The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 19, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #19,756 of 24,807
Quote:

Why don't you just get it repaired? It would be cheaper and would last many more years.

I decided to try this on my own. I used some freon contact cleaner on all the switches and knobs, but ultimately to no success. It still has that same strange distortion that is only apparent in certain parts of my music collection. Unfortunately, I don't think I have the knowledge or know how to do anything else at this point.

Oct 19, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #19,757 of 24,807
The 507 and 009 cable is silver plated. I wasn't looking to make the O2's sound like the 009's. I was thinking maybe silver would have a positive effect on how the O2's sound. Possibly brighter maybe wider sound stage and more detail. Who can say for sure but I would guess running at 580v the cable would have some effect on the sound being made of a different material.

Oct 20, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #19,758 of 24,807
I sold my MK2.5 since it had a touch too much Lambda-esque coloration for my taste. They aren't bad, in fact they're probably light years better than most of the stuff out there.

Could you please elaborate on that?

Going by my own SR-Lambda vs. SR-202 experiences, not all Lambdas sound alike, even if there are overall similarities to the sound presentation (like soundstage).

Yes some elaboration of this Lambda coloration would be quite useful. I am evaluating a Lambda Pro right now, and I have to say that it's a very enjoyable headphone that doesn't seem take a back seat to my more expensive dynamics. It's my first electrostatic experience, so far so good but I wonder about moving on to other models. I would like to try an SR-007 MK1, an SR-Omega, and if I ever find a deal on an old HE Audio Jade I'm in.

But I really have no idea what the other Stax models are like, only that the Lambda Pro is a bit different that the typical Stax signature. For the $325 I spent ($375 including a new set of pads), I am quite pleased so far, listening out of a WEE. When considering higher Stax models I can't help but wonder about the SR-009, but it's literally 15x the cost :rolleyes:.

Oct 20, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #19,759 of 24,807
Quote:

Depends on the cable thickness and especially color.

Yes and the number of 9's advertised in the chemical assay - obviously copper wire  claimed  to be 99.9999999999999999% pure oxygen free MUST sound better than wire that is only 99.99% pure oxygen free.  

Never mind that the practical limit of analytical chemistry for determination of metal wire purity makes it all but impossible to determine purity beyond about four decimals, and even analysis to four places is CERTAINLY not something being routinely done in any QC lab in any wire factory or by a headphone cable manufacturer in-house.  MAYBE critical metals intended for use in man-rated spacecraft or nuclear power stations are subject to analysis at this level, but certainly mere WIRE is not!

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #19,763 of 24,807
It is a 407 cable cut down to a nub and epoxy glued into a cut down drilled out part from the O2's. I made it months ago when I accidental stepped on the O2's cable and one channel went out. I was glad in one way because the copper in the originals strain relief was turning black.

Oct 20, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #19,764 of 24,807
New 007 mk2 happy owner here :) I've been using a pai of 507 for more than one year and some 202 before...I guess it was time for a change. The 009 are way to expensive or me at the moment, so it was a no-no. I posted ome impressions in the 507 thread

Oct 20, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #19,765 of 24,807
Congrats !!! 
beerchug.gif

Oct 20, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #19,766 of 24,807
Quote:
It is a 407 cable cut down to a nub and epoxy glued into a cut down drilled out part from the O2's. I made it months ago when I accidental stepped on the O2's cable and one channel went out. I was glad in one way because the copper in the originals strain relief was turning black.

I see, great job! I thought that the first picture of the old broken cable, very nice.

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #19,767 of 24,807
Hello Everyone,

I've been lurking around for quite a while now, reading a lot. But here is the time for questions. I'm about to receive a SRM-323s. I obviously do need a Stax headphone now
beyersmile.png
I do not have any Stax resellers around so it is pretty difficult for me so see whether there is any significant difference between a 207 and a 307 or 407 for instance. If you have advise, I'm all ears
smile.gif

ps : my current setup is an HD-580 with HD-600 cable, fed with an Mtech HiFace + Musical-FIdelity Vdac + Little Dot (mullard tubes)
ps2 : sorry for my english, not my mother's tongue
triportsad.gif

Oct 22, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #19,768 of 24,807
Not to change the subject, but I will be in Tokyo in December and I am thinking about taking a tour of The Stax Factory!  If such a thing could be arranged?  I recently got a US PressCorps PhotoJournalist Pass and I am wondering how I might contact Stax Japan to arrange a tour.  It seem that Stax Japan does not have an e mail address.  Any advice would be great.  Scottsmrnyc

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #19,769 of 24,807
Quote:
Not to change the subject, but I will be in Tokyo in December and I am thinking about taking a tour of The Stax Factory!  If such a thing could be arranged?  I recently got a US PressCorps PhotoJournalist Pass and I am wondering how I might contact Stax Japan to arrange a tour.  It seem that Stax Japan does not have an e mail address.  Any advice would be great.  Scottsmrnyc

That would be rather interesting if their factory is even open to anyone but no harm in trying I guess. If you like, there's going to be a Fujiya Avic festival show this weekend and Stax will undoubtedly be there. We (Tokyo head-fi) could ask them if they're willing to entertain the idea at all.

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #19,770 of 24,807
I would definitely would be mad if I couldn't tag along a Stax visit. To be honest though, I think it would take a Jude or a Tyll to get those doors open, and even then... I can do some bit of translation but it may get very very rough on the edges :wink:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back