The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 3, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #20,851 of 24,807
Feb 3, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #20,852 of 24,807
Well it's not the one I had, which was not mint, but basically was after I was done with it.

Feb 3, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #20,853 of 24,807
Good price. Lack of feedback is worrisome.
Don't ever pay with PP gift, personal check or money order, all of which he accepts.
No feedback here, Audiogon or ebay. Worrisome indeed.

Feb 4, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #20,854 of 24,807

Quote:
Good price. Lack of feedback is worrisome.
Don't ever pay with PP gift, personal check or money order, all of which he accepts.
No feedback here, Audiogon or ebay. Worrisome indeed.

Thank you. Maybe I should back away. Thing is , he sounded kind of like an older man, like me, in our PMs. I know I would also indicate "accept all these types of payment" out of habit, because that's the way we did it before there even was a PayPal. But the lack of feedback anywhere might be a dark sign. 
blink.gif

Quote:
Well it's not the one I had, which was not mint, but basically was after I was done with it.

Wish I had yours, then. Thanks for both your replies. :)

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #20,855 of 24,807
Quote:
SZ1-1050

PS: Also selling a BHSE

Interesting that the photos of the BHSE show it has a serial number 020 and has a 230v power supply. The voltage doesn't make sense for someone in the US, but he does include a voltage converter in the pack., so maybe he got it second hand and the only model available at the time was a UK version.

Regarding your earlier question, I don't think the SRM-006t/SR-007 will sound "horrible". As you already have the 006t, it doesn't cost anything to try for yourself - even if you don't like it, at least you'll know more clearly what you're looking for as the next upgrade step. A lot depends on the type of music you prefer  and you don't mind a more laid back presentation. Classical, jazz, singer songwriter types will be more suitable than fast rock. And low/moderate volumes more suitable than loud. This is based on my experience when going from 006t+SR-404 signature to a 007t+SR-007 Mk1. There was a short period in the switch over when I tried all 4 combinations.

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #20,856 of 24,807
Quote:
Member Inquiry/Scam Avoidance

Community: I have an offer out on a Omega 2/Mk1 on Audiogon. It is described as mint and one-owner. Of course this is a siren song to my ears, but the seller has no feedback at all on Audiogon. I have also tried to search for him on Head-Fi several different ways, but his username (from Audiogon) does not appear. I PM'd Currawong about this, and he said to post it here and ask for feedback. The seller's handle is audioonetoo in Peoria, Ill. I must emphasize that for all I know he is perfectly honorable, and I have no wish to disparage anyone. If anyone has had or has heard of any improper or fraudulent activity by this username, please post here ASAP.

Thank you,
Jeffrey

In regards to the BHSE listing on Audiogon: it looks very suspicious to me. There's quite a bit of copy in that ad that's not on HeadAmp.com and sounds like info that might be either made up or inaccurate (for example: the Alps RK50 is $1K, not $1495). And if I were you, I'd ask why he's using a 230V version in the USA. You could also ask Justin @ HeadAmp who bought serial #20, so you can determine if the seller is the original owner or not.

Feb 4, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #20,857 of 24,807
Quote:
Interesting that the photos of the BHSE show it has a serial number 020 and has a 230v power supply. The voltage doesn't make sense for someone in the US, but he does include a voltage converter in the pack., so maybe he got it second hand and the only model available at the time was a UK version.

Regarding your earlier question, I don't think the SRM-006t/SR-007 will sound "horrible". As you already have the 006t, it doesn't cost anything to try for yourself - even if you don't like it, at least you'll know more clearly what you're looking for as the next upgrade step. A lot depends on the type of music you prefer  and you don't mind a more laid back presentation. Classical, jazz, singer songwriter types will be more suitable than fast rock. And low/moderate volumes more suitable than loud. This is based on my experience when going from 006t+SR-404 signature to a 007t+SR-007 Mk1. There was a short period in the switch over when I tried all 4 combinations.

