The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 5, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #69,631 of 91,264
Since I have to exclude anything I own then I choose Annihilator 2023
I've been spending more time with Annihilator this weekend and I must say I'm very impressed with it. What struck me today is how detailed it is, with crazy good imaging. I'm listening to some modern jazz songs I’m quite familiar with and I think I'm hearing some new details in the music. It's intoxicating. Using N7/C9 because this baby likes power...😁

IMG_0200.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #69,632 of 91,264
You would recommend the cable then?
Yes, sounds fantastic to me, though I'm only starting to properly test it now. Very well made, ergonomic, substantially bulky but light and flexible, and very affordable by today's overpriced cable standards.

Nov 5, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #69,633 of 91,264
My brain says row #14, it’s just so so good.

However, my heart says row #6, so that’s what I’m going with. Such fun variety there; an iem for every occasion and genre.

Nov 5, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #69,634 of 91,264
Speaking of IE900, mine just got a neat upgrade:

Lavricables Grand Silver (for IE900). Super smooth, not a treble peak in sight (not there there were any before, for me). Just sat through this album start to finish, and I was literally gasping at the amount of bass texture, impact, detail, layering, imaging and space.

At least one Guy here :wink: whose experiences align with mine :) :beerchug:
Lavricables (I use a Master) seem to match the IE900 well...

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #69,636 of 91,264
I'm glad people are struggling people are struggling a little. I tried to not make it easy.

Followup survey: How many of the 36 IEMs in that picture has everyone heard?
Only 1/3 of them.

Nov 5, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #69,637 of 91,264
Here's a Saturday challenge for you all...pick one row:

101615D8-47CE-4A6D-AA72-CC487AB7D164.jpeg

Row 13

1) Xe6, Jewel, Red Halo, Diva, Perpetua, Traillii
2) Ronin, EXT, Phonix LE, IER Z1R, u18t, Raven
3) Legend X, Bonneville, Damascus, Grand Maestro, Turii TI, Amber Pearl
4) Monachaa, Fourte, Trifecta, Rn6, u12t, Fei Wan
5) Aura, Mentor, Elysian X, Odin, HA-FW10000, Supermoon
6) Storm, Maestro SE, Anole VX, Singularity, Elysium, Annihilator
7) Xe6, Ronin, Legend X, Monachaa, Aura, Storm
8) Jewel, EXT, Bonneville, Fourte, Mentor, Maestro SE
9) Red Halo, Phonix, Damascus, Trifecta, Elysian X, Anole VX
10) Diva, IER Z1R, Grand Maestro, Rn6, Odin, Singularity
11) Perpetua, u18t, Turii Ti, u12t, HA-FW10000, Elysium
12) Traillii, Raven, Amber Pearl, Fei Wan, Supermoon, Annihilator
13) Xe6, EXT, Damascus, Rn6, HA-FW10000, Annihilator
14) Storm, Mentor, Trifecta, Grand Maestro, u18t, Traillii

Nov 5, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #69,638 of 91,264
Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #69,639 of 91,264
Spending a nice lazy Sunday morn on the front porch of my beach cottage. Been listening to brand new music from two old bands that have not put out an album of original songs in decades . They are The Rolling Stones and the late Jimmy Buffett. Both albums are good and full of energy as I heard through my Shanling M6U and M8 to my Aroma Thunder/Satin. The Stones should sell a bunch of copies but its the end of the line for Buffett fans.

Nov 5, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #69,640 of 91,264
Spending a nice lazy Sunday morn on the front porch of my beach cottage. Been listening to brand new music from two old bands that have not put out an album of original songs in decades . They are The Rolling Stones and the late Jimmy Buffett. Both albums are good and full of energy as I heard through my Shanling M6U and M8 to my Aroma Thunder/Satin. The Stones should sell a bunch of copies but its the end of the line for Buffett fans.
Jimmy was always my "Sing out loud in the car on a long drive" choice! :beerchug:

Nov 5, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #69,641 of 91,264
Here's a Saturday challenge for you all...pick one row:
13) Xe6, EXT, Damascus, Rn6, HA-FW10000, Annihilator
Love this challenge. Row 13 seems almost perfect to this bass head (and emerging treble head). I don’t even know what the HA-FW is but it must be solid amid these all stars.

Nov 5, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #69,642 of 91,264
Row 12 for sure! 👍

Nov 5, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #69,643 of 91,264
Love this challenge. Row 13 seems almost perfect to this bass head (and emerging treble head). I don’t even know what the HA-FW is but it must be solid amid these all stars.

That's interesting. I tried to make the rows somewhat balanced. 13 in particular seems to be one of the more balanced. The HA-FW10000 is a JVC IEM with wooden housings and a wooden diaphragm. It's speciality I would say is timbre. It has a weird Japanese diffused field tuning but in the right circumstances it's quite addictive. Possibly the best string timbre I've ever heard. Bass is....well it takes some getting used to. Given the sentiment of this community if I could re-do the collage I would swap out the FW10000 for the IE900.

Nov 5, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #69,644 of 91,264
Spent a couple of hours at Zeppelin in Singapore, here for work no pleasure except the hi fi escape 🙄.

Spent my time Nightjar Singularity, NA Tesseract, Madoo 512, Madoo 711, Tago Studio T3-02.

Used a few test tracks:

Kurt Vile- Like Exploding Stones
Tom Waits-Jesus Gonna be here
Khruangbin- People Everywhere Live at Stubbs
The Smile- The Smoke
Max Richter- The Departure

A) Nightjar Singularity: Enjoy the set but could not get over that something sounded out of place and I could not place my finger on it, apologies that I cannot describe in better detail. The set is comfortable and fitted well. Did not like the cable.

B) NA Tesseract: This thing has a lot going with really great detail, but oh my is so much!!! It distracted me from the music. The team at store recommended a different cable to tame it down. But could not commit.

C) Tagi Studio: Simple tuning pretty neutral work it's way on the music with no issues. A bit too vanilla tuning.

D) Madoo, apologies to the experts here . I was unaware this brand existed. Really enjoyed the sets. They really did incredible well with the bass, the whole gamut. Even at low volume these really deliver , liked the mids and highs as they did not shy from the bass or diminished by it. Felt the 711 was less dark than 512. However not as dark as some other IEM's. The square design is weird but sat well.

Working from memory as I did not take notes.

But wind up purchasing the 512.

As always Great store and a good cappuccino 😁
Love Khruangbin! Awesome Band!

Nov 5, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #69,645 of 91,264
I've been spending more time with Annihilator this weekend and I must say I'm very impressed with it. What struck me today is how detailed it is, with crazy good imaging. I'm listening to some modern jazz songs I’m quite familiar with and I think I'm hearing some new details in the music. It's intoxicating. Using N7/C9 because this baby likes power...😁

IMG_0200.jpeg
Me, too, all week and this weekend and I'm under its spell. I was intrigued at CanJam Socal but wasn't sure if it might get fatiguing at the top. For me, no fatigue, easy listening for hours on end. Will definitely be writing more about it in the coming days!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back