The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Jul 5, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #2,491 of 2,849
Hallo to everyone,
I've decided to write again about Panasonic htf600 after the the burning time.
I want elucidate you about these headphones.
I use them with Ipod shuffle 4gen + Fiio E6 (without bass boost) and with Kenwood Ka8100 dual mono + Cambridge Audio Azur 340c.
I prefer my Hi-fi but the Ipod + fiio E6 is not a bad setup.
The sound is not stressful.Never!It's warm but not dark. Obviously it depends on the recording quality. I usually use for listening test:

On every street - Dire straits
Back in black - AC/DC
Unplugged - Eric Clapton
1812 - Tchaikovsky
Step - Pat Coil
Morph the cat - Donald Fagen

With these albums I've never felt Pans sounding dark. Both with Hi-fi and Ipod.
Highs are rounded and sweet.
These headphones are not airy and detailed as Superlux HD668b but the stereo effect and the reverb are very good. HD668b could be also fatiguing for long listening especially if they are plug into a cold source. HD668b need for a bass-boost!
However with Pans you can feel clearly the place in wich artists are playing and the distance between instruments.
The soundstage is good but not too big as HD668b.
I would like to clarify that HD668b are great headphones for the price but I prefer them for classical music and jazz because acoustic
instruments are reproduced by Superlux with great detail, clarity and with a correct dimension.
In fact electric basses and electric guitars are more big,warm and full then in HD668b. Pans are really good for rock and electronic
music but they are very good also for jazz.
Mids are very well represented when the recording is not V shape!They are warm and very well balanced with trebles.
String instruments both acoustics and electrics and snare drums are really good and clear.
Now I must tell you about "the bone of contention" of these headphones: The Bass
Someone says that the bass is exaggerated, someone that it is ok.
Sensation that I've felt is that these Pans have very correct basses and really coherent with the recording.
Basses are really rocky, solid and precise, better than a subwoofer beacuse the subwoofer is often boomy.
Basses enter in action when it's necessary and mid-basses are not overlying and rumbling.
This is my opinion because I'm a semi-basshead. I like rocky and precise basses!
Unfortunately I must say at the end that Pans are not Hi-End headphones because they have solid basses and they are a little bit lack in micro details that characterize more expensive headphones in the market but I mean headphones costing 500€ and more!!
These pans can fight against headphones costing between 5 and 10 times their price!
The same is true also for Superlux HD668b!!
About the basses the problem is that today Hi-End means NO BASS but this is a wrong rule! This is also the instrument for famous brands to produce with low costs LOW-END headphones without basses and marketing them as Hi-end headphones.
Basses are the rythm of the music and it's not necessary spending a fortune to listen also flies in the recording thinking to make an Hi-End listening!

Good listening to everyone

Domenico from Italy

Jul 9, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #2,492 of 2,849
I ran into this thread while reading MalVeauX Sony XB500 review.
So I bought one. Hope it's good. I was looking for a bass heavy headphone, and the hype in this thread convinced me.

Dsnuts, if you're still reading this thread, can you tell me how it compares to the HDJ500??

Jul 9, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #2,493 of 2,849
The HDJ500 are more DJ oriented closed can. They literally sound like a club in your head. Great bass. One of the best and competes well with the Ultrasone HFI-580 in both sound and bass.  They have a great clean sound and extend very well on both ends of the spectrum and have better mids that one would assume being a Pioneer sound.

The HTF600 are a good starting point for trying out cans as they have a solid sound that is not common for a can at this price and yes the bass is very nice for their price. Give them a go and make sure you burn them in for a good 50 hours or so as the drivers need it.

Jul 9, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #2,494 of 2,849
Quote:
The HDJ500 are more DJ oriented closed can. They literally sound like a club in your head. Great bass. One of the best and competes well with the Ultrasone HFI-580 in both sound and bass.  They have a great clean sound and extend very well on both ends of the spectrum and have better mids that one would assume being a Pioneer sound.

The HTF600 are a good starting point for trying out cans as they have a solid sound that is not common for a can at this price and yes the bass is very nice for their price. Give them a go and make sure you burn them in for a good 50 hours or so as the drivers need it.

Thanks for the quick response.
I was looking for something that packs the same punch as the HDJ500 (not sound the same), so I hope this Panasonic can do that.
I almost went with the beyerdynamic DT 440 instead.
I'm still not sure if I made the right decision, guess I'll find out when I get the  HTF600 in a few days

If I don't like it, it'll still be a nice $30 gift for someone.

Jul 9, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #2,495 of 2,849

So the hdj500s have bass close to the hfi580s?

Jul 9, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #2,496 of 2,849
Its been a while since I have listened to both of them but if my memory serves me correct the HDJ500 has the better sub bass out of the 2 and mid bass is very similar in quantity. The Bass end on the HDJ500s are awesome actually..There is so many solid headphones at the cost of a HDJ500 they are overlooked unfortunately.

Jul 10, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #2,497 of 2,849
Anyone know if the EDT 250 pads is just for comfort, or does it help improve the sound of the HTF600.
NVM, I just saw the review on the pads effect
@ $23 it cost almost as much as the headphones

Jul 11, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #2,498 of 2,849
@DSnuts
how would you compare (sound overall) panasonic htf600 and hfi580 ?
Who has got better bass/mids/highs?
I m thniking that if ultrasone has better vocals/mids/ i might purchase them..Have you heard both?

Jul 11, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #2,499 of 2,849
I own both. Ya the Ultrasones are a solid tier level above the HTF600 in sound a nice upgrade. Bass wise the ultrasone has more impact and sub bass. Overall an upgrade in SQ but they better be for being much more expensive right? Great for EDM and Hiphop. Clarity and detail wise the Ultrasones are also an upgrade.

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #2,500 of 2,849
On the Pannies, I've heard issues about the driver getting stuck and having to get 'popped' out. Also the jack/cord on these are supposed to be poor quality and break a lot. Does this happen frequently or is it only on some unlucky pannies?

Jul 15, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #2,501 of 2,849
Don't know about the Jack n cord. I haven't seen too many guys with issues if any. The driver popping seems to be more of an issue.But for the most part they seem to be alright there are a few unlucky guys that have that problem it seems.

Jul 15, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #2,502 of 2,849
Yep... The two I have does not experience any of those... but I'm also pretty careful with my cans and I don't transport them a lot...

Jul 15, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #2,503 of 2,849
Quote:
Yep... The two I have does not experience any of those... but I'm also pretty careful with my cans and I don't transport them a lot...

Mine would most likely break from me stepping on the cable causing the plug to be yanked out of the jack (I've done this to two pair of headphones). I just broke my Superlux because I wasn't careful enough opening them up to mod them.

I have these really comfortable pleather ear cushions that fit the 681's. They are circular but do you think I could stretch them to make them fit the Pannies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back