The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Jun 27, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #2,476 of 2,849
Preface:
I am writing my thoughts for a second time in a row because my page timed out ;( OMG, now I am editing it from my phone. Work computer not letting me edit. The headphones I base my opinions are with the headphones I have the most experience with. VModa Crossfade LPs, Sony MDR-V6, Audio Technica AD500s.

Comfort/Bass/Mids:
I ordered these based on the recommendations in this thread. I have had them for over a month now. My initial impressions were they sounded great, they were lightweight, I loved the semi open design, but they got increadibly hot and uncomfortable in as little as 10-15 minutes. So I replaced the pads with the stock pads from my Sony MDR-V6, and they got increadibly more comfortable. Now to explain why I love the semi open design so much. I feel the soundstage is definately wider than my closed headphones, I get a little airflow that makes these more comfortable, and I still get a respectable amount of bass. The bass is not as powerful as I am use to with my closed headphones, but on some songs it will go really low and vibrate with some power. I wouldn't call this a negative thing, it is just different. Reguardless of the bass being different, it is still very nice and better than the open headphones I have tried. The mids are very pronounced and bring out details in music that I cannot hear in my bass heavy closed headphones. I have to explain an issue I encountered before I can explain what I think about the highs.

Highs/Amp impression:
I use a Xonar DG soundcard with the built in headphone amp. It has 3 different settings for the power of the amp. With all my other headphones I use "exciter" mode, which is made for 64 Ohm+ headphones, produces the most volume, and brightens the music. With these headphones exciter mode makes the highs really harsh to my ears. As I understand the term harsh, it means the highs are too pronounced. They almost make me squint a little when they pierce my ears with even fairly moderate volume. So I turn the amp power down to the middle setting, which I believe is to be used in headphones from 32-64 Ohms. The highs no longer make me cringe and sound very nice. The only issue with this is, at max volume, I only get maybe 95% of what I would like my max volume to be. It still gets loud enough for all but my drunkest of times when I just want to crank it to 11 and enjoy the sound.

Recommendation:
Yes I absolutely recommend these headphones. I love them, they are my main headphones now. With that generic blanket statement there are a two caveats I would like to add. These headphones are not for those who want 100% sealed sound, so if you take a bus or train to work or something like that people around you will hear your sound a little and you will hear whats going on around you a little. This was a non issue for me, because I use them in my computer room far away from my family. I would also highly recommend replacing the pads. The stock ones got really hot extremely fast for me which made them very uncomfortable. As I said, I am using stock MDR-V6 pads for now, but I am going to look into the velour pads everyone is recommending.

Conclusion:
Go me! Long time lurker here at headfi, this is my first contribution to the community. Just wanted to say thanks for such a great place.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #2,477 of 2,849
Yup. These are great for gaming actually! COD:MW3 sounds great on these over a pair of crappy Creative Labs ones I'd been using for years. A lot more detail and articulation than the CL's overbloated midrange with no lows/highs.

Jun 27, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #2,478 of 2,849
Hi, I'm Domenico from Italy. I'm new here! I write for the first time!

I've received Panasonic HTF600 today. Now I'm listening Pans with a Cambridge Audio azur340c (wolfson DAC) and a Kenwood

ka8100 dual mono (1978). I'm trying them with jazz, rock and blues.

I'm not a basshead, I'm a Hi-end listener.

Headphones are really great, not only for the price (only 29€ including shipping).

They are comfortable and light at first.

With my audio system the sound is wonderful, smooth, precise, detailed, not fatiguing, nothing is recessed, great soundstage. The bass

is really precise and strong!

I'm not exaggerating! Belive me!

I suggest to try Pans before spendig much money as I've done in the past.

I bought the AKG K530 LTD two years ago. I spent 130€. A great disappointment!

When I bought in December Superlux 668b and the fiio E6 I understood that with less then 1/2 of the price spent for AKG I got a quality

3 times higher.

I could also explane you why but I will not bore you. I talk because I've heard differences.

