The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 11, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #73,066 of 90,546
6B4350DE359BDD4A36671CAB869C9012FDBE8BB2

You calling me? The great DIO?
There is (OK, was) only one Dio.

IMG_0389.jpeg

Dec 11, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #73,067 of 90,546
I've an incoming Camelot. Looking forward to pairing it with Cayin N30LE, Sony WM1Z & Sony WM1AM2.

Tesseract is an all BA iem whereas the camelot has the magic of the double dynamic driver of Camelot. I already have an all BA iem and wanted to try the unique design approach and drivers used in Camelot.
Please share with us your impressions wrt the pairings. Camelot can definitely use more love here.

Dec 11, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #73,070 of 90,546
How's the fit going for you sir?
As in its size?

Yes it’s on the large side and it will never seat in my ears. With the right tips however the insertion and retention is surprisingly easy. I went through a number tips but for the life of me couldn’t remember what it is lol. I’ll post a pic later to see if you could help to id them. Could be stock tips for all I know lol

Dec 11, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #73,071 of 90,546
Thank you for your detailed reviews. Very helpful to hear such honest & detailed reviews.

Very glad to hear you enjoyed my review - I am a self-confessed amatuer when it comes to reviews but I do enjoy the process, especially when I encounter sets from time to time that really resonate... always good to know when others get value from my reviews so I appreciated the feedback! I hope you enjoy Camelot and look forward to hearing your thoughts :)

Dec 11, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #73,073 of 90,546
Dec 11, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #73,074 of 90,546
After using Amber Pearl over the weekend with DMP and Hugo 2, I can say I love it across all genres. It's my favorite reference set, some would argue it's more engaging than reference. However this balance of engaging with reference class technicalities is 100% perfect for me. I'm not sure what UM did regarding the bass region, but the bass rendition is far better than Mentor and crosses over the line into 'DD-like acceptable'. This is the first time I've had this occur with a BA set. Tremendous accomplishment to both Cayin and UM on this collaboration.

IMG_1926.jpeg

Dec 11, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #73,075 of 90,546
Thanks for sharing your impressions. Your description of Bonneville lacking "slam" is interesting and makes me wonder if we understand that term differently.
I think of slam as the sub-bass “thwack” feeling, when a low frequency beat is more visceral. Does “slam“ have a different audiophile meaning? If so what word would describe a sub-bass punch?

Dec 11, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #73,076 of 90,546
I think of slam as the sub-bass “thwack” feeling, when a low frequency beat is more visceral. Does “slam“ have a different audiophile meaning? If so what word would describe a sub-bass punch?

No "visceral bass impact" is basically how I understand the term also. I'm just surprised to hear you describe Bonneville as lacking there. It's one of my essentials or enjoying an IEM.

Dec 11, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #73,077 of 90,546
After using Amber Pearl over the weekend with DMP and Hugo 2, I can say I love it across all genres. It's my favorite reference set, some would argue it's more engaging than reference. However this balance of engaging with reference class technicalities is 100% perfect for me. I'm not sure what UM did regarding the bass region, but the bass rendition is far better than Mentor and crosses over the line into 'DD-like acceptable'. This is the first time I've had this occur with a BA set. Tremendous accomplishment to both Cayin and UM on this collaboration.

IMG_1926.jpeg
Love that big and sexy golden knob 😁
I think I should put DMP-Z1 on things that eluded me too together with Z1R 🤣

Dec 11, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #73,078 of 90,546
Thanks for sharing your impressions. Your description of Bonneville lacking "slam" is interesting and makes me wonder if we understand that term differently.

I get quite a fair amount of slam with Bonneville! I like the bass and lower midrange tone a lot. I think it probably has good potential in CIEM form. Surprised you didnt get one :wink:

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Dec 11, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #73,079 of 90,546
No "visceral bass impact" is basically how I understand the term also. I'm just surprised to hear you describe Bonneville as lacking there. It's one of my essentials or enjoying an IEM.

I've actually had both experiences (lots of bass slam, and "Where's the bass slam?") with the Bonneville. I think it depends a lot on all the usual variables like tips, sound chain, mood. And particularly, how much bass is there in the track you're listening to. And WHAT IEM was I listening to immediately before?

Dec 11, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #73,080 of 90,546
75 submissions to the year end poll so far. Here is a word cloud generated by the answers to the "desert island 7" question to this point.

On the blind buy question, I left it blank because I don't trust any company without trying it =) Curious why not put a none option?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back