The PA2V2 Thread
Jun 19, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #31 of 752
I don't get a scratchy sound once it's set, but I can hear static when I'm turning it up/down. I e-mailed Gary about it. Here's a thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/497181/pa2v2-potentiometer-static-answer

I don't notice any imbalance at all. You can always e-mail Gary. He's a great guy to deal with.

Jun 19, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #32 of 752
Thanks will do after I did some more testing. It's weird: I don't hear the scratchy sound now (with the MS1000s) when I have the pot on a low. It was very noticeable the other minute so either it must have been the RE0s and their higher sensitivity or something in the amp needs to warm up.

Jul 8, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #33 of 752
I just got mine today from a fellow head-fier, and I love it.  As far as Gary being awesome, he most definitely is, ready and willing to answer all sorts of technical questions about his product.  My other experience with Gary was because of my stupidity.  I got too excited opening the package from the seller, when cutting the bubble wrap from the power supply I cut it in two.  I emailed Gary asking about purchasing a replacement, and he offered to send one to me free of charge.  I am quite impressed with his level of service especially for someone that is not a first hand customer.  I am loving my amp so far.  I have run it on a pair of ER6i's, SE115's and MeElec M9's so far tonight, last but no least will be my Super.Fi 4's.

Jul 10, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #34 of 752
I just got my PA2v2 yesterday from a fellow head-fier, and I'm quite pleased. Only amps I had ever tried before were FiiO E3 and E5, and this is a very nice upgrade. Works very well with my SR60i's and KSC75's, and I look forward to trying it out with my other 'phones too.

Jul 10, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #35 of 752
Good news. Tis a nice little amp indeed.

Jul 10, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #36 of 752
Double posted. Sorry. Delete please.

Jul 20, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #37 of 752
I haven't touched my FiiO amps since receiving the PA2V2. It really is very nice with my Grados.....it's become my nightly ritual before sleep to spend a couple hours with Clip+ -->PA2V2 --> SR60i's....no EQ required!
L3000.gif

Jul 20, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #38 of 752
On Friday I purchased a pair of RE-ZEROs to replace my lost/stolen SE530's and I'm reading more and more that the RE's need amping more than the Shures do.  This amp looks like it might fit the bill, unless I'm missing something.

My question is, is eBay the only place to purchase it?  I'd like to have it when I leave for France on the 30th, but the auction ending the soonest doesn't end until the 24th - doesn't seem like a lot of wiggle room for delivery time.

Jul 20, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #39 of 752
@nsdjoe  from: http://www.electric-avenues.com/order.html

"Thank you for being interested in ordering an amplifier. If you would like to place an order you
may send an email to my address at gary@electric-avenues.com . I will be happy to provide
you with the different payment methods available. I do enjoy speaking with each person
interested. The PA2V2 is offered directly for U.S. $60. This includes the AC adapter, a 1-foot connection cord to hook it up to your source, and the shipping to your address by insured Airmail. This will get the amp to you within five to ten business days"

I would email him and ask him about your situation.  I am sure he will do everything he can to help you out.  Gary is a great guy to deal with, he is totally committed to his product and serving his customers.  Let us know what happens.

Happy Listening!

Jul 20, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #40 of 752

Quote:
On Friday I purchased a pair of RE-ZEROs to replace my lost/stolen SE530's and I'm reading more and more that the RE's need amping more than the Shures do.  This amp looks like it might fit the bill, unless I'm missing something.

My question is, is eBay the only place to purchase it?  I'd like to have it when I leave for France on the 30th, but the auction ending the soonest doesn't end until the 24th - doesn't seem like a lot of wiggle room for delivery time.

RE0 doesn't improve that much from amping. It brings the bass out a little and the sound is a bit more beefy but it won't change the sound signature at all.

Sep 21, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #41 of 752
Would just like to add on to the praise for Gary's excellent service:
I wanted to give myself a treat for completing a project at work, and was deciding between some of the more popular, built-to-order amps on this forum; namely the PA2V2, CMoyBB and Mini 3. After corresponding with Gary since last night, I was impressed enough that all we're doing now is sorting out shipping and payment details. Mad kudos to Gary! I can't wait to purchase something from a man who has contributed so much to so many in this hobby.

Sep 23, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #42 of 752
I've just received mine as well and am mightily impressed. However, I suspect that the gain has either been set for IEMs or normal impedance phones. I've got Sennheiser HD280 Pros and they are the 64 ohm model. While they sound OK from a source like my MP3 player when they are amped (I've got a Fiio E5) they come to life. So I am wondering if anyone else with harder to drive phones has adjusted the gain controls inside the amp to suit them. If so, could you tell me (and us I suppose) what you did or what setting you went to. If you look at the inside of the amp from the back my controls are set to 10:30 (with 12:00 being the front red fascia) or 4:30 if you view them from the front.

Any help here would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Holden

Sep 25, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #43 of 752
This from Gary.

Code:
 Thank you for mentioning this issue with clipping though. It sounds like the gain screws may be set too high. To get an optimum setting I would first set the amp's gain to minimum (by turning each screw counter-clockwise) and turn the amp's rubber knob on full. You can then hook up the source device with a song playing at about 75% volume, and plug your HD 280s into the amp. I would then turn up the gain screws to make the music through the headphones as loud as possible before they started distorting (or before they started to hurt your ears). This way with everything at max you could then use the amp's knob to turn the music down to a normal listening level.

I did this and it it has made a world of difference. For those of you who have HD280s my new setting (looking from the back to the front of the amp}) is about 7:30. I could tweak it a bit more I suppose but it's far better than what I had.

Sep 25, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #44 of 752

Quote:

Gary was amazing for me on this. The auction was near ending and he said he would build me an amp for the price is was at that time.. The actual auction amp went up another $5 but Gary kept his word and charged me the smaller amount. I have no hesitation in recommending him. It would be great if he ventured into higher end amps as well. I am sure there would be a loyal following if he did!

Oct 8, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #45 of 752
Update: received my PA2V2 from Gary after a 10-business-day wait, but it was worth it! Have briefly tested the amp with my DT 880 and IE8--it seems to work fine with the DT 880, and I suspect the IE8 is a bit too sensitive (@ 120 dB) to use comfortably with the PA2V2. 

But: the PA2V2 was mainly intended for use with my HD 25-1 II, and the pairing is fantastic. Have immediately noticed improvements in clarity and the amount of bass, and an overall increase in warmth of the sound by using the PA2V2. Mind you, this is from an iPod Classic's headphone out only--I can only imagine how much better things will be using a Line-Out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back