At the end of my consideration about Panasonic htf600 I would suggest you to pay attention about the hardware that you use to test

an headphone. A part from the sensitivity of each of us to frequencies, results of a test could be very different depending on the

amplifier and the source used.

So do not give hasty judgments! Today the brand is not everything (I'm not against famous brands
smily_headphones1.gif
)

greetings to all from Italy

Domenico

Jun 28, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #2,479 of 2,849
Quote:
Preface:
I am writing my thoughts for a second time in a row because my page timed out ;( OMG, now I am editing it from my phone. Work computer not letting me edit. The headphones I base my opinions are with the headphones I have the most experience with. VModa Crossfade LPs, Sony MDR-V6, Audio Technica AD500s.
Comfort/Bass/Mids:
I ordered these based on the recommendations in this thread. I have had them for over a month now. My initial impressions were they sounded great, they were lightweight, I loved the semi open design, but they got increadibly hot and uncomfortable in as little as 10-15 minutes. So I replaced the pads with the stock pads from my Sony MDR-V6, and they got increadibly more comfortable. Now to explain why I love the semi open design so much. I feel the soundstage is definately wider than my closed headphones, I get a little airflow that makes these more comfortable, and I still get a respectable amount of bass. The bass is not as powerful as I am use to with my closed headphones, but on some songs it will go really low and vibrate with some power. I wouldn't call this a negative thing, it is just different. Reguardless of the bass being different, it is still very nice and better than the open headphones I have tried. The mids are very pronounced and bring out details in music that I cannot hear in my bass heavy closed headphones. I have to explain an issue I encountered before I can explain what I think about the highs.
Highs/Amp impression:
I use a Xonar DG soundcard with the built in headphone amp. It has 3 different settings for the power of the amp. With all my other headphones I use "exciter" mode, which is made for 64 Ohm+ headphones, produces the most volume, and brightens the music. With these headphones exciter mode makes the highs really harsh to my ears. As I understand the term harsh, it means the highs are too pronounced. They almost make me squint a little when they pierce my ears with even fairly moderate volume. So I turn the amp power down to the middle setting, which I believe is to be used in headphones from 32-64 Ohms. The highs no longer make me cringe and sound very nice. The only issue with this is, at max volume, I only get maybe 95% of what I would like my max volume to be. It still gets loud enough for all but my drunkest of times when I just want to crank it to 11 and enjoy the sound.
Recommendation:
Yes I absolutely recommend these headphones. I love them, they are my main headphones now. With that generic blanket statement there are a two caveats I would like to add. These headphones are not for those who want 100% sealed sound, so if you take a bus or train to work or something like that people around you will hear your sound a little and you will hear whats going on around you a little. This was a non issue for me, because I use them in my computer room far away from my family. I would also highly recommend replacing the pads. The stock ones got really hot extremely fast for me which made them very uncomfortable. As I said, I am using stock MDR-V6 pads for now, but I am going to look into the velour pads everyone is recommending.
Conclusion:
Go me! Long time lurker here at headfi, this is my first contribution to the community. Just wanted to say thanks for such a great place.

Thanks for the contribution. I am always interested in hearing new opinions on these. To me their greatest asset is the soundstage. Nice and wide. They are not analytical in any sense but they sure are fun to listen too.I keep alternating between these and my JVC Rx700s. If I want more detail, I go with the JVCs but sometimes I crave that wide soundstage and go with the 600s. Great having both.

Jul 3, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #2,480 of 2,849
Hello again to the community..
Im back and i want to upgrade to something better..The main problem (IMHO) for this headphone is mids/higs..And especially mids..I think that sometimes vocals sound muddy , and not clear..The second (less important for me) is isolation. Im thinking buying Ultasone DJ1..Will i loose the (good amount of ) bass of htf 600? I should cerntainly gain more for mids/higs and isolation right? I request clarity , clear vocals,and instruments..

Sorry ,  but my english are a bit bad..

