The Official Sony NW-WM1Z/ NW-WM1A Flagship DAP (Live From IFA 2016)
Dec 2, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #661 of 1,101
I got a WM1A from amazon UK and the Z1R will be here tomorrow.  The 3.5mm output is feeble as hell, it takes max volume to power Utopias and no headroom at all, it's really only for IEMs and ultra sensitive headphones.  I notice there's no "high gain" setting with 3.5 plugged in, is that a function of the EU version thing?  I don't fully understand whether the EU version is truly crippled or what.  I'll be returning it soon if the balanced output doesn't blow up the Z1Rs and ordering an Asia market one.  

Dec 2, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #663 of 1,101
  I got a WM1A from amazon UK and the Z1R will be here tomorrow.  The 3.5mm output is feeble as hell, it takes max volume to power Utopias and no headroom at all, it's really only for IEMs and ultra sensitive headphones.  I notice there's no "high gain" setting with 3.5 plugged in, is that a function of the EU version thing?  I don't fully understand whether the EU version is truly crippled or what.  I'll be returning it soon if the balanced output doesn't blow up the Z1Rs and ordering an Asia market one.  

EU versions are always crippled by regulations that don't allow you to take your responsibility with your ears volume wise... sigh
I don't think the balanced out could work around the EU volume cap, I haven't tried as I don't have a 4.4mm cable

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #664 of 1,101
Next to the EU: cars that can't go above 60mph, forks that don't come to points, blocks of cheese that aren't too large or delicious for your own good, 8 oz soft drink, boxes of just two condoms, and a super high top marginal income tax rate.

Dec 2, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #666 of 1,101
Could it be more communism than that ? Lol...but let's put political aside. If you are paying so much for such a device, may as well buy the one that is no limits applied

Ask me about the communism,i come from a country that used to be under the régime.
But all things for better.Hoping the non capped version will be soon available in UK to try and buy.

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #667 of 1,101
Update:  at "max" volume of 120, still barely driving the Z1R on balanced and I can't imagine what a joke it would be on 3.5mm.  The whole combination is pretty mediocre and is definitely genre master at best, even with the Z1R on my home balanced rig they really can't compete with the best of Focal, Audeze, and Hifiman.  The WM1A is still a fairly natural sounding, pleasant DAP but don't dream of using the capped version for anything other than IEM, it has zero headroom or dynamics even with very efficient headphones like the Dharmas barely making it.

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #669 of 1,101
Update:  at "max" volume of 120, still barely driving the Z1R on balanced and I can't imagine what a joke it would be on 3.5mm.  The whole combination is pretty mediocre and is definitely genre master at best, even with the Z1R on my home balanced rig they really can't compete with the best of Focal, Audeze, and Hifiman.  The WM1A is still a fairly natural sounding, pleasant DAP but don't dream of using the capped version for anything other than IEM, it has zero headroom or dynamics even with very efficient headphones like the Dharmas barely making it.

How come that a Texan guy buys a EU volume capped DAP?

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #670 of 1,101
a) didn't know it was capped cuz too busy to read forums
b) needed 4.4mm testing nao
c) $1100 USD shipped from amazon UK
d) already returning it, Asia version on its way

Dec 2, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #671 of 1,101
As a professional this standard baffles me, because the 4.4 plug is big, adapters to change it to something else would necessarily be big, not that we have access to cable mount jacks for it anyway; out of the box there's no easy way to use existing balanced gear with it, nor is there any way to use the Z1R out of the box with other balanced stuff.  Sony could easily have paid a few bucks to get some 2.5>4.4 adapters made up, I know what they are worth to manufacture, and it's about 2 dollars each.

However, I'm impressed with how reasonable the new PHA-2 is; importing it only costs a little under $500 right now, and it's got a variety of digital ins and 4.4 out.  It's competitive for sure.

Dec 3, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #673 of 1,101
About volume cap, for older walkman the "service mode" boot sequence allowed for volume cap removal (example here)... we have to wait for someone to disclose it :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back