THE WATERCOOLER HEADPHONE EDITION – Headphones, Amps, DACs, and desktop/home audio related – a freewheeling discussion of gear, impressions, music, and musings.
May 14, 2024 at 9:36 PM Post #361 of 957
May 14, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #362 of 957
This review is outdated. He has since tried Susvara with other amps, and he concluded that the best amp for Susvara is Trafomatic Primavera.
Why do these TOTL tube amps weigh so much? The Primavera is almost 100 lbs!

Cost of these amp should include medical cost for back treatment.

May 14, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #363 of 957
Why do these TOTL tube amps weigh so much? The Primavera is almost 100 lbs!

Cost of these amp should include medical cost for back treatment.
The transformers made it heavy. The weight is actually 65 lbs not close to 100 lbs.

May 14, 2024 at 10:06 PM Post #364 of 957
From a reviewer who tried numerous chain to drive Susvara: two Benchmark AHB2 Power Amplifiers in Bridged Mode is the best:
https://soundnews.net/headphones/full-size/the-ultimate-hifiman-susvara-review/
I do like this review, but it is now old news. The likes of the Viva 845, Zahl HM-1, Riviera AIC-10, Mass-Kobo 465 and I am sure some others have now eliminated the need for the dual AHB2’s.

By the way, there are better 2-channel amps that can be used if you really want to go that route. Boulder, Viva, Ayre, Vitus to name just a few. I have not been interested in doing this, but might be fun to do using the Susvara as it should work with them. I always worry about that volume control though! Maybe someone else who has both can try them out?

May 14, 2024 at 10:37 PM Post #365 of 957
been lurking here for a while; was always (secretly) hoping for a watercooler headphone edition.

happy to be joining this thread! thank you @goldwerger !

Attachments

• IMG_20240515_102723.jpg
    IMG_20240515_102723.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
May 14, 2024 at 10:40 PM Post #366 of 957
been lurking here for a while; was always (secretly) hoping for a watercooler headphone edition.

So happy to hear that! Welcome!

:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

May 14, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #367 of 957
Great starting article for this thread. I have a HE6SE V2 and I heard HE6 OG 6 screws has much powerful bass, a little surprise to hear your impression.
I've compared the HE-6 6 screw vs the HE-6 SE and SE v2 - and as most here agree over the years - the 6 screw has much better low bass (impact/heft/rise time). But this is with high power SS amps, no amp that doesn't exceed 4 wpc@50 ohms will get proper bass out of them.

May 14, 2024 at 11:09 PM Post #368 of 957

Gotta admire the googly eyes on the Holo Spring!!! hahaha

May 14, 2024 at 11:28 PM Post #369 of 957
Enjoying some Jazz-Rock tonight with Aja by Steely Dan on my Susvara. An album I like, especially tracks Aja, and Deacon Blues. A quick story: When I finally attained the 2-channel system I had wanted for many, many years, Deacon Blues was one of the tracks played to show me what the system could do. Hope you all like it as well.

1715743154783.jpeg

May 14, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #370 of 957
Enjoying some Jazz-Rock tonight with Aja by Steely Dan on my Susvara. An album I like, especially tracks Aja, and Deacon Blues. A quick story: When I finally attained the 2-channel system I had wanted for many, many years, Deacon Blues was one of the tracks played to show me what the system could do. Hope you all like it as well.

Just made me think of Donald Fagen's album "The Nightfly". Listening to it as a teenager and love it to this day. One of those albums where all the tracks are great and a wondefful listen end to end.. ❤️

1715744943089.png

May 15, 2024 at 12:07 AM Post #371 of 957
Not desktop related, but I use an iFi iTube2 as a pre-amp to my Marantz PM-8004 occasionally. I upgraded the stock 15v power supply to an @iFi audio iPower X. Immediately I'm getting bigger, deeper bass out of my speakers (Monitor Audio Silver 9i). The mids may (MAY) be slightly richer but I wouldn't stake any claim on it. The bass is DEFINITELY stronger though. In fact, for my tastes, it may be very slightly too much....but wow that thing made a difference.

In other 2 channel news, my friend contacted me a few weeks ago asking me to help her build a system for her house since she's leaving the party lifestyle and spending more time at home. She had a budget of 400 bucks which wasn't a lot to work with. I ended up advising her to get Wharfedale Anniversary Limited Edition Diamond 7.2 bookshelves (big fan of these previously) and a Yamaha R-N303 integrated. I set them up at my place first and after much much much headache setting up that Yamaha with the software/bluetooth/etc. found they just don't drive the Wharfedale well. My NAD 3020 drives them effortlessly and my Marantz drives them well too. The Yamaha was struggling at high-mid volumes and beyond. Took the setup to her house, positioned everything, and in her room everything is actually driven well. So I found out that Yamaha + those speakers are really only great for low volumes but it works well in her space. She's happy and I'm happy.

I also had to fix her friend's system...he has a massive vinyl collection, and he had kind of given up listening to vinyl because he's enormously overweight and can't really get to the sub easily which is buried behind his TV setup...but every time he listened to vinyl at higher volumes he got distortion and lots of rumble through his speakers. I got back there and found someone had set his crossover settings too high and turned up the volume too much. After I set them back to normal, he was EXTREMELY happy and is returning to vinyl listening.

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 12:37 AM Post #372 of 957
It's called Bling, baby! lol....
It might actually look cooler to face your entire system backwards so that the cables are showing up in the front instead!

May 15, 2024 at 12:44 AM Post #373 of 957
This review is outdated. He has since tried Susvara with other amps, and he concluded that the best amp for Susvara is Trafomatic Primavera.

Not to by snarky, but who really cares what he thinks ?

Most of these ‘ reviewers’ influencers anyway.
I mean I like the guys personality and style, dont get me wrong.
But they get paid to do reviews. So I wouldn’t put too much stock into what people say.
I would trust peoples opinions on here more. Although manufacturers have people lurking in forums as well.

Well, pardon for that. I’m older, so crankier. Lol

May 15, 2024 at 1:00 AM Post #374 of 957
Not to by snarky, but who really cares what he thinks ?

Most of these ‘ reviewers’ influencers anyway.
I mean I like the guys personality and style, dont get me wrong.
But they get paid to do reviews. So I wouldn’t put too much stock into what people say.
I would trust peoples opinions on here more. Although manufacturers have people lurking in forums as well.

Well, pardon for that. I’m older, so crankier. Lol

To be fair, every reviewer is not created equal. I like Sandu’s reviews overall. Don’t always agree, but he is pretty thoughtful and thorough. There certainly are other reviewers who don’t do a great job, but still get paid for it, too. I don’t put a ton of stock into many reviewers, but some I value their opinions more than others.

May 15, 2024 at 1:06 AM Post #375 of 957

Users who are viewing this thread

Back