The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 2, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #20,836 of 24,807
SR-007 with SRM-006ts: A way to get started or a waste of time

I currently use the 006ts with the SR-507. I am thinking seriously about getting an Omega II Mk. I for all its known virtues. I do understand the limitations of the SRM-006ts and so have a question. My Question: As I cannot right now get into high-end amps, could I use the Omega II with the 006ts and enjoy many of its benefits, or do people think it would be a pointless pairing?

Thanks to all.

Feb 2, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #20,837 of 24,807
I can see the combo being overly laid back and loose there.  I would hope that you have brighter-than-neutral source behind that combo, or else I can see it being way too laid back.  If you are on a tight budget I'd at least look for a used SRM-1 MKII as a temporary measure or something... it'll still be underpowered but it has more power than the 006 as far as I know, and at least the SRM-1 would be a decent match signature wise (very clinical sounding from my own experience, which matches well with the tend-to-be-warm 007 MK1's).

Feb 2, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #20,838 of 24,807
Quote:
I can see the combo being overly laid back and loose there.  I would hope that you have brighter-than-neutral source behind that combo, or else I can see it being way too laid back.  If you are on a tight budget I'd at least look for a used SRM-1 MKII as a temporary measure or something... it'll still be underpowered but it has more power than the 006 as far as I know, and at least the SRM-1 would be a decent match signature wise (very clinical sounding from my own experience, which matches well with the tend-to-be-warm 007 MK1's).

Thank you, K19, helpful info.

Feb 2, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #20,839 of 24,807
Quote:
SR-007 with SRM-006ts: A way to get started or a waste of time

I currently use the 006ts with the SR-507. I am thinking seriously about getting an Omega II Mk. I for all its known virtues. I do understand the limitations of the SRM-006ts and so have a question. My Question: As I cannot right now get into high-end amps, could I use the Omega II with the 006ts and enjoy many of its benefits, or do people think it would be a pointless pairing?

Thanks to all.

You could always consider getting a 323S to replace the 006ts. I've used the 323S with the 007 mk1 and it sounds very good indeed. not sloppy. (it replaced a woo GES at the time and the difference was easy to notice. stronger bass impact, leaner mid bass vs the GES)

Although I am currently using a 007ta amp, the time in between my use of the old 323s and the 007t is very large so I can't compare them accurately. I would say that the 007ta with the mk1 O2 is not sloppy either but it is many times more expensive than the 323s (and 006t)

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #20,840 of 24,807
Quote:

You could always consider getting a 323S to replace the 006ts. I've used the 323S with the 007 mk1 and it sounds very good indeed. not sloppy. (it replaced a woo GES at the time and the difference was easy to notice. stronger bass impact, leaner mid bass vs the GES)

Although I am currently using a 007ta amp, the time in between my use of the old 323s and the 007t is very large so I can't compare them accurately. I would say that the 007ta with the mk1 O2 is not sloppy either but it is many times more expensive than the 323s (and 006t)

Thank you, LCfiner. That, too, is helpful. Yes, I have thought that might be the only realistic "holding-pattern" way to go, if I did not want to spend big bucks all at once. I guess I was kind of hoping the 006ts was at least "not horrible" on the 007, so I could simultaneously get excited about acquiring an Omega 2 while being lazy about doing anything else for awhile. :) But there is no sense pretending. I never thought I would be spending these kind of bucks (let alone a 009!) on used headphones, but if I'm going to do it there is no sense creating a self-defeating outcome up front. 

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #20,841 of 24,807
From my own experience, sound wise I am not sure the 323S is worth its cost over the SRM-1 as a temporary measure for the 007's. 323S do sound better IMO (slightly better control over the bass region) but at their retail cost of ~$1000 or used at $700-800 that's quite a bit more than a used SRM-1 which sounds nearly as good as the 323S as long as they're in great condition. But of course, there's the fact that SRM-1's are a hit and miss condition wise (they're over 20 years old at least after all) and that you get a full manufacturer's warranty if you get the 323S new is something to consider as well if you do plan to keep the amp for a long time.

But IMO, going to a higher tier amp is almost inevitable for a 007 owner, trust me 
tongue.gif
. Either SRM-1 or the 323S will merely be a stepping stone for something better for sure in the long run... so I'd get the cheaper SRM-1 used in using it for the short term if you absolutely need something as an adequate placeholder or just save for something like a used 717 or a KGSS instead from the beginning.

