The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 6, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #72,556 of 90,546
Whilst not quite in the realm of the more popular portable realm, I thought I would share these photos of the Orpheus from yesterday. Some coolers from the CJ SG know I have been working through some persona struggles. Hence, @Uncle Wilson has been most kind to offer up his Orpheus to keep me company through this rough patch.

Big shout out to @Uncle Wilson and Jaben SG for the joy you have been sharing with me. Hence, I thought I would share some of the joy with everyone too. I have to wait for the adapter from @spritzer to arrive in Singapore so I can plug this in and find bliss. :)

Notice Wilson was kind enough to pack the Orpheus into the HippoCase that Jaben SG customized for HPs to be carried around with great protection. It worked for my HD800 and Fostex TH900 when they went back for change of earpads and head bands. And now, it works for the Orpheus to travel incognito home as well. :)

Incredible. Is that the pre-cursor to the HE-1 in the marble case?

All the best to you my friend. Wishing you good health and a speedy recovery.

Dec 6, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #72,557 of 90,546
Incredible. Is that the pre-cursor to the HE-1 in the marble case?

All the best to you my friend. Wishing you good health and a speedy recovery.
Yes it is and it looks like this
az.jpg.79e132cd23e58864ad5563629f90cef6.jpg

Beautiful isn't it 😍

Dec 7, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #72,558 of 90,546
Got my Gladiator Cleopatra cable today. Very disappointed 😔 it has extra long pins that don't fit iems. When you plug them in they stick out about 1mm leaving a large gap between the plug and iem. The cable has to go back. 😠😠
Yeah, a real pain. 🤬 What I can't figure out is why he would use long pins instead of the standard length this makes no sense to me. 🥴🥴
I didn't do any cable rolling out of the box and this went on the U12t. But to confirm, the connectors are infact 1-1.5mm longer compared to the Juggles Cardas Clear and the Aurelius Ordo (OE 2 pin)

For full disclosure (As discussed with Toni):
1.These are in fact the standard 2 pin connectors, so I'd reach out to Toni to see if he can check for the time being with the iem in question (Among those tested include the MEST MKII, Blessing Dusk and Softears RSV) This is not a QC issue due to how they are made they are fairly consistent. This is the first time the issue has been reported to Gladiator and looking to be adressed.
2. Gladiator will be seeing if this can be addressed with shorter pins going forward so fingers crossed.
3. If concern is an issue, reach out to Toni for a Taberna order to specify the 2 pin connectors you want to use. This will take a bit more time if he needs to order them but also ensure it won't stick out.
4. It has been considered to account for OE 2 pins and increase the price a little to have then as stock. But OE doesn't stock a lot in their EU warehouse and Gladiator can't get it in that scale.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #72,559 of 90,546
Yes it is and it looks like this
az.jpg.79e132cd23e58864ad5563629f90cef6.jpg
Beautiful isn't it 😍

Indeed it is.

Marv from SBAF said it's the best headphone he's ever listened to:

"1) Sennheiser HE90/HEV90 (OOP)
If this wasn't the GOAT, but then it would not be here because it's OOP. It's an electrostatic headphone, which means it will lack the heft and kick of orthos or traditional dynamics, but everything else about it is so much better than anything else, even in 2019. This is the best headphone and headphone system that I have ever heard. The HE90 renders sounds with a better sense of tactility than the STAX stuff. It does exhibit a bit more grain as opposed to the plasticky timbre of the STAX. The frequency response may be just slightly upward tilting, but it's much smoother without the big dips and small bumps found at various spots on the SR-007 or 009. FWIW, the modern Sennheiser HE1 system with the marble chassis amp is "meh" compared to the HE90/HEV90. People with both money and class seek out the HE90/HEV90. Rich Chinese people or GOOP subscribers who want to brag about their wealth buy the HE1. Retaining its place as #1 because of both excellence and longevity of being at the top."

Dec 7, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #72,560 of 90,546
Indeed it is.

