THE WATERCOOLER HEADPHONE EDITION – Headphones, Amps, DACs, and desktop/home audio related – a freewheeling discussion of gear, impressions, music, and musings.
May 14, 2024 at 7:57 PM Post #346 of 956
I think going first to maximizing the WA23 with the Taks or even Linlai Elite 2A3s best specced would be a good start before going all out on the WDSig with WDNet. Even just switching 2A3tubes can massively change the overall balance from dark to neutral perfect with additional gains in micro/macro + scale
That is good to know-thank you! I do have a WDSignature coming in for demo to compare in the meantime. At least to satisfy my curiosity.

I’ve heard great things about Tak2a3, particularly from a technical standpoint, but it seems that they still lean warm so I wasn’t sure it would rectify (pun intended) an overall darker signature (pun intended).

May 14, 2024 at 8:21 PM Post #347 of 956
That is good to know-thank you! I do have a WDSignature coming in for demo to compare in the meantime. At least to satisfy my curiosity.

I’ve heard great things about Tak2a3, particularly from a technical standpoint, but it seems that they still lean warm so I wasn’t sure it would rectify (pun intended) an overall darker signature (pun intended).
Lean warm? Jeepers can’t say that at all compared to kr audio, electro harmonic, or psvane. Frankly Takatsuki is the darkest most digital sounding tubes of the bunch. Not noisy microphonic or tubey. Frankly the knock would be, if you’re looking for one. It’s tight, forward and digital, they aren’t.. But with wa33 elite, muah, perfecto.

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #348 of 956
Been travelling so much that I haven't had time to post. Just got home very late last night from Orlando with family. Home for 3 days, then going to Tahiti for 2 weeks for a family reunion. This is too much travel for me this year. Going to stay home in June. Anyway, I got this new cable for use with Susvara. It is a Chimera adapter for speaker taps. Got luck it is the same color as my Chimera. Really looking forward to hearing it today to see if I can hear a difference with my Riviera AIC-10 from XLR port or speaker taps to drive Susvara.

Image_20240514_064153.jpeg
From a reviewer who tried numerous chain to drive Susvara: two Benchmark AHB2 Power Amplifiers in Bridged Mode is the best:
https://soundnews.net/headphones/full-size/the-ultimate-hifiman-susvara-review/

May 14, 2024 at 8:36 PM Post #349 of 956
Hello all, just a little introduction to my system.:)

When I decided to build a desktop system, I knew I wanted the Ares2 R2R DAC and the Jotunheim amp, both of which got great reviews and said the magical phrase "punch above it's price point":). Yes, to me that is the key, get more than you pay for, which is cool. iknow the Ares2 can have better resolution ultimatley, but for what it does at the price point its a great bargain assuming you want that R2R sound, which I adore. The next thing I wanted was low noise especially on the power rails, so I got a Denefrips BIC-500 balanced transformer to plug everything into. Then I got an ext powered low noise USB card, with an Ifi low noise power souce, plugged into the transformer. The USB card was the Element H. Next was the power chords, so after some research I decided on the Odin 2 silver and 1 gold power cords, and one for the computer, DAC and AMP. Each cord gave a quantum leap in improvement, unreal! EDIT: Caveat, the Odin 2 needs 600 hours burn in! The gold cord plugged into the wall and the transformer. Next, odin gold XLR cables, and an Odin 2 silver usb cable. Added a grounding box on the transformer ground, and got an electrostatic mat to rest it all on. the mat also plugged into the transformer ground. some tweaks: pure silver fuses on DAC and transformer...electrophobic tape (lol) around the ends of the power cables. some rca caps...and for the phones I ended up with The Arya Stealth, which sound absolutley stunning on this system. there seems to be infinite extension in both ends, a vast soundstage, and NATURAL sounding tonality, what a GEM!!! :)

20220730_134548_HDR.jpg
20220802_093922.jpg
20220921_091358.jpg
20221015_143900.jpg

20230613_201414.jpg

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 8:40 PM Post #350 of 956

When I decided to build a desktop system, I knew I wanted the Ares2 R2R DAC and the Jotunheim amp, both of which got great reviews and said the magical phrase "punch above it's price point":). Yes, to me that is the key, get more than you pay for, which is cool. iknow the Ares2 can have better resolution ultimatley, but for what it does at the price point its a great bargain assuming you want that R2R sound, which I adore. The next thing I wanted was low noise especially on the power rails, so I got a Denefrips BIC-500 balanced transformer to plug everything into. Then I got an ext powered low noise USB card, with an Ifi low noise power souce, plugged into the transformer. The USB card was the Element H. Next was the power chords, so after some research I decided on the Odin 2 silver and 1 gold power cords, and one for the computer, DAC and AMP. Each cord gave a quantum leap in improvement, unreal! The gold cord plugged into the wall and the transformer. Next, odin gold XLR cables, and an Odin 2 silver usb cable. Added a grounding box on the transformer ground, and got an electrostatic mat to rest it all on. the mat also plugged into the transformer ground. some tweaks: pure silver fuses on DAC and transformer...electrophobic tape (lol) around the ends of the power cables. some rca caps...and for the phones I ended up with The Arya Stealth, which sound absolutley stunning on this system. there seems to be infinite extension in both ends, a vast soundstage, and NATURAL sounding tonality, what a GEM!!! :)

20220730_134548_HDR.jpg20220802_093922.jpg20220921_091358.jpg20221015_143900.jpg
I highly suspect your cables cost more than the amplifier itself if not the entire chain.

