The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 14, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #73,516 of 90,626
What a simple, yet brilliant design idea, swapping faceplates to customize your uni design. ... edit: as I was corrected, others have done similar :D So, I spent a few weeks with Fir Audio Electron 12 (E12) 12mm single-DD IEMs, and put together a detailed review for those who are interested.

... nvm, Erlkonig had replaceable faceplates :)

firaudio-e12-22.jpg firaudio-e12-11.jpg
firaudio-e12-23.jpg firaudio-e12-14.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #73,517 of 90,626
As someone who has spent quite a bit of his hard-earned money on three AüR sets thus far, I'm not gonna lie, I found this one funny.
Still, I have put all three in my Top 7. I understand how that might make me a suspect of unfair play.

I'll be the first to admit AüR's sales representative can be difficult to deal with at times, but their product's quality:price ratio is unquestionably high.
Have you tried the CFA bonneville? It’s been regarded quite well here recently. Makes me believe it’s pretty high quality especially for the price. Worth a shot… maybe it’ll make you change your mind about audio

Dec 14, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #73,518 of 90,626
What a simple, yet brilliant design idea, swapping faceplates to customize your uni design. Not sure if anything similar has been done before, don't recall seeing it anywhere else. So, I spent a few weeks with Fir Audio Electron 12 (E12) 12mm single-DD IEMs, and put together a detailed review for those who are interested.

firaudio-e12-22.jpg firaudio-e12-11.jpg
firaudio-e12-23.jpg firaudio-e12-14.jpg
You recall the Erlkonig, surely?

I like this customization option, very nice. Thx for the review again.

Dec 14, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #73,519 of 90,626
What a simple, yet brilliant design idea, swapping faceplates to customize your uni design. Not sure if anything similar has been done before, don't recall seeing it anywhere else. So, I spent a few weeks with Fir Audio Electron 12 (E12) 12mm single-DD IEMs, and put together a detailed review for those who are interested.

Another enjoyable read and review @twister6

Arrived with the same conclusion where ET OTL and EA Cleo II OCTA were my favorite pairings with E12. With stock cable, JVC SpiralDots++ were my favorite and added some nice bass impact, a touch more body mids and smoother treble. SpinFit Omni's were also another good pairing with stock cable.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #73,520 of 90,626
You recall the Erlkonig, surely?

I like this customization option, very nice. Thx for the review again.

Oh, you are right!!!

Dec 14, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #73,521 of 90,626

... nvm, Erlkonig had replaceable faceplates :)

Didn't UE have some similar approach regarding customizable/swappable faceplates?

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #73,522 of 90,626
Joking aside I took a chance buying these tips (Final E) as they get many good reviews and I already own some which give a fairly good sound and seal. Measured them and determined they were L so bought LL. When the package arrived they looked the same and I considered returning them but thought I'd try them not expecting to hear any difference. They are very slightly bigger giving the best seal yet, I can feel my skin pulling when I remove them. But for the difference in sound is the main reason I keep buying different tips as for about a year I have been disappointed with the iem's which cost a fair amount - thin sounding is a quick summary, often contemplating selling them. Now at long last I'm hearing them more as they were designed to sound.
The tips aren't perfect, the bore could be a little wider, but they were well worth buying and I've learnt a valuable lesson in taking more care with finding the right size tip and not dismissing the difference 0.8 of a mil can make.
Same with my eartips journey. I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I took an arrow in the knee prefer a M size on every eartips I bought, but recently I bought the L size too together and on several eartips model, the L size does a better job and comfort 😁
This would be a fun poll. The first IEM I bought which I considered "expensive" was the Monster Turbine Copper. I still remember one of the video reviews where the guy was beating the crap out of them, amazed by how rugged they were, as-if they didn't break as frequently or more often than other IEMs.
For me it 64A Tia Fourté. I jump straight to it from Shozy Neo CP 🤣🤣
Same thing happened to my DAP as well. From Questyle QP1R to AK SPK 🤭
That's quite a big leap if I may say 😂

Dec 14, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #73,523 of 90,626
UE still offer swappable faceplates - UE's twist and lock system perhaps gives the sense of being more 'secure' (this is only speculation)

@waveSounds excellent post an photography. If I did not buy the SE846 back in 2014, I would not buy today as the IEM budget market is just so competitive

@RonaldS86 Deep River was my first J-Pop CD album some 15 years ago had no idea it was remastered in 2018 but can find no information on what was done...

Dec 14, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #73,524 of 90,626
At some point in the last 2 days we hit 7 million views. Awesome milestone everyone!

Dec 14, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #73,525 of 90,626
Dec 14, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #73,526 of 90,626
Dec 14, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #73,527 of 90,626
Wow, where do you find the number of views?

Next to the thread title in the portable section:

Screen Shot 2023-12-14 at 4.26.48 PM.png

This is on my laptop though...not sure where to see it on a mobile device.

Dec 14, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #73,528 of 90,626
Next to the thread title in the portable section:

This is on my laptop though...not sure where to see it on a mobile device.
Thanks, surprised that there are some higher viewed threads, and KZ thread?:

Untitled.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back