Jul 3, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #2,481 of 2,849
For me M-Audio Q40 was the step-up in quality from HTF600 in these aspects over HTF600:

- Clearer and more neutral midrange but equally forward as HTF600 (HTF600 can be slightly excessive smooth/warm at times in the vocals depending on recording)
- Much better bass response quality; slightly stronger but better textured, controlled bass with significantly better extension and it doesn't bleed into mids any noticable amount, was a little noticable with HTF600
- Highs have better resolution (could be slightly grainy on HTF600)
- Transparency is slightly better

But it has not quite as good soundstage as HTF600 due to the very semi-open/almost open design but it offers noticably more isolation. Anyway soundstage can be fixed with my custom dolby headphone config at which Q40 gets a better soundstage than HTF600 can get on its own already without using this config:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/555263/foobar2000-dolby-headphone-config-comment-discuss/435#post_8500988

:D

Jul 3, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #2,482 of 2,849
These panasonic in durability such are they?

For PC games (preferably FPS Games), which is better?

HTF600 + Beyerdynamic EDT 250 Velour Pads or Samson SR850  + Beyerdynamic EDT 770 V Replacement Ear Pads? 

Or is it better to put a little more and buy the Creative Aurvana Live!

I am looking for ones that are comfortable and durable, because I'm from Venezuela and I have to import them, thanks ...

Jul 3, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #2,483 of 2,849
Quote:
Hello again to the community..
Im back and i want to upgrade to something better..The main problem (IMHO) for this headphone is mids/higs..And especially mids..I think that sometimes vocals sound muddy , and not clear..The second (less important for me) is isolation. Im thinking buying Ultasone DJ1..Will i loose the (good amount of ) bass of htf 600? I should cerntainly gain more for mids/higs and isolation right? I request clarity , clear vocals,and instruments..

Sorry ,  but my english are a bit bad..

Some users here have suggested removing the foam that covers the drivers. That may bring the clarity you want. I never tried it but I have with some of my other pairs and it does help but at the cost of less bass impact.

Jul 4, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #2,484 of 2,849
Quote:
These panasonic in durability such are they?

For PC games (preferably FPS Games), which is better?

HTF600 + Beyerdynamic EDT 250 Velour Pads or Samson SR850  + Beyerdynamic EDT 770 V Replacement Ear Pads? 

Or is it better to put a little more and buy the Creative Aurvana Live!

I am looking for ones that are comfortable and durable, because I'm from Venezuela and I have to import them, thanks ...

i have the CAL (creative aurvana live) and sound is amzing for the price i pay, great soundstage. the problem is that CAL dont isolate anything they are classified as closed (i think) but have 0 isolation, like a open headphone. 

because i play a lot of game with CAL and my pc is near me i can ear the pc fans at low volume and that break a lot the immersion. i was think sell my CAL to buy the panasonic h600. anyone have try both? how much better is the isolation of panasonic compares with CAL? i dont need anything that isolate a crazy amount of noise (my pc dont do much noise) 

Jul 5, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #2,488 of 2,849
And from Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 and Creative Aurvana Live, which is best buy just to play? cost the same on amazon ...

Quote:
i have the CAL (creative aurvana live) and sound is amzing for the price i pay, great soundstage. the problem is that CAL dont isolate anything they are classified as closed (i think) but have 0 isolation, like a open headphone. 

because i play a lot of game with CAL and my pc is near me i can ear the pc fans at low volume and that break a lot the immersion. i was think sell my CAL to buy the panasonic h600. anyone have try both? how much better is the isolation of panasonic compares with CAL? i dont need anything that isolate a crazy amount of noise (my pc dont do much noise) 

Jul 5, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #2,489 of 2,849
Quote:
And from Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 and Creative Aurvana Live, which is best buy just to play? cost the same on amazon ...

people considering the a-t 700/900 phones would do well to try them on first before sinking any $ for them.  the headband design can make a secure fit to be a very elusive goal ... i thought i have a wide head, but these phones just flop all over the place when i tried them on for size & there's nothing you can do about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back