The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #20,807 of 24,807
Quote:

If you add a good power supply to it (eg: Vaunix hub or similar) it gets even better.

Stax earspeakers are not Martin Logan panels. If you vacuumed a pair, you will destroy the membranes and the headphones. 

IMO if you need better dynamics, you might be better suited to a pair of orthos and suitable amplification (eg: Audeze or Hifiman) than 'stats. However, for best results with those, you still need to make a serious amp investment.

Hey, c'mon, guys, what about the OP (me)? First, Pat, thanks for replying, but I was not begging the question of vacuuming the phones or contradicting Spritzer. I always thought M-L was nuts to recommend that and never thought to do it to my Stax. That was someone else's issue/post. And I am not complaining about the inherent sound of electrostatic (earspeakers or speakers); I have used and preferred them all my life (Acoustat, M-L, Quad). I have read in this thread people usually not having much good to say about my amp (006ts), and I was asking for input re would I get any benefit sonically by switching to the SRM-1/2. It puts 70 more volts on the electrodes. My question: Would it be an improvement with my 507s, a sideways move, or a backwards move. And also, if I get the chance to move up to Omega 2 Mk. 1, would it do a decent job. Thanks.

Jan 30, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #20,809 of 24,807
Searched all of head-fi for this but there hasen't been a mention of it yet, so it's time to call upon the stax mafia for help.

Has anyone had any experience with these amps? I have only seen some forums in China talk about it, and apparently its highly regarded. (Also Chinese made? not sure.)

叶立 8PS

This one is definitely for use with Stax, as it is always compared with the 727/007ta

And the 8PR (from the jack I would assume these are for normal headphone use?)

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #20,811 of 24,807
Any good recommendations for a DAC in the $1000~2000 range for the good old 007 MK1/717 combo anyone?

I currently have the older Stello DA100 via Hiface and I'm happy with it balance wise paired with the 007/717, but after trying out the Anedio D1 I could see how much detail it was lacking compared to the more recent DACs. Unfortunately, I found that the excellent but overall laid-back D1 made the combo a little too laid back for my liking, so it's back to the drawing board.  I wonder if the Wyred 4 Sound DAC1/2 would be any different as it's the same Sabre DAC chip but obviously different overall design... has anyone tried out that particular combo?  I'd like more detail without losing the attack and the liveliness of the Stello...

Any recommendation would be welcome, new or used as long as it's in that price range. 

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #20,812 of 24,807
Quote:
Any good recommendations for a DAC in the $1000~2000 range for the good old 007 MK1/717 combo anyone?

I currently have the older Stello DA100 via Hiface and I'm happy with it balance wise paired with the 007/717, but after trying out the Anedio D1 I could see how much detail it was lacking compared to the more recent DACs. Unfortunately, I found that the excellent but overall laid-back D1 made the combo a little too laid back for my liking, so it's back to the drawing board.  I wonder if the Wyred 4 Sound DAC1/2 would be any different as it's the same Sabre DAC chip but obviously different overall design... has anyone tried out that particular combo?  I'd like more detail without losing the attack and the liveliness of the Stello...

Any recommendation would be welcome, new or used as long as it's in that price range. 

Check out the Mytek 192. It's working nicely with my 727ii + SR-009s. The synergy is definitely there and a really neutral sound. However, it does add a little bit of warmth so you may like it.

Jan 31, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #20,814 of 24,807
Quote:

2. Somebody here spoke about the damping material or foam is available for the Lambdas?

As was suggested the back wave foam for Lambdas is indeed available from STAX.  I just ordered some for my LNS.  

I am sure that you could also cut some open cell foam to size as a much cheap solution, as was also suggested.

Jan 31, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #20,815 of 24,807
Quote:

Audio-Gd Reference 5.32    US $ 909.00

Jan 31, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #20,816 of 24,807
Quote:
I wonder if the Wyred 4 Sound DAC1/2 would be any different as it's the same Sabre DAC chip but obviously different overall design... has anyone tried out that particular combo?  I'd like more detail without losing the attack and the liveliness of the Stello...

The DAC-2 is all these thing, though a little dark of neutral.  Same HiFace you have now even.

Jan 31, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #20,817 of 24,807
Quote:
1. I'm failed to get some answer, but probably there is no chance to acquire some STAX replace cables with 6 pins?
2. Somebody here spoke about the damping material or foam is available for the Lambdas?

The 6 pin cables are long sold out at Stax but a distributor somewhere in the world might have a set.  Not likely though. 

Jan 31, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #20,819 of 24,807
Quote:

I find the Grace Design m903 to sound lovely with my 007mk1/717 combo. It has a little more and better (= more detail and smoother at the same time) highs than what I was used to with my previous sources. The extra highs are welcome on the 007/717 combo. The m903 also has a great volume control, allowing you to bypass the internal pot of the 717. I think much value for money can be had with the professionally oriented dacs. The Mytek dac mentioned above is one of these, though I have no experience with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back