May 14, 2024 at 8:48 PM Post #351 of 956
Lean warm? Jeepers can’t say that at all compared to kr audio, electro harmonic, or psvane. Frankly Takatsuki is the darkest most digital sounding tubes of the bunch. Not noisy microphonic or tubey. Frankly the knock would be, if you’re looking for one. It’s tight, forward and digital. But with wa33 elite, muah, perfecto.
Oh, don’t know if dark and digital would be good in my case! Lol. The WA23 stock power tubes are the Electro Harmonix

May 14, 2024 at 8:50 PM Post #352 of 956
May 14, 2024 at 8:51 PM Post #353 of 956
I highly suspect your cables cost more than the amplifier itself if not the entire chain.
Nope. Ali Express knock offs. The power cords were $120 each (the gold was a little more)...the usb cable was $20 and the XLR were $20 also! The Element H was about $325 and the transformer was around $750ish, as well as the dac. The amp was $400.

May 14, 2024 at 8:53 PM Post #354 of 956
Oh, don’t know if dark and digital would be good in my case! Lol. The WA23 stock power tubes are the Electro Harmonix
Dark meaning quiet, no noise, black. This is good. Digital if if one likes dynamics and definition. Look whatever takatsuki is way better. But unless you try, you won’t know. Electro is a fine stock tube.

May 14, 2024 at 8:54 PM Post #355 of 956
Nope. Ali Express knock offs. The power cords were $120 each (the gold was a little more)...the usb cable was $20 and the XLR were $20 also! The Element H was about $325 and the transformer was around $750ish, as well as the dac. The amp was $400.
Cheap as borscht, my xlr, usb, hp cables closer to 10 g

May 14, 2024 at 8:59 PM Post #356 of 956
Cheap as borscht, my xlr, usb, hp cables closer to 10 g
Someone heard the real cable goes upward from about $15,000, and that the Aliexpress ones sounded about %70 as good, all I know is each cvable brought a significant improvement, its all about lowering the noise floor. Apparanlty cheap cables have micro-arching between the strands and this creates noise. Don't know if that's true or not but they made a huge improvement. Plus its the synergy of the whole system, the bass and mids and treble are just effortlessly rendered. :)

May 14, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #357 of 956
Dark meaning quiet, no noise, black. This is good. Digital if if one likes dynamics and definition. Look whatever takatsuki is way better. But unless you try, you won’t know. Electro is a fine stock tube.
Ah thank you for clarification-def sounds promising then:pray:. I’ll give a whirl soon I’m sure.

May 14, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #358 of 956

When I decided to build a desktop system, I knew I wanted the Ares2 R2R DAC and the Jotunheim amp, both of which got great reviews and said the magical phrase "punch above it's price point":). Yes, to me that is the key, get more than you pay for, which is cool. iknow the Ares2 can have better resolution ultimatley, but for what it does at the price point its a great bargain assuming you want that R2R sound, which I adore. The next thing I wanted was low noise especially on the power rails, so I got a Denefrips BIC-500 balanced transformer to plug everything into. Then I got an ext powered low noise USB card, with an Ifi low noise power souce, plugged into the transformer. The USB card was the Element H. Next was the power chords, so after some research I decided on the Odin 2 silver and 1 gold power cords, and one for the computer, DAC and AMP. Each cord gave a quantum leap in improvement, unreal! EDIT: Caveat, the Odin 2 needs 600 hours burn in! The gold cord plugged into the wall and the transformer. Next, odin gold XLR cables, and an Odin 2 silver usb cable. Added a grounding box on the transformer ground, and got an electrostatic mat to rest it all on. the mat also plugged into the transformer ground. some tweaks: pure silver fuses on DAC and transformer...electrophobic tape (lol) around the ends of the power cables. some rca caps...and for the phones I ended up with The Arya Stealth, which sound absolutley stunning on this system. there seems to be infinite extension in both ends, a vast soundstage, and NATURAL sounding tonality, what a GEM!!! :)

20220730_134548_HDR.jpg20220802_093922.jpg20220921_091358.jpg20221015_143900.jpg
20230613_201414.jpg
I looked at your cable pix--and now I'm blind!

May 14, 2024 at 9:15 PM Post #359 of 956
May 14, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #360 of 956
Winding down after a long day with the Auris Nirvana + ATH-L5000

1715736723866.png

Switching it up for some fun country rock:

1715736858037.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back