The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Dec 24, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #616 of 1,909

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, at a $100, it seems silly not to just try anyway (now that I'm this far into this project - thanks HeadFi). Are you using Modi USB with MBP? Does it work up to 24/192? I don't have a lot in my collection at that resolution, but I'm working on it.

I guess the main reason I'm looking at optical is that it would leave both USB ports available on the laptop. Oh, and it seems possibly more hassle-free for the higher resolutions. (Really not sure about that.)

No right now I have the iFi Nano IDSD as a DAC but I did own the Modi (first edition) before. It's a clear step above the MBP DAC. The Modi 2 will be able to do 24/192. You can upsample 16/44.1 files if you would want to. 

Dec 24, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #617 of 1,909
  No right now I have the iFi Nano IDSD as a DAC but I did own the Modi (first edition) before. It's a clear step above the MBP DAC. The Modi 2 will be able to do 24/192. You can upsample 16/44.1 files if you would want to. 

Well, I just thought of another important consideration (to me) -- If I'm using any filters in Audirvana (eq, crossfeed) or even just eq in itunes, will those be passed to the DAC in optical and/or USB models of the Modi?

Seems like I've read something about that, somewhere. I'll have to look again...

Dec 24, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #618 of 1,909
Well, I just thought of another important consideration (to me) -- If I'm using any filters in Audirvana (eq, crossfeed) or even just eq in itunes, will those be passed to the DAC in optical and/or USB models of the Modi?

Seems like I've read something about that, somewhere. I'll have to look again...

Yes, I use Audirvana myself and have used eq in the past. It works.

Dec 24, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #619 of 1,909

Yeah JRiver's EQ definitely passes on through my Modi

Dec 24, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #620 of 1,909
Well, as much as i bate this, i will have to ask again. Say i have a xonar dx (which i heard has a pretty good dac) do i need am external dac? I was planning to either buy asgard 2 or Magni/Modo 2, but i don't know what to buy

Dec 24, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #621 of 1,909
  Yes, it's worth it. It's better than the DAC of the MBP. Don't know if USB or Optical is best. I always use USB because it's easier for me. 

I'm betting this thread would know...

Would it be worth using a Modi 2 with a macbook pro retina (2012)? And should it be the optical version? I've heard the MBP actually has a decent DAC, but it's the only part of the chain I haven't tinkered with yet. I've just been using the headphone out to an amp.

lossless -> audirvana -> [DAC] -> project polaris -> he-400i -> brain

Opinions welcome! Thx.

Interesting to hear, I have a 2014 MBP and a Leckerton UHA 6S II - I can’t hear a difference with the DAC at all...  I’m interested in some Schiit gear, but I’m not sure if I’ll hear a difference there, either...

Dec 24, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #622 of 1,909

Interesting to hear, I have a 2014 MBP and a Leckerton UHA 6S II - I can’t hear a difference with the DAC at all...  I’m interested in some Schiit gear, but I’m not sure if I’ll hear a difference there, either...

The DAC in the Leckerton isn't too great from what I've read. I'd be surprised if you didn't hear a difference between Modi and MBP :)

Dec 24, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #623 of 1,909
  The DAC in the Leckerton isn't too great from what I've read. I'd be surprised if you didn't hear a difference between Modi and MBP :)

OK, I use the Leckerton basically as an on-the-fly volume control, for when I’m working.  I think I’ve heard some people say that the amplifier section is better than the DAC...
Anyway, it’ll be interesting for me to compare a Modi/Magni combo to what I have now...

Dec 24, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #624 of 1,909
I hope i dont regret getting the uber modi when it arrives. So far i dony have any issues with the sound from streaming or video games for the most part being connected to the headphone jack on the front of my pc.

Dec 24, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #625 of 1,909
I hope i dont regret getting the uber modi when it arrives. So far i dony have any issues with the sound from streaming or video games for the most part being connected to the headphone jack on the front of my pc.

did you get magni 2 uber too? i think if you experience no issue from your PC, amp probably gives you discernable improvement than dac

except if you have noisy dac/amp from your motherboard, then better dac will help.

Dec 24, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #626 of 1,909

Amping the signal from your PC may produce some noise, especially at higher volumes, try it when you can. Modi, from what I've heard, is a very clean DAC

Dec 24, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #627 of 1,909

if you're using onboard sound, you'll almost definitely hear a difference. onboard sound sucks 95/100 times.

Dec 24, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #630 of 1,909
  Still waiting on the uber schitt stack to arrive.

Are you feeling impatient? Just a wee little? Just remember, good things come to those who wait, luckily with Schiit one usually doesn't have to wait for long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back