The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 6, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #17,626 of 24,807
Good, maybe in a year I'll be ready for some SR-009s if I feel that's the direction I want to go.

Mar 6, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #17,627 of 24,807

Quote:
Sillysally - for now I am using the O2 mk1 but planning to get the 009s this summer. Are you saying that that 727 without mod is ok with them (the 009s)!?

Yes that is what I am saying.
As far as a little tighter bass and a little brighter treble goes, that's personal choice.
My 4 fears with doing the mod is, too bright, warranty, not easy to do the mod or reverse the mod, and will the mod draw in the sound-stage.

I paid less than 2k for my 727 USA version new, shipped, from a authorized dealer. Now compared to say a bhse at 6k plus the high cost of tube rolling, much bigger foot print, the heat issue, the long agonizing wait, is it worth the huge cost difference if you are using the SR-009's as I am.

Mar 7, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #17,629 of 24,807

Quote:
The market consensus is that the yen will slowly devalue over the next year, but there are certainly no guarantees that will actually happen. The Bank of Japan would certainly like that to happen and have expressed their intention to encourage things in that direction. I don't expect the rate to continue moving in favour of the dollar as fast as it has in the last month.

Hum, that is what I would worry the most here: “market consensus”. I don't remember anyone who made money on the long run because he or she was in phase with the consensus of the moment, on the contrary, it goes mostly the other way around. I'll leave aside the fact that the market consensus is constantly changing, like the direction the wind blows... Really, you better get that pair of 009 now and listen to music you like rather than listening to anyone who claims to know whether any currency will be up or down six months or so from now. 

Mar 7, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #17,630 of 24,807
Me and my friend tried out some stax's yesterday (that we own). I had my stax 009 and lambda pro with me. That was actually the very first time i listened to the 009 since i don't own a amp for electrostatics headphones. the 009 will now being "burn in" for some couple of weeks. 

after a couple of hours of listening, i believe we both find the stax lambda pro to be the desert island headphone.

list of the headphones we compared with. 

Stax SR-009, Stax Omega 2 Mk2, Stax SR-507, Stax Lambda Nova Classic, Stax SR-Lambda Pro, Stax SR-003, Stax SR-Sigma, Stax SR-Gamma, Stax SR-X MK3, Stax SR-5 Gold

Mar 7, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #17,631 of 24,807
Nice choice:))

I always Switch between the Lambda Pro/Signature and the Sigma Pros depending on the music the kind of microphones used ....
I also use extensively diffusefieldequalization (depending on the music, .... )

Regards Georg

PS: I've never tried the SR009 and I don-ät know if I should:))

Mar 7, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #17,633 of 24,807

Quote:
Yes that is what I am saying.
As far as a little tighter bass and a little brighter treble goes, that's personal choice.

My 4 fears with doing the mod is, too bright, warranty, not easy to do the mod or reverse the mod, and will the mod draw in the sound-stage.

I paid less than 2k for my 727 USA version new, shipped, from a authorized dealer. Now compared to say a bhse at 6k plus the high cost of tube rolling, much bigger foot print, the heat issue, the long agonizing wait, is it worth the huge cost difference if you are using the SR-009's as I am.

I think that's solid advice. 

I thought the BHSE and LL sounded fine with the 009 at the recent Bay Area Head-Fi Meet.  But the real surprise, for me, was how the Stax 009 sounded even warmer and delivered more low end via the 727-II amp from Stax.
Not what I was expecting at all. 

Mar 8, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #17,635 of 24,807
Who knows this amp?

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/electrostatic-headphone-amp-ea-8-stax

Regards Georg

Any comments.... :))

Mar 8, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #17,636 of 24,807

Quote:
Who knows this amp?

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/electrostatic-headphone-amp-ea-8-stax

Regards Georg

Any comments.... :))

I would avoid anything made by McAlister like the plague. See this and the previous post above it:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/500655/any-current-stax-o2-owners-heard-the-audeze-lcd-2/75#post_6767740

Mar 8, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #17,637 of 24,807

I would avoid anything made by McAlister like the plague. See this and the previous post above it:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/500655/any-current-stax-o2-owners-heard-the-audeze-lcd-2/75#post_6767740

Wow that looks terrible. Might still be worth bidding on it though, as long as you don't go over $200 :D

Mar 8, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #17,638 of 24,807
This is another really BAD design. No global feedback, output tubes that are going
to be impossible to match, not enough gain, high distortion, and build quality
that rivals mikhail.

$200 is too much to offer.

Mar 8, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #17,640 of 24,807
Hey all, just wanted to let SR-007 MK1 brown owners know Staxusa.com aka Yama's has brown headband arcs. They wouldn't respond to emails so I ordered and hoped for the best. Opened the box and they were brown, thankfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back