Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Stax SR-007 Mk2 › Stax SR-007 Mk2 Reviews

Stax SR-007 Mk2 Reviews

Kiats

Easier To Love

Pros: Organic signature; More forgiving; Transparent & Detailed; Excellent Soundstage

Cons: Can be difficult to drive

I am a relative novice in the world of Stax. However, after almost a year of bliss, I have decided that I have heard enough to offer some impressions of some of the Stax cans I own. I have done a review of the Stax SR L700 as well as the top notch but fussy SR-009. I thought I would finish up my series of reviews by setting down my experience of the previous Stax flagship, the well-loved but slightly divisive SR-007.   Whenever and wherever there is a discussion on the Stax SR-007, there will be a divide between proponents of the much cherished MK1 and the current production MK2. Of course, the divide is really premised on slightly different tuning of the two versions. I have no...
Lunatique

Ethereal, classy, elegant, and refined

Pros: Delicate, full-bodied, refined, detailed, non-fatiguing, very comfortable

Cons: Expensive, needs dedicated amp (also expensive), less sense of gravity than dynamic headphones

(The following is a completely rewritten review dated October 24, 2010, and replaces the previous one written back on May 30, 2010)   I’ve been hearing about electrostatic headphones for a while now, and they are usually spoken about with reverence since some of the finest and most expensive headphones ever made were elecstrostatic. Stax is currently the king of electrostatic headphones, and the SR-007mk2 is their flagship product. It’s also known as the Omega 2 mk2, or O2 mk2. The Omega name comes from the first generation of the model due to the circular shape of the driver housing, which was a departure from Stax’s previous rectangular designs. Then there was the Omega 2,...