Thank you, Attorney, that makes good sense. And I wonder if you are are clairvoyant re my listening: my favorite music is "classical" of all all periods, jazz, folk, classical guitar and female vocal (though I grow weary of that last category). Also, I suffered what was, for a lifelong music lover, a most unfortunate injury as a young man: a through-and-back puncturing of my left eardrum. Any kind of sustained loud music causes pain in that ear, esp. upper midrange to mid-treble. I rarely listen louder than average level = 80dB and peaks in high 80s.

Quote:

In regards to the BHSE listing on Audiogon: it looks very suspicious to me. There's quite a bit of copy in that ad that's not on HeadAmp.com and sounds like info that might be either made up or inaccurate (for example: the Alps RK50 is $1K, not $1495). And if I were you, I'd ask why he's using a 230V version in the USA. You could also ask Justin @ HeadAmp who bought serial #20, so you can determine if the seller is the original owner or not.

ASR, thank you for the careful observations; you have a good eye, as you saw details I missed. As it happens, I will be talking to Justin tomorrow by prior arrangement on another matter, so it will be convenient to discuss this with him.

Feb 4, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #20,858 of 24,807
You all have been great so far. I welcome any additional ideas, cautions or advice, but this has already been most helpful.

o2smile.gif
 (wannabe!)

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #20,860 of 24,807
Regarding your earlier question, I don't think the SRM-006t/SR-007 will sound "horrible".

From my point of view, where tomorrow my very first Stax (SR-303 + SRM-Xh) comes in the mail, I find this statement to be pretty hilarious. I guess when one gets to the level of thousands of dollars of equipment, the scale of "horrible" takes a drastic change. 
tongue.gif

Feb 4, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #20,863 of 24,807
Quote:
Jeffrey, I don't live that far out from him.  If you'd like I could message him and see if he would do an in-person meet for pickup, I have to be in Chicago next week either way.  Bank transfer doesn't offer protection for the buyer, so you really have to know what you're dealing with.

Radiohead: That is the most generous offer. I  love the way this community pulls together. Yes, I would welcome that arrangement. I have not heard back from him today, but as soon as I do I will get back to you.

AGAIN, THANK YOU ALL FOR THE CONTINUING INPUT. GREAT SUPPORT.​

Feb 4, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #20,864 of 24,807
Quote:
@jeffreyfranz -  best is to PM Justin asking for the history behind this amp. Then you could confirm with the seller. See if his statement in line with information you have.

We live a couple time zones apart. If you mean by telephone, yes, I am going to request that. Thanks. 

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #20,865 of 24,807
Quote:
Any good recommendations for a DAC in the $1000~2000 range for the good old 007 MK1/717 combo anyone?

I currently have the older Stello DA100 via Hiface and I'm happy with it balance wise paired with the 007/717, but after trying out the Anedio D1 I could see how much detail it was lacking compared to the more recent DACs. Unfortunately, I found that the excellent but overall laid-back D1 made the combo a little too laid back for my liking, so it's back to the drawing board.  I wonder if the Wyred 4 Sound DAC1/2 would be any different as it's the same Sabre DAC chip but obviously different overall design... has anyone tried out that particular combo?  I'd like more detail without losing the attack and the liveliness of the Stello...

Any recommendation would be welcome, new or used as long as it's in that price range. 

Quote:

The DAC-2 is all these thing, though a little dark of neutral.  Same HiFace you have now even.

So... upon some searching I managed to find a used Wyred 4 Sound DAC-1 locally (more or less similar to DAC-2 from what I've read) to try with my 007/717 and as Solude said, it definitely did improve the rig by quite a bit! It kept the same degree of aggressiveness with much more refinement, air and detail over the Stello, with more soundstage to boot. Perhaps a tad less weighty in the bass area compared to the Stello but that may be because it was extremely tight and well controlled.

.....but.... due to unforeseen circumstances, I need to part with the DAC-1 for now due to needing some funds 
redface.gif
.  However, just wanted to write here that the DAC-1 was definitely a great match with the 007/717 combo... I'll likely get the DAC-2 few months down the road when I can afford them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back