The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Dec 23, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #602 of 1,909
  The shipping delays are for the Modi 2 Uber only, right?  The Magni 2 and Magni 2 Uber are in stock and shipping.  Do I have that right?

i believe that is correct

Dec 24, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #603 of 1,909
beyersmile.png
Just had to grab both uber set. 
Anyways this is my first time trying amp and dac wanted to know what kind of cables you would need for this.
I will only be using it on my laptop and phone samsung note 3.
Can you guys show me what kind of cables and where to plug in?

Thanks.

Dec 24, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #604 of 1,909
Tchaikovsky

Ignore the Digital Cannons warning and crank it! :wink:

Ummm...Digital-ly recorded REAL cannons -- which back in the late 70's was one of the first DDD recordings to do so. It was one of the go-to demo disks at premium audio stores due to its dynamic range.

Thanks for the link; always interested in good music -- especially well-recorded. While I'm sure it's a good for an Analog recording made in the 1950's (digitally remastered), I'm guessing the dynamic range is fairly limited. FWIW, dynamic range on Digital can be 90 to 95 db...on Analog roughly 60 to 70 db

Quite honestly, other than being a test for a system (especially your subwoofers), not that inspired by this piece. Really not much of a Tchaikovsky fan in general; especially the 'over' played 1812 Overture.

That said, I do like Capriccio Italien.

For an old time verison (1950's) I'd go with George Szell and the Cleveland Orchestra.
http://www.amazon.com/Tchaikovsky-Symphony-Capriccio-Italien-Szell/dp/B000F6YW26

For a new version, I like this one by Neeme Jarvi and the Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra
http://www.amazon.com/Tchaikovsky-Symphony-Capriccio-Italien-Voyevoda/dp/B0007XTMKE

Dec 24, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #605 of 1,909

beyersmile.png
Just had to grab both uber set. 
Anyways this is my first time trying amp and dac wanted to know what kind of cables you would need for this.
I will only be using it on my laptop and phone samsung note 3.
Can you guys show me what kind of cables and where to plug in?

Thanks.

For the phone you will need a USB OTG Cable, Micro-B Male connects to the phone the other end (USB Type A) female will require another USB Type A cable to plug into the USB Powered Hub you will have to get. The Hub connects to the DAC and usually comes with a Type A USB Cable. You will need RAC cables to go from the DAC to the Amp. Schiit recommends the below DAC, I got it and it works fine, I like the power switch,
http://www.amazon.com/Gear-Head-4-Port-Powered-UH5500ESP/dp/B004OBZ088/

You can find info on the below link from Schiit's website, which includes the whole story and links to getting all of the cables.
http://schiit.com/guides/getting-connected

By the way, the Note 3 (which I have) does not require any special software to play music files. The guide on the Schiit site recommends special software, USB Player Pro, you won't need this as any music player will work with the Note3.

Dec 24, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #611 of 1,909
I'm betting this thread would know...

Would it be worth using a Modi 2 with a macbook pro retina (2012)? And should it be the optical version? I've heard the MBP actually has a decent DAC, but it's the only part of the chain I haven't tinkered with yet. I've just been using the headphone out to an amp.

lossless -> audirvana -> [DAC] -> project polaris -> he-400i -> brain

Opinions welcome! Thx.

Dec 24, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #612 of 1,909
5m or 2,5m doesn't make any difference as long as the speed is as it should be so that the digital data will be delivered. But yes, signal degradation is a possibility which is why I bought the Audioquest so there is no signal loss and therefore no difference between a 2.5m or 5m cable. 

EDIT: At least, that's what I think 
biggrin.gif

Dec 24, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #614 of 1,909
  I'm betting this thread would know...

Would it be worth using a Modi 2 with a macbook pro retina (2012)? And should it be the optical version? I've heard the MBP actually has a decent DAC, but it's the only part of the chain I haven't tinkered with yet. I've just been using the headphone out to an amp.

lossless -> audirvana -> [DAC] -> project polaris -> he-400i -> brain

Opinions welcome! Thx.

Yes, it's worth it. It's better than the DAC of the MBP. Don't know if USB or Optical is best. I always use USB because it's easier for me. 

Dec 24, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #615 of 1,909
  Yes, it's worth it. It's better than the DAC of the MBP. Don't know if USB or Optical is best. I always use USB because it's easier for me. 

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, at a $100, it seems silly not to just try anyway (now that I'm this far into this project - thanks HeadFi). Are you using Modi USB with MBP? Does it work up to 24/192? I don't have a lot in my collection at that resolution, but I'm working on it.

I guess the main reason I'm looking at optical is that it would leave both USB ports available on the laptop. Oh, and it seems possibly more hassle-free for the higher resolutions. (Really not sure about that.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back