I don't know.

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #3,359 of 7,980
Quote:
Nope, no orders yet. I only have 600 in my piggy bank at the moment. Waiting on a paycheck at the end of the month. 

From what I've read, it seems like the AS-2 are levels ahead of the 4.A in technical ability. But I don't know.

Ah, if AS-2 is levels ahead of the 4A, then I'll probably wait and not burn my wallet just yet. 

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #3,360 of 7,980
Quite disappointed in the build time of my 4A, me and another friend had our impression sent and they arrived on 8 oct.
however, my friend received his confirmation mail on 12 nov.

wondering how long mine will be build. I email sunny on 13 nov, she said will be done within that week. Yet to receive any confirmation mail, i email sunny again on 21 nov and she replied will be done within this week.
Till today, there is no news at all. It is almost 7 weeks and there is no confirmation or anything.
I wonder what is happening and what is the fulfillment of promises made.
If on a normal period, a 5 weeks build fulfillment period could not be met, i wonder now during the promotion period, how much longer will it take.

I have always been a great supporter of heir audio, and recommend it to many of my friends, but if this was the type of service provided, I dont think I am able to recommend it to anyone no matter how great the iem sounds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back