The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 18, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #15,406 of 24,807

Quote:
I would still keep my O2 + 717 rig over any other dynamic/ortho rig I have had. Price difference isn't that much compared to good solid dynamic rig anyway. 

Agreed, especially if you can manage to get them second hand. An O2 Mk1 and 717 might cost you $2500-2800, which is quite reasonable given the performance they offer.

Apr 18, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #15,407 of 24,807

Quote:
Agreed, especially if you can manage to get them second hand. An O2 Mk1 and 717 might cost you $2500-2800, which is quite reasonable given the performance they offer.

Second hand is always great haha.

Seems to me there are contradictions in logic here though, or to me at any rate.

Just because some people spend X amount of money on a dynamic system does not mean it represents actual performance value. If we assume that stats are fundamentally superior to dynamics it is even less logical to be spending large sums on squeezing the last drop out of an inferior technology such as a dynamic rig.

But then again a lot of our perceptions are projected on to our gear. I have my doubts people could easily distinguish the innate sound characteristics of one transducer type from another in a study. Maybe dynamics vs stats is do able, but throw orthos into the mix and I am sure results would be slightly better than chance if at all. Just depends on how you look at it really, but I would say either view advocates rapid diminishing returns... especially when you consider people are basically just trying different preset EQs that headphones are and could probably save a bundle using an EQ... but then we wouldn't have a hobby. :p

The only real concept of value around here is level of satisfaction, or to me anyways. So to some the omegas are a crazy waste of money for the "advantages" they have, and to others they are the only way to go as they essentially bought their piece of mind. Either way both people are satisfied listening to music even if one spent significantly less than the other. 

That being said, it would be nice if everyone who was going to drop  3k did so on an omega set rather than RCA cables, a tube amp made by someone who didn't make it through EE school, and funny looking pebbles because other people encouraged them to do so.

Apr 18, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #15,408 of 24,807
Diminishing returns is hugely overstated at the pre-stax level if you ask me, and for the most part, I'm easily willing to say that price and performance aren't really consistent.

Talking for headphones at least. Jury is still out on my thoughts for dacs/amps given my lack of experience.

Quote:
The concept of diminishing returns is nothing new.

Apr 18, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #15,409 of 24,807

Quote:
sokolov91 said:

That being said, it would be nice if everyone who was going to drop  3k did so on an omega set rather than RCA cables, a tube amp made by someone who didn't make it through EE school, and funny looking pebbles because other people encouraged them to do so.

So you are saying that you are not inclined to spend $10K samolians on an Apex Pinnacle?
(I like funny looking pebbles and Hello Kitty acoustic wall treatments, but they do cost extra!)
wink_face.gif

Apr 18, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #15,410 of 24,807
It's quite possible to put together a pretty good "working man's" electrostatic system for not much more than a grand. Used Koss ESP950's. DIY amp with 400V rails. "High end" vintage DAC that now sells for 20% of its original price. PC source. Sure, it will be "beaten" by a $10K system, but the difference will be a lot less than you might think. Major "bang for the buck".with a little effort and creativity..

Apr 19, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #15,412 of 24,807
Well, one doesn't have to send a lot of money to get a high end system, although I must admit that I did spend some money on mine. There certainly are all kinds of little tweaks that can be done to improve upon the performance one has with the current system at hand. When you think about it, it all comes down to the source. Some recordings are good and others are just terrible. Dirty electricity also can play a part in producing terrible sound. Every turn along the sound reproduction process has to be to the listeners interest. It is best to proceed slowly and buy pieces one at a time over a course of a long time. One shouldn't be fooled by the latest-greatest new piece of equipment that comes to market right away. Give new pieces time and probably wait at least a year after to then buy them. Many of my pieces were bought used, at a discount but in excellent condition. I never actually thought I would be able to build my system to the level it is at now. I am still using very inexpensive speaker cables, interconnectors, power cords etc. The most important thing to enjoy the music.

Apr 19, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #15,413 of 24,807
I've been lurking here for a while, and have read the last 200 pages of postings in this forum, but I'd like some recent opinions on a couple of pieces of gear.

After using a number of different dynamic headphones (I'm familiar with Alessandro MS-Pro, AKG 701, Sennheiser HD-650, Audez'e LCD-2, and Beyerdynamic T1) just last week I heard Stax for the first time.  I was auditioning amps in a local hi-fi store as possible partners for the Beyerdynamics I have most recently been using, and out of curiosity I listened to a pair of SR-507 with the SRM-600LE amp that was on display.

Blew my mind, and consequently I'm currently auctioning all my current headphones, amps and some other gear so I can go the Stax route.  I can't afford the SR-007 headphones (which I also listened to), but that's OK as I really liked the sound of the SR-507, so they are a definite.

