The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
Oct 21, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #3,781 of 4,701
Cool not heard of them i'll have a read about them.

They're really nice. Much better suited for portable use than the Pro80's but they're not light years better in pure SQ but still better in my opinion.

Oct 23, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #3,783 of 4,701
Originally Posted by Toothless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would suggest you look for a used Kingston HyperX Cloud, same headphone as the pro80.
They should be pretty popular where you live. I bought mine at almost perfect condition for only 50$ with 10 month warranty left.

Hi ! i just did that and i am waiting to receive them.
Let me ask you some questions.
1)    which amp are you using to drive them ?
2)    have you compared the Kingstons to any other HPs using the same amp ?
Thanks a lot and kind regards
gino

Oct 24, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #3,784 of 4,701

Hi ! i just did that and i am waiting to receive them.
Let me ask you some questions.
1)    which amp are you using to drive them ?
2)    have you compared the Kingstons to any other HPs using the same amp ?
Thanks a lot and kind regards
gino

I think the Pro80/HyperX Cloud is quite efficient. It sounds loud right out of my laptop realtek onbard soundcard. Upon plugging it to the Schiit Modi/Magni, the bass turns a bit fuller and tighter at the same volume.
Beside the Cloud, I have a Beyer DT880 250 ohms and a Grado Sr325is and I gotta say that the Cloud is really close in comparison to those 2 much more expensive cans. Each of them serves specific genres for me: Cloud for EDM, DT880 for classical, and Sr325 for rock/metal.

Oct 25, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #3,786 of 4,701
Originally Posted by Toothless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the Pro80/HyperX Cloud is quite efficient. It sounds loud right out of my laptop realtek onbard soundcard.
Upon plugging it to the Schiit Modi/Magni, the bass turns a bit fuller and tighter at the same volume.
Beside the Cloud, I have a Beyer DT880 250 ohms and a Grado Sr325is and
I gotta say that the Cloud is really close in comparison to those 2 much more expensive cans.

Hi and thanks a lot for the very helpful reply.
As i said i have already a Magni 2 that i like a lot indeed.  I am happy to hear that it will mate fine with the Kingstons.
I should receive them very soon.  The build quality looks very fine in relation with the price.

Quote:
Each of them serves specific genres for me: Cloud for EDM, DT880 for classical, and Sr325 for rock/metal. 

This is very interesting.  I have somewhere at parents' home an old pair of SR200.  Sadly i damaged one driver that now sounds weaker than the other.
Anyway it is an interesting advice.  I have to dig a little more in the reviews of to try to understand what makes Grado HPs so special with rock music.  It is not the first time that i read this opinion Also because i like rock music of course a lot.
Thanks a lot again,  gino

Oct 25, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #3,788 of 4,701
Have we found any cheap good over ears in this thread so far? If so give me suggestions.

The Takstar Pro 80 / HSR1000 / HyperX Cloud usually get most of the praise in this thread, and for good reason. Good luck!

Oct 26, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #3,789 of 4,701
try to understand what makes Grado HPs so special with rock music

I love them for their quick and forward reproduction of the music. Electric guitars, for example, sound crunchy, lively and extremely addictive through them, which make you feel like you're literally standing on the stage with the musicians. This is what reference, true to the source headphones like the DT880 or HD600 can not deliver.

Oct 26, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #3,791 of 4,701
  I love them for their quick and forward reproduction of the music. Electric guitars, for example, sound crunchy, lively and extremely addictive through them, which make you feel like you're literally standing on the stage with the musicians. This is what reference, true to the source headphones like the DT880 or HD600 can not deliver.

Is that due to the frequency response? Could I eq. my HyperX Cloud to sound at least more similiar to the Grado sound?

Oct 26, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #3,792 of 4,701

HI andf thanks again for the interesting opinion.
I had the same feeling you mention.  Something like the live effect.  They are clearly very well designed 
I should try them again.  
Thanks a lot, gino  

Oct 26, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #3,793 of 4,701
  Is that due to the frequency response? Could I eq. my HyperX Cloud to sound at least more similiar to the Grado sound?

IMHO you can, to some extent. To my ears the Cloud mid and treble has always been sounding more similar to the Grado Sr325is than the DT880, i.e more agressive than neutral. You could try lowering the sub bass a bit so that the bass does not overshadow other frequencies, and kill the peaks like this post suggests to see how the sound changes.

Oct 28, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #3,794 of 4,701
They're really nice. Much better suited for portable use than the Pro80's but they're not light years better in pure SQ but still better in my opinion.

Just to give a second opinion, since the dolphin is quite a lot more expensive at 100$ (right? :) I have to say my pair lacked build quality. I have a takstar going strong for 3 years but my dolphin didn't last the year and was flimsy from the first day. The bearing hinges that attach the metal hooks (that then attach to the cups) were just awful and with way too much flex and just gave up after less than a year of careful usage.

I woulnd't bother with this since I could just be a 1 in a 100 but since the build quality really oozed "this will happen" and it then happened I feel compelled to write about it. I'd also give the takstars to my ears the overall win. Maybe my dolphins were a majorly faulty unit, but they did come from penonaudio, so they shouldn't be. The bass sounded like it lacked a certain frequency and was somehow just not full, reminds me a bit of HM5s bass, which has a frequency dip, it also reminds me of tests such as golden ears when a part of the bass frequency is removed (lowered). I don't tend to prefer a particularly bassy headphone either, the K550 is what I'd call bang on in bass quantity for me. The dolphins also had harsh highs (maybe a bit similar to the k550 but they arent necessarily emphasized, they just lack refinement somehow), and of course as possibly everyone has mentioned, they don't come close to the soundstage of the takstars. Finally they look much nicer on pictures than in real life.

Oct 28, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #3,795 of 4,701
  Just to give a second opinion, since the dolphin is quite a lot more expensive at 100$ (right? :) I have to say my pair lacked build quality. I have a takstar going strong for 3 years but my dolphin didn't last the year and was flimsy from the first day. The bearing hinges that attach the metal hooks (that then attach to the cups) were just awful and with way too much flex and just gave up after less than a year of careful usage.

I woulnd't bother with this since I could just be a 1 in a 100 but since the build quality really oozed "this will happen" and it then happened I feel compelled to write about it. I'd also give the takstars to my ears the overall win. Maybe my dolphins were a majorly faulty unit, but they did come from penonaudio, so they shouldn't be. The bass sounded like it lacked a certain frequency and was somehow just not full, reminds me a bit of HM5s bass, which has a frequency dip, it also reminds me of tests such as golden ears when a part of the bass frequency is removed (lowered). I don't tend to prefer a particularly bassy headphone either, the K550 is what I'd call bang on in bass quantity for me. The dolphins also had harsh highs (maybe a bit similar to the k550 but they arent necessarily emphasized, they just lack refinement somehow), and of course as possibly everyone has mentioned, they don't come close to the soundstage of the takstars. Finally they look much nicer on pictures than in real life.

Fair points with the mtal hooks. I've used my pair quite a lot, especially when travelling, and the show now sign of any weakness but I've got a very small head (typically use even the small Pro80's on the smallest setting).

As for the sound I find the soundstage on the Dolphin's very similar to that of the Pro80's and the highs don't seem harsh to me at all but YMMV. Btw, I've removed the foam inside my Dolphin's. 

I actually hadn't listened to them in quite a while when I brought them out for a comparison last week and I was really surprised how good they still sounded, this is not always the case when returning to things after a long time. Different strokes for different folks :)

My old Pro80's are worn to piesces, literally, after three years though......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back