Marv from SBAF said it's the best headphone he's ever listened to:

"1) Sennheiser HE90/HEV90 (OOP)
If this wasn't the GOAT, but then it would not be here because it's OOP. It's an electrostatic headphone, which means it will lack the heft and kick of orthos or traditional dynamics, but everything else about it is so much better than anything else, even in 2019. This is the best headphone and headphone system that I have ever heard. The HE90 renders sounds with a better sense of tactility than the STAX stuff. It does exhibit a bit more grain as opposed to the plasticky timbre of the STAX. The frequency response may be just slightly upward tilting, but it's much smoother without the big dips and small bumps found at various spots on the SR-007 or 009. FWIW, the modern Sennheiser HE1 system with the marble chassis amp is "meh" compared to the HE90/HEV90. People with both money and class seek out the HE90/HEV90. Rich Chinese people or GOOP subscribers who want to brag about their wealth buy the HE1. Retaining its place as #1 because of both excellence and longevity of being at the top."
I just hope it only applies on 007 and 009 and not with the X9000 🤞
While I know there's no way the Stax will be as good as HE series but I hope it'll be satisfying enough for me 😂

Dec 7, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #72,561 of 90,546
I just hope it only applies on 007 and 009 and not with the X9000 🤞
While I know there's no way the Stax will be as good as HE series but I hope it'll be satisfying enough for me 😂
stax on order ? If so, maybe my next cgk-dps will be by road via RonaldS86 😜. Sadly wont be able to compare with mine....at 2m tall, too much hassle to check in

Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 9.27.59 AM.png

Dec 7, 2023 at 12:53 AM Post #72,563 of 90,546
I learned a valuable lesson tonight about why IEMs are superior to full sized headphones. In the last 2mo, I went a little nuts and spent quite a bit on a few IEMs. Each of them were at least 2x the price of the DCA E3 that I acquired today. Tonight, my wife heard music playing in my office, walked over and noticed something new, which of course led to a bunch of questions. She never questioned the UM AP, VE Aura, or the rhapsodio v3 but she noticed the E3 right away.

What is the moral of the story? If you are married, IEMs are easily worth their extra price just to avoid the attention and questions that your spouse may have.

Dec 7, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #72,564 of 90,546
I learned a valuable lesson tonight about why IEMs are superior to full sized headphones. In the last 2mo, I went a little nuts and spent quite a bit on a few IEMs. Each of them were at least 2x the price of the DCA E3 that I acquired today. Tonight, my wife heard music playing in my office, walked over and noticed something new, which of course led to a bunch of questions. She never questioned the UM AP, VE Aura, or the rhapsodio v3 but she noticed the E3 right away.

What is the moral of the story? If you are married, IEMs are easily worth their extra price just to avoid the attention and questions that your spouse may have.
Your wife never check the credit card bills?

Dec 7, 2023 at 1:03 AM Post #72,565 of 90,546

No sir... I pay the bills and all her needs are met. In all honesty, she just asked questions about it and wasn't angry. But i'd rather no questions being asked.

Dec 7, 2023 at 1:16 AM Post #72,566 of 90,546
stax on order ? If so, maybe my next cgk-dps will be by road via RonaldS86 😜. Sadly wont be able to compare with mine....at 2m tall, too much hassle to check in

Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 9.27.59 AM.png
Yup. When I'm on the hunt of UM AP, my dealer said why don't I get Stax X9000+T8000 combo instead than forcing myself to get the UM AP just by paid $2k more. And I end up getting UM AP and Stax combo instead. I feel like Thanos after finger snap but it's my account balance that doesn't feel so good 😂

Dec 7, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #72,567 of 90,546

Hmm, I want to test something like this too when my Envy performance arrives on January but maybe it's not a good idea. But my wife is a little bit unattentive. She can easily miss a big suitcase in plain sight even when she walk past of it. Sometimes she doesn't even notice when the car in the garage is gone. Sooo, I guess an amp won't be a problem then? 🤣🤣😂
No sir... I pay the bills and all her needs are met. In all honesty, she just asked questions about it and wasn't angry. But i'd rather no questions being asked.
You're just like me. I don't like being interrogated. Let us enjoy our hard work and you enjoy yourself. I don't mind with everything my wife do as long as she's happy so I expect the same thing too 🙂

Dec 7, 2023 at 1:30 AM Post #72,569 of 90,546

The giant box that Empyrean arrived in begged all the wrong questions at the time and earned a weekend of silence, no wonder I’ve only bought portable stuff since. 🤭
“Don’t ask don’t tell” is a policy that works wonders!!

Dec 7, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #72,570 of 90,546
The giant box that Empyrean arrived in begged all the wrong questions at the time and earned a weekend of silence, no wonder I’ve only bought portable stuff since. 🤭

“Don’t ask don’t tell” is a policy that works wonders!!

In all seriousness, @Currawong was not joking about the DCA E3! I have not tried a DCA since I demo the ether2 >10yrs ago and was underwhelmed by it. For $1600-2k, this HP is incredible! Just ordered a WyWires cable for it to replace the stock one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back