And since you already have the 006, you could always try it with that too. For sure they're not optimal, but everyone's ears are different... who's to say that you won't enjoy the sound enough? 
o2smile.gif
 And if you decide that the 007 is not right for you with what you can afford... they're usually an easy sell with minimal loss here.

Feb 3, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #20,842 of 24,807
Quote:
A mild upper-mid (4-6khz iirc) spike. It's not a family trait tho, Just some 'chosen' few. the most frequent said offender was the SR-404.

The Lambda Pro Signature had the thinnest and therefore lightest diaphragm ever used by Stax in an electrostatic headphone, 1.0 micron. They also are the only Stax 'phone to use ZERO damping stuff behind the diaphragm. As a result they are a little "hot" at some frequencies.  Not as much of  a peak as the Sennheiser HD800, but definitely have a little extra energy in the upper "presence" region and also a touch of extra detail-enhancing treble. Gives them a sound where the details, the transients, sound more prominent than they really are-  as though theses sonic features were details of an engraving where the background had been etched out a little by some means, to make these fine details stand out a little from the background.

Not always unpleasant depending on the music and your mood, but decidedly not neutral.

When I listen to my Lambda Pro Signatures, I often dial in a little DSP EQ cut, which tames this effect a little making it less objectionable- but of course a static EQ doesn't change the transient or other time-domain behavior -  the 'phones likely ring a little at these frequencies, and so on, so even though EQ helps tame the most sizzling part of this "Stax etch" it doesn't eliminate the artifact completely.

In some ways these headphones are good for checking recordings, listening for details in field recordings and so on, because they reveal - in fact they ENHANCE- details that might be blended in or buried in the mix when heard on more neutral headphones.

The 'etch'  gives them a 'crisp' and 'detailed' sound, which sounds a bit unnatural on  acoustic instruments and ensembles, but which can be a fun sound on other material.

See  http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=Stax_SR-%CE%9B_Signature

Feb 3, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #20,843 of 24,807
Well I love them :)

being not perfectly neutral but mpre onvolving than the Lambda Pro (which are really instruments for professionals - studios...)

I like them with the ED-1 Equalizer (depends on the way music was recorded) most of the time.

Regards Georg

Feb 3, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #20,844 of 24,807
It's been said a hundred, Stax 323S and Woo GES are baselines for the rest.  Unless you are ready to wait for a used amp to pop, diy skills and the beard to work on high voltage or money in hand for the BHSE those two amps are the choices.

Feb 3, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #20,845 of 24,807
I confirmed that my Lambda Signature takes about 3 hours to fully charge up if I don't use it often.
I have experienced this few times, the "etch"(my ear pain) seems suddenly gone after 3 hours.
confused_face.gif

Feb 3, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #20,846 of 24,807
Maybe they're just slowly eating away at that part of your hearing. :D

Quote:
I confirmed that my Lambda Signature takes about 3 hours to fully charge up if I don't use it often.
I have experienced this few times, the "etch"(my ear pain) seems suddenly gone after 3 hours.
confused_face.gif

Feb 3, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #20,847 of 24,807
Quote:
It's been said a hundred, Stax 323S and Woo GES are baselines for the rest.  Unless you are ready to wait for a used amp to pop, diy skills and the beard to work on high voltage or money in hand for the BHSE those two amps are the choices.

Thank you, Solude. Yes, and I have read exhaustively through at least a dozen different search inventories that I created from this thread. I think the obsession has taken me from behind and I am going around in circles. Yes, those are the two at this level. Thanks again. 
o2smile.gif
 (wannabe)

Feb 3, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #20,849 of 24,807
Member Inquiry/Scam Avoidance

Community: I have an offer out on a Omega 2/Mk1 on Audiogon. It is described as mint and one-owner. Of course this is a siren song to my ears, but the seller has no feedback at all on Audiogon. I have also tried to search for him on Head-Fi several different ways, but his username (from Audiogon) does not appear. I PM'd Currawong about this, and he said to post it here and ask for feedback. The seller's handle is audioonetoo in Peoria, Ill. I must emphasize that for all I know he is perfectly honorable, and I have no wish to disparage anyone. If anyone has had or has heard of any improper or fraudulent activity by this username, please post here ASAP.

Thank you,
Jeffrey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back