The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 14, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #15,392 of 24,807
Will do this and let you know if a toast comes out.

Ahh, that's what I call expert help!

Apr 15, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #15,393 of 24,807
Still no change? Could be that some protection circuit kicked in, because of overheating for example. I've had that happen to my 717. It also cut off sound once when I plugged in my headphones.
The sound would come back after the amp being powered off for a while.

If this is not the case, the amp might me damaged. It seems unlikely that the fuse has blown, because the amp still powers up, doesn't it?

Apr 15, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #15,394 of 24,807
Positive Feedback reviews the WES and SR-507: http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue54/woo_audio.htm

"This was one of those rare listening experiences that we have all lived through. Within just a few minutes of music, I could tell that I was gonna be in for a long dramatic sleigh ride of ecstasy (I am in the Chicago area after all. Yep, I just love the snow and winters here). Despite my extreme enthusiasm for my HD800 and WA22 system with upgraded headphone cables, I was now entering a new frontier.

With the WES, I was hearing spatial queues and performance nuances that I had never experienced before. Recordings that I have listened to for many years now seemed newly inspirational. Inevitably, when you crank up the detail and speed of a system, there's a good chance that you will also increase the level of listener fatigue. Nothing could be further from the truth with the WES. Proper timbre and weight were still spot on despite the rush of information. Mid range vocals and instruments were still rich and creamy, but with more inner detail. Highs had the correct amount of sizzle and splash. Cymbals had a more realistic balance of metal and sheen. Transparency was the best I have heard on any system. Please note, this is quite a statement considering my 40 plus years on this roller coaster ride."

Once you go STAX...
o2smile.gif

Apr 15, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #15,395 of 24,807
Bingo! It's working just fine tonight!! My guess is that my daughter must have switched it off and on while the pot was maxed out, which it did not like. Then, I must not have turned off the amp long enough last night when I tried to make it work again...

That's a relief to hear this is normal operation for the amp! The documentation I have is in Japanese so I can't figure this stuff out...

Thanks for your response!

arnaud

Quote:
Still no change? Could be that some protection circuit kicked in, because of overheating for example. I've had that happen to my 717. It also cut off sound once when I plugged in my headphones.
The sound would come back after the amp being powered off for a while.

If this is not the case, the amp might me damaged. It seems unlikely that the fuse has blown, because the amp still powers up, doesn't it?

Apr 15, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #15,396 of 24,807

Quote:
Bingo! It's working just fine tonight!! My guess is that my daughter must have switched it off and on while the pot was maxed out, which it did not like. Then, I must not have turned off the amp long enough last night when I tried to make it work again...

That's a relief to hear this is normal operation for the amp! The documentation I have is in Japanese so I can't figure this stuff out...

Thanks for your response!

arnaud

It may be time to open the unit up and clean the dust out to prevent overheating.

Apr 16, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #15,398 of 24,807
Update on the custom tips for the 001s/003s.  My second set of tips came in but I missed the call so I can't pick them up until Monday.  If these don't work, I'm switching having the tips done for the Denon C-710s and I'll have to make a custom headband for the 001s and use the stock donuts.  Fingers crossed. 

Apr 17, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #15,399 of 24,807
updated the impressions on SR-507 http://www.head-fi.org/products/stax-sr-507-electrostatic-earspeaker/reviews/4453 :frowning2: the note about bass makes me a bit sad, but I suppose, we can't have clear mids and deep/ample lower end especially in open headphones :D ? Maybe it's to do with me using a crappy NOS dac, since MD11 has DC on line out and D100 is packed up/NFB-10WM is in transit, but still...

Apr 18, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #15,402 of 24,807

Quote:
Quote:
You can, by going the Omega + BHSE route.
wink.gif

is that about $5k or 6k or 7k
biggrin.gif
?
A good rule with HP might be not buying them when the cost is > a car that's under 100k and not falling apart
biggrin.gif

And... here's yet another, though similar, perspective from Lunatique, comparing the O2's to more "mundane" (though certainly great) phones:   

"This (the O2's + 717) was a luxury purchase not fueled by practical concerns, and that’s how I’m going to enjoy the 007mk2–as a subjective and uniquely pleasurable experience apart from the familiar dynamic headphones sound. Tragically, the previous bad choice of comparing the D7000 to the 007mk2 caused my initial impression of the 007mk2 to be overly positive, and now when comparing the Stax rig to my other headphones, the Stax’s superiority isn’t nearly as significant or even objectively evident, which diminishes what should have been an ecstatic experience of finally owning the 007mk2. Sure, it is very refined and classy, with delicacy and elegance unlike any other headphone I’ve ever heard, and the only one I’d use the word “ethereal” to describe, but in some ways I wonder if at over $3,000 the Stax rig is worth keeping."  (see:  http://www.head-fi.org/products/stax-sr-007-mk2/reviews  for full review)

My experience was similar (O2's + 007t II)... because their sound was only a "wee bit" better in a few respects than my other phones... I just couldn't justify the "high cost" of achieving that "wee bit" better sound... much less... investing $7K+ in any headphone setup to achieve their optimum sound.  Some who may place a high value on "nuance" may find some way to "justify" their significant investment in O2 setups - while many others would not. 

Though... I would acknowledge.. the SR-507 + SRM-323S combo... is certainly a great sounding combo... which is very price competitive with my dynamic rigs - and a much harder choice.    

Apr 18, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #15,403 of 24,807

True, but many spend thousands on dynamic headphones setups, which makes even less "sense" in my opinion. My recommendation would be to buy a good Stax setup if you're going to blow that kind of money on a headphones setup.

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #15,405 of 24,807
I would still keep my O2 + 717 rig over any other dynamic/ortho rig I have had. Price difference isn't that much compared to good solid dynamic rig anyway. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back