The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Dec 22, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #571 of 1,909

Schiit has definitely improved the quality of the Magni2 & Magni2Uber volume pots and the low level channel balance now stays pretty well centered all the way down to inaudibility. 

Ain't progress great?

Dec 23, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #573 of 1,909
I'm new with headphones so I thought I'd start with inexpensive gears.  I just received last weekend my Modi2/Vali and I love the smooth yet clear and detailed sound coming from this combo.  They made my inexpensive Onkyo headphone sound really nice compared to the other solid state DAC that I was using.  I thought I'd need a more expensive headphone but I'm happy with this for the moment.  Thanks to the Schiit combo.

Dec 23, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #574 of 1,909
  My Magni 2 Uber arrived today. Perhaps too early for impressions, but I sense a larger soundstage and a notably lower noise floor.

Got my Magni 2 Uber today as well and I echo this sentiment (after about an hour of listening).

Dec 23, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #576 of 1,909
  Grabbing Modi 2 uber and magni 2.  In my view, it wasn't worth to get magni uber for extra pre amp.

As long as you can stand looking at two different exterior finishes 
redface.gif

Dec 23, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #577 of 1,909
As far as I know, the only difference between Modi's 1 and 2 is the switch, which allows drivers to bump up the USB performance to 24/192 (without dirvers, both are plug-n-play via USB up to 24/96). The Uber Modi might sound a bit better via USB because it is AC powered, but I wouldn't try to sell one based on that. The Uber models biggest appeal is having multiple inputs, while all other Modi's are restricted to USB OR optical.

As for Magni vs. Vali, Vali has tubes, and HD600 owners tend to prefer tube amps. That being said, I still like my Magni with my 600's. Vali would be a good choice if you wanted a taste of tubes without spending $350 for Valhalla (a "real" tube amp), but Magni might be the only amp you ever need, and it can power just about anything.

Lastly, skip Loki. Unless you know what DSD is...AND you are interested in DSD...AND you already have music in the format.

I really like my Loki, a LOT. And yes, I am interest and I have a fair amount of DSD. If you haven't heard him, he is quite amazing sounding run through a formerly SOTA Conrad-Johnson (CT-5/LP-70S) all-tube 2 channel loudspeaker system. 

Dec 23, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #579 of 1,909
Pandastyle, is it too much to ask if you can post up a few pictures of the front and back when it comes in? I just wanted to see how the build quality is like for the newer stuff. I ordered a Bifrost (non-Uber) a few weeks back and had a few build quality issues. Thanks.

Dec 23, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #580 of 1,909
Really? The Bifrost draws power over USB, rather than using its internal power supply? I know the Modi works that way, but I would have thought the Bifrost could work standalone.

I have my BIFROST Über connected in my main 2 channel system and use only the coaxial and toslink inputs so the Bifrost receives its power from the standard 110V plug. I have the original MODI & MAGNI on my iMac where the Modi is connected via USB. The USB provides both signal and power. When I turn off the computer the Modi turns off as well.

I don't have hubs or Wyrd or anything else connected to any of my Schiit gear and everything works fine.

Dec 23, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #582 of 1,909
I have my BIFROST Über connected in my main 2 channel system and use only the coaxial and toslink inputs so the Bifrost receives its power from the standard 110V plug. I have the original MODI & MAGNI on my iMac where the Modi is connected via USB. The USB provides both signal and power. When I turn off the computer the Modi turns off as well.

I don't have hubs or Wyrd or anything else connected to any of my Schiit gear and everything works fine.

im new to this whole dac/amp world. i have fiio e10k and i just purchased magni 2 uber. on fiio e10k there's a mini-usb port, coaxial out, and line out.
i learned that line out is where i should plug my magni 2 uber. and mini-usb port is what im using to bypass the PC dac/amp.

what's the coaxial out for, what cable should i use, and what's the diff. between that and USB also line-out?

Dec 23, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #583 of 1,909

I think what is being said is that if you used the Bifrost or Modi 2 Uber through USB, the DACs would use USB power and not wall-wart power. The 110v plug only powers the coax and toslink inputs. This is just what I'm gathering though, could be wrong.

Dec 23, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #584 of 1,909

I think what is being said is that if you used the Bifrost or Modi 2 Uber through USB, the DACs would use USB power and not wall-wart power. The 110v plug only powers the coax and toslink inputs. This is just what I'm gathering though, could be wrong.

The AC power supply will also power the analog output section, which should help to improve the sound quality over USB-only power.

Dec 23, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #585 of 1,909
Anyone who ordered a Modi 2 Uber on the 15th, 16th, or 17th get a shipping notification yet?  It looks like they are getting backed up and just changed their website to reflect that:

Modi 2 Uber in production. Orders placed now are expected to ship as Modi 2 Ubers become available. Orders placed now will ship in 10 - 15 business days

I order first thing Wednesday morning...back when it said 6-8 business days.  Not counting Christmas Day, I'm expecting a shipment notification tomorrow, Friday, or Monday at the latest.  Crossing my fingers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back