As for the amp, the SRM-600LE sounded very nice indeed, but the SRM-323 that they also had in the shop sounded pretty good with the 507s for a lot less money - I actually thought it had a slightly better grip on the bass. Those are the only Stax amps I've been able to hear, and I'd like opinions as to how other amps sound in comparison.

I'm particularly interested in the Woo GES.  It and the 600LE are at the limit of my budget.  The KGSS might just be possible, but I don't think I could afford it for some time.  My musical tastes encompass contemporary jazz (Nik Bartsch, Terje Rypdal, etc) modern prog (Riverside, Porcupine Tree, etc) electronica (FSOL, Fila Brazillia, etc) jazz/folk (John Martyn, Harry Manx, etc) and chamber music.  I like bass, but tight fast musical bass that drives the music - I'm not a bass-head as such.

I'd prefer an amp rather than an energiser.

Thanks for any opinions.

Apr 19, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #15,414 of 24,807

Quote:
...Blew my mind, and consequently I'm currently auctioning all my current headphones, amps and some other gear so I can go the Stax route.  I can't afford the SR-007 headphones (which I also listened to), but that's OK as I really liked the sound of the SR-507, so they are a definite.

Congrats on discovering electrostatics!

Quote:
I'd like opinions as to how other amps sound in comparison.

I'm particularly interested in the Woo GES.  It and the 600LE are at the limit of my budget.  The KGSS might just be possible, but I don't think I could afford it for some time.  My musical tastes encompass contemporary jazz (Nik Bartsch, Terje Rypdal, etc) modern prog (Riverside, Porcupine Tree, etc) electronica (FSOL, Fila Brazillia, etc) jazz/folk (John Martyn, Harry Manx, etc) and chamber music.  I like bass, but tight fast musical bass that drives the music - I'm not a bass-head as such.

I'd prefer an amp rather than an energiser.

IMHO the GES will serve you better for your jazz, jazz/folk and chamber music than the modern prog (yes, I do share a number of your musical preferences
wink_face.gif
).  I think the modern prog sounds better without tubes in the path but the jazz based stuff works better with them (all MHO).

In your position I'd try and find a secondhand ExStata (Hybrid preferred) and I wouldn't write off an energiser if you have a good speaker amp (that you like the sound of)  to drive it.

Good luck in your journey of electrostatic discovery.

Apr 19, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #15,415 of 24,807
As I noted above... I prefer the 323S to the 007t II with the 507's.  The 323 is a good value and has plenty of power output to drive them well - the combo sounds great with acoustic music of all kinds.  I doubt, you'll find the GES, or KGSS, will produce sound that is significantly better - enough to justify their much higher price.  Unless, you value "nuance."

If you later want some "tube sound" - just get a good tube buffer, for a lot less.

Apr 19, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #15,416 of 24,807

Quote:
In your position I'd try and find a secondhand ExStata (Hybrid preferred) and I wouldn't write off an energiser if you have a good speaker amp (that you like the sound of)  to drive it.

Duly noted - I have a recently acquired Unison Research Unico Secondo hybrid amp for the speakers, which has a second set of dedicated speaker outputs for bi-amping, so an energiser is not out of the question.  My main reason for preferring an amp for the headphones is flexibility in case I decide to move it to my study instead of the lounge.

Hey - you're in Sydney!  What suburb? - I'm in The Glebe. Cheers mate

Apr 20, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #15,417 of 24,807

Quote:
... The 323 is a good value and has plenty of power output to drive them well - the combo sounds great with acoustic music of all kinds.  I doubt, you'll find the GES, or KGSS, will produce sound that is significantly better - enough to justify their much higher price.  Unless, you value "nuance."

Nuance is nice, but finances rule
frown.gif

Thanks for the comments - I had a good feeling about the 507 + 323 combo - good to hear a second opinion.  I think so far that it is my preferred solution.  It also has the bonus that as both the cans and amp are under $1k I don't have to pay import duty on them.  I wouldn't buy Stax retail in Australia - the prices are laughable.  The local hi-fi store is asking $3,999 for the 507 + 600LE combination - and that is a discount from the regular rrp of $4,499!  Remember that at the moment our dollar is worth more than the greenback, and that gives you some idea how badly the local prices are inflated.  The 007 cans and 007 amp are $7,999!!!

Cheers

Apr 20, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #15,418 of 24,807
Yes the prices that that shop charge are a joke. I rang them up one day to price some new headphones and almost fainted when the told me the price. I ended up getting a second hand amp & headphone from Japan through Kuboten for $500 shipped.

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #15,420 of 24,807
I saw some vintage Lambdas that the edge of the leather pad seems to be separated from the plastic grill/cup slightly.  Is that something to avoid? Or that was just normal wear and a new pair of pad can fix that?  Many thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back