The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 9, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #85,892 of 89,983
I am happy to update you guys that my Project #2 is well underway and it's proving to be quite a bit more complex in its overall structure and challenging on my vocals than Project #1 was. That's what I call Fun!

Excited to share soon. Due date is still set for April 10th. Hopefully you guys like it.
UPDATE!

All the singing, instrumentation, and production work is finished!

... however, this project involved a total of 5 people (Wow), and I feel the least I can do to express my gratitude is to include them in the video and mention their names as well. On top of that, I want the video to be at least a slight bit more interesting than with Project 1.

This will consequently make the videography more difficult than it was in Project 1, hence expect a delay and accept my sincere apologies. I don't think releasing a half-baked product does anyone any good.

Hopefully you guys can understand and excuse the delay.

Apr 9, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #85,893 of 89,983
UPDATE!

All the singing, instrumentation, and production work is finished!

... however, this project involved a total of 5 people (Wow), and I feel the least I can do to express my gratitude is to include them in the video and mention their names as well. On top of that, I want the video to be at least a slight bit more interesting than with Project 1.

This will consequently make the videography more difficult than it was in Project 1, hence expect a delay and accept my sincere apologies. I don't think releasing a half-baked product does anyone any good.

Hopefully you guys can understand and excuse the delay.
Ready when you are. 🙂

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #85,895 of 89,983
Am I reading things wrong or is the storm prototype a DD? I heard someone say it had "woofers."
I don't think the driver configuration has changed at all on the upcoming standard version Storm. The BA's serving the low end frequencies are called SLAM woofers.

1712671378048.png

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #85,896 of 89,983
Am I reading things wrong or is the storm prototype a DD? I heard someone say it had "woofers."

These guys haven’t even released the regular version of Storm yet. Do you think they’d be showing a prototype Storm w DD bass?

Their vision has been transparent from the very beginning. They’re not following the frequent release cycle model, they want their iems to stand the test of time upon release.

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #85,897 of 89,983
These guys haven’t even released the regular version of Storm yet. Do you think they’d be showing a prototype Storm w DD bass?

Their vision has been transparent from the very beginning. They’re not following the frequent release cycle model, they want their iems to stand the test of time upon release.
I think he meant the regular edition. Calling it a prototype because that’s the vibe you get from the faceplate developments.

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #85,898 of 89,983
Any impressions on Hyla Arborea and Hyla Hallowelli? :)

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #85,899 of 89,983
Yeah we all prefer different things and hear things differently. I am just still rather curious about why Trifecta gets so much attention considering its shortcomings.

You answered your own question. Quite simply-- what you perceive as "shortcomings" might not be perceived as such by others. For example, you describe it as "wonky and low res"-- I find it to be neither of those things. I agree that it is not a "resolution monster" (nor is it intended to be such) but I find it a far cry from "low res". But those are just my perceptions. Personally, what I find it lacks in raw detail retrieval it more than makes up for in other areas and at that there are many qualities it has which to me are sufficiently unique that it more than earns its spot among the elite of the current TOTL crop of IEMs. And given that the Trifecta has appeared consistently in the upper echelons of our polls for the past 1.5 years clearly there are many other folks who feel the same way. I'm fully aware that the Trifecta is not for everyone, my only gripe in all of this is when folks imagine that their perceptions and ideals are universal and somehow apply to everyone.

As for the detail vs emotion. I dont think its that binary. Imho there is more to it. For example, if we take this recording by Kyuss

I didn't mean to imply that it was binary-- I was just describing two opposing poles, between which there is a rich spectrum.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #85,900 of 89,983
But if you run the Susvara from a powerful high end tube amp, you will get both the wide life-like airyness, loads of detail and the big meaty emotional euphonic oomph. The recording will sound much closer to a life gig experience and you will get more emotional than with the Atrium, because of the added detail and air.
Funny this is exactly how it sounded to me just now played through my Trifectas. Plus this music is so far from anything I listen to, that this was why I asked you before to help us with tracks/musical tastes so there is context for your reactions to Trifecta. Moving on....

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #85,901 of 89,983
if anyone willing to sell the first edition of APX with current Treble, let me know. since newer edition wont have that Hot Treble which i like tbh. feel free to DM me with your price.

Apr 9, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #85,903 of 89,983
Only producing prototypes would definitely be a niche market!

You answered your own question. Quite simply-- what you perceive as "shortcomings" might not be perceived as such by others. For example, you describe it as "wonky and low res"-- I find it to be neither of those things. I agree that it is not a "resolution monster" (nor is it intended to be such) but I find it a far cry from "low res". But those are just my perceptions. Personally, what I find it lacks in raw detail retrieval it more than makes up for in other areas and at that there are many qualities it has which to me are sufficiently unique that it more than earns its spot among the elite of the current TOTL crop of IEMs. And given that the Trifecta has appeared consistently in the upper echelons of our polls for the past 1.5 years clearly there are many other folks who feel the same way. I'm fully aware that the Trifecta is not for everyone, my only gripe in all of this is when folks imagine that somehow their perceptions and ideals are universal and somehow apply to everyone.

I didn't mean to imply that it was binary-- I was just describing two opposing poles, between which there is a rich spectrum.
I'm starting to feel shortcomings don't matter much once you find your love. It's almost like in... real life!

Having said that, I'm not sure I have the guts to pull the trigger in my own case (Onyx). But love is just what it is: Heart and soul instead of head.

drftr

Apr 9, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #85,904 of 89,983
if anyone willing to sell the first edition of APX with current Treble, let me know. since newer edition wont have that Hot Treble which i like tbh. feel free to DM me with your price.

I am super hyped to try whatever he comes out with next. When I paired the APX with the DX260 and SpinFits I was able to get the treble controlled to my liking, but that model is sold out so it was sort of irrelevant. I am hoping the next model is for me because the transparency, resolution, detailing, and staging/imaging of the APX was so damn good.

Apr 9, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #85,905 of 89,983
You answered your own question. Quite simply-- what you perceive as "shortcomings" might not be perceived as such by others. For example, you describe it as "wonky and low res"-- I find it to be neither of those things. I agree that it is not a "resolution monster" (nor is it intended to be such) but I find it a far cry from "low res". But those are just my perceptions. Personally, what I find it lacks in raw detail retrieval it more than makes up for in other areas and at that there are many qualities it has which to me are sufficiently unique that it more than earns its spot among the elite of the current TOTL crop of IEMs. And given that the Trifecta has appeared consistently in the upper echelons of our polls for the past 1.5 years clearly there are many other folks who feel the same way. I'm fully aware that the Trifecta is not for everyone, my only gripe in all of this is when folks imagine that their perceptions and ideals are universal and somehow apply to everyone.
Thats a common place and I started my post with "we all prefer different things and hear things differently." We are in the same boat on that.

I believe Trifecta got a small, but very strong feeling fanbase. I met couple people on the Amsterdam meet-up regreting falling for the hype and losing the money of the thing. Aswell as few people that are absolutely loving the iem. I strongly believe its very important to audion it first. I dont think its as simple as "its a meaty comfort IEM with great bass that people that like oomph and big stage will like even if the resolution is not quite there" there are things about its tuning that are very dividing and the resolution is really something that might be perceived as much lower than expected at this pricepoint.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back