The Official Fiio E9 Thread with Video Unbox-Review
Nov 3, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #91 of 752

Quote:

It must have been an old model because the only PS1's that featured the dedicated RCA jacks are from the SCPH-100X model family, which was the first production run for the PS1 and Sony removed the RCA jacks from subsequent hardware revisions.

From the little I see, I can tell you have an extremely old gen PS1. Is it that good of a source? I was thinking of trying to do the same with my PS3 for music, as there will be times when the E9 is away from my computer setup, and on the floor with my systems.

Nov 3, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #92 of 752
The PS1 is a good source to my ears when used with a good amp. I don't believe the nonsense about it being able to best $6000 CD players (at least not without extensive modification) but the system I have is very nice overall. The system I have is from the first hardware revision (as far as I know), the SCPH-5501 which is similar to the 100x series but lacks the dedicated RCA jacks.

As far as using the PS3 as a source, I've never tried it so I can't give you any help there.

Nov 3, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #93 of 752
I just read this about the PS1 being good as a cd player.  I have one sitting on the shelf behind me so I checked the back and it is the 5501 model with no av rca jacks.
I also decided today to go ahead and overnight the FiiO E9 from Amazon (I have Prime)  to go with my E7.  It just shipped and is supposed to arrive tomorrow before 4:30 pm!  I was never going to be satisfied until I heard it with the E7.  I came to head-fi to find some good drumming headphones for $100, In the past week I've gotten the D2000, E7 and now a E9...  Ouch.  I really need to leave this place.  Haha

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #94 of 752

Quote:
I haven't had much time to sit down and listen to them side by side but with the stock tube in place, the E9 is the better amp if you're after total neutrality. I couldn't bear to listen to my M50s with the Bravo because of its harsh over-emphasized upper midrange and treble but, of course, this isn't an issue for the E9 because of its flat and uncolored presentation. The Bravo is a good amp on its own but due to the coloration that tube amps impart on the amplified sound due to their inherent design characteristics, the E9 is more flexible in regards to pairing with sources and headphones. Based solely on that, the E9 is my preferred amp at the moment but the two are too different in terms of design and sound character to simply say which is objectively better than the other.

I use a Monster brand cable that I got off of eBay for cheap (which is the only reason I purchased a Monster cable). The model number is PLG200.

How are the M50's with the E9? and if you have the E7, how are they with it too? And what about together?
Sorry for all the questions, i was just curious
redface.gif

Nov 4, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #98 of 752
Quote:
mate I have the exact same issue. and yes mine was within 5 minutes!

One of your channels stopped working too? Dang, I would never wish my own misfortunes on someone else. Thankfully the Micca's support team was very fast to respond and they said I should have my replacement delivered tomorrow; so I am only waiting 2 extra days. Much faster than I thought it would take. Just contact support and they will take good care of you!

Nov 4, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #99 of 752
Left mine burning in all night with my DT990s. Went to work, and came back. No problems.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2010 at 9:02 AM Post #102 of 752
Okay, good news (and it shouldn't be a surprise to those who know just a teeny bit of dac/amp knowledge. I'm a rookie at this but even I figured this out).

The E7 works WONDERFULLY as a DAC in between your source and the E9 (via 3.5mm to Line In, meaning NOT having it docked). I honestly can't tell the difference in sound quality between this method, and having it docked with the E9. HOWEVER, doing this method ALLOWS you to use the EQ settings of the E7 with the E9! YES! That means that even though you don't get the aesthetically pleasing docked E7, you do gain the ability to tweak the sound with those EQ presets! It'll be pointless to do so if you like your E7 with the EQ seting at 0, but for everyone else, it makes your E7 as useful as before. Lemme tell you, EQ 1 works for my K701, as it ever so slightly warms up the sound and raises the bass just a very teeny bit. Not that I need it now... as I enjoy my K701 with EQ 0. That's saying a lot as I didn't even like my K701 with music...now I can't get enough!

Fiio, PLEASE oh please include an update to allow the EQ presets with the docked E7! It's not necessary, but it is an easier solution than using the E7 via Line In, as the dock is there to serve a purpose!

I dunno if it's just me, but the treble of the E9 (while still prominent) has toned down ever so slightly, to the point where I enjoy the K701 even on the dock hooked up to my netbook.

Listening to: Pendulum - Salt in The Wounds. This is an instrumental that features a solid bassline and treble that can EASILY become sibilant. Last time I tested it, it was pretty much borderline sibilant, but now is just ultra crisp even with the K701. And guess what, even this song sounds enjoyable on the K701, though the DT990 just REALLY showcases what solid bass it has...

Gaming impressions coming soon!

I'm currently having waaaay too much fun with my K701 and docked E7/E9. It sounds....AWESOME. The bass is definitely not missing in the K701, just reserved.

Nov 4, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #103 of 752
^brillant idea, got to try it tomorrow. I enjoy using it when my source if FLAC files from PC, but k701 via line from sony is just not the same.

Nov 4, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #104 of 752
Quote:
Okay, good news (and it shouldn't be a surprise to those who know just a teeny bit of dac/amp knowledge. I'm a rookie at this but even I figured this out).

The E7 works WONDERFULLY as a DAC in between your source and the E9 (via 3.5mm to Line In, meaning NOT having it docked). I honestly can't tell the difference in sound quality between this method, and having it docked with the E9. HOWEVER, doing this method ALLOWS you to use the EQ settings of the E7 with the E9! YES! That means that even though you don't get the aesthetically pleasing docked E7, you do gain the ability to tweak the sound with those EQ presets! It'll be pointless to do so if you like your E7 with the EQ seting at 0, but for everyone else, it makes your E7 as useful as before. Lemme tell you, EQ 1 works for my K701, as it ever so slightly warms up the sound and raises the bass just a very teeny bit. Not that I need it now... as I enjoy my K701 with EQ 0. That's saying a lot as I didn't even like my K701 with music...now I can't get enough!

Fiio, PLEASE oh please include an update to allow the EQ presets with the docked E7! It's not necessary, but it is an easier solution than using the E7 via Line In, as the dock is there to serve a purpose!

I dunno if it's just me, but the treble of the E9 (while still prominent) has toned down ever so slightly, to the point where I enjoy the K701 even on the dock hooked up to my netbook.

Listening to: Pendulum - Salt in The Wounds. This is an instrumental that features a solid basslike and treble that can EASILY become sibilant. Last time I tested it, it was pretty much borderline sibilant, but now is just ultra crisp even with the K701. And guess what, even this song sounds enjoyable on the K701, though the DT990 just REALLY showcases what solid bass it has...

Gaming impressions coming soon!

I'm currently having waaaay too much fun with my K701 and docked E7/E9. It sounds....AWESOME. The bass is definitely not missing in the K701, just reserved.

Never thought of this. Probably won't use it but definitely great to know!

Nov 4, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #105 of 752
This is definitely one way that the E7 can be used with the E9. You might get a bit more background hiss when connected like this but the sound should still be very good, and you will get to use the E7's EQ. If do this, set the E7's volume to level 56 or above and use the volume on the E9 to control listening level.

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back