The Official Fiio E9 Thread with Video Unbox-Review
Nov 5, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #121 of 752
Yeah, the E7 works just fine as a DAC via the E9's line in, but I believe Fiio wanted the E7 docked onto the E9, lol. The E7 with EQ at 0 undocked and the E7 docked are pretty much the same thing (sound difference is probably just USB cable vs whatever 3.5 line in cable you're using), except it looks better docked.
wink.gif

The EQ at 0/E7 docked are pretty much the neutral/most accurate, while you already know EQ 1 is a slightly warmer and very slightly bassier side of neutral. I thought the D2000 was already warm so I thought it wouldn't be good making it warmer, but I never heard it so I'm just making assumptions.

Nov 5, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #122 of 752
Yeah, I need to get myself used to neutral sound.  I probably qualify as a basshead, I have two SVS PC-12 NSD's in my 10' x 10' Home Theater with a Buttkicker LFE also.  I'm used to a little omph in my bass.  
redface.gif

I know I'm enjoying this FiiO setup though, it sounds as good or better than my theater setup, and at a fraction of the cost.  
eek.gif

Nov 5, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #123 of 752
hi people...

i needed help here.

i have my ipod as source.
and active speakers = audioengines.

and i wanted my ipod to sound good.
because sometimes i hear something is missing...

which among the e7/e9 is the best purchase to make my ipod sound good along with my audioengine?
or should i buy both?
will it help?

Nov 5, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #124 of 752
Since your iPod will be the source, the E7 is obsolete unless you plan to use the bass EQ. I would go straight for the E9 and call it a day.

Any particular reason you won't be using your PC for music though? The E7/E9 docked will yield far superior results this way.

Nov 6, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #125 of 752
hi riku,
well, its just that ipod is the best bet when it comes to portability.
thru laptop, i needed to open it up to listen to my music, in short, the ipod can provide me music in an instant.

may i know, what would the e9 do to my ipod?
will it help enhance the sound quality?

Nov 6, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #126 of 752
I docked the E7 with the E9 instead of using the Line in and after listening to some bass heavy tracks I can really tell that it is not lacking in that department with the D2000's.  Down In It from Pretty Hate Machine sounds
L3000.gif
  I think I will keep it docked for a while, it still would be good to have the option to use the EQ settings on the E7 while docked also.

Nov 6, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #127 of 752
Quote:
hi riku,
well, its just that ipod is the best bet when it comes to portability.
thru laptop, i needed to open it up to listen to my music, in short, the ipod can provide me music in an instant.

may i know, what would the e9 do to my ipod?
will it help enhance the sound quality?

Absolutely. If portability is an issue though the E9 is just going to be another thing you'll need to be moving around; and need a wall plug for no less. The E9 is still very small for what it is, but was more inteded to be a stay-in-one-place kind of thing. The E7 is better for portability but probably won't have enough power for speakers. Either one though (or both) will for one, increase volume output, but in addition strengthen the quality of the signal which will greatly enhance clarity, seperation, impact, etc. (This is what an amp is for.) Just be sure to get a line out cable/adapter for your iPod; you don't want to send the signal through the headphone jack.

Are you just using the iPod around the house since you say they're connected to speakers? I can understand the appeal of just having to hit play and you're done; but in my opinion turning on your laptop or PC is such an insignificant inconvenience especially if you will be listening for hours. I guess I do take it for granted though because I have my E7/E9 connected to my desktop; which more or less is never turned off unless I go out of town.

Nov 6, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #128 of 752

Mad Lust envy had a greatr post not long ago.
Here are two of you option, first one is the cheaper one second one is what Mad lust suggested and o boy does it make a huge diffence of what!

1)iPod->E9->Speaker

2)iPod LOD->E7 via line in connected to ->E9->Speaker
As suggest by Jack by micca store in this case set E7 to maximum it can and then control the sound via E9, their is a massive improvement on Bass respond and SQ, not much on sound stage.

Quote:
hi people...

i needed help here.

i have my ipod as source.
and active speakers = audioengines.

and i wanted my ipod to sound good.
because sometimes i hear something is missing...

which among the e7/e9 is the best purchase to make my ipod sound good along with my audioengine?
or should i buy both?
will it help?

Nov 6, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #129 of 752
Couldn't find the answer to this from a quick search and didn't want to start a whole thread over it. (Sorry)

Basically, I have an old XP laptop; 5-6 years old. It's been collecting dust for a while now, but now that I have my E7/E9 I was thinking of giving it a hard drive upgrade and turning it into a dedicated music library.

In short, does laptop performance matter at all so long as it can handle playing music when using a USB DAC? It won't impact the sound quality at all right?

I'm already 99.9% sure it shouldn't but just want some reassurance before I go ahead and do this. Thanks.

Nov 6, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #130 of 752

As long as it is working non what so ever. Matter of fact I am getting a netbook next week. As long as you only use it for music it is fine. I am going to use the netbook with Foobar 2000.
Quote:
Couldn't find the answer to this from a quick search and didn't want to start a whole thread over it. (Sorry)

Basically, I have an old XP laptop; 5-6 years old. It's been collecting dust for a while now, but now that I have my E7/E9 I was thinking of giving it a hard drive upgrade and turning it into a dedicated music library.

In short, does laptop performance matter at all so long as it can handle playing music when using a USB DAC? It won't impact the sound quality at all right?

I'm already 99.9% sure it shouldn't but just want some reassurance before I go ahead and do this. Thanks.

Nov 6, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #131 of 752
Quote:

If you want to be REALLY cool you can put Linux on it too.
beerchug.gif

Mind you, just uninstalling 'most everything else and just having Foobar would work just as well - you don't really need a lot of power to be a music server, but it's best to make sure that there's nothing cluttering it up.

Nov 6, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #132 of 752
I was thinking Mangamonster should rename the thread to "The Official Fiio E9 Thread" or something akin to it, as this is mostly where all of us will go to comment on the E9. It will help from other E9 threads popping up too!

Quote:
I docked the E7 with the E9 instead of using the Line in and after listening to some bass heavy tracks I can really tell that it is not lacking in that department with the D2000's.  Down In It from Pretty Hate Machine sounds
L3000.gif
  I think I will keep it docked for a while, it still would be good to have the option to use the EQ settings on the E7 while docked also.

Yeah, I honestly dunno why Fiio took out the ability to use the EQ settings of the E7 when docked. o_O

As for Ipod use, you can easily buy Fiio's L3 LOD Cable and hook the Ipod up to the E9's Line In. The E7 is unnecessary in this equation, but when you're on the go, the Ipod + L3 would obviously work well with the E7 as a portable amp. The E7 and E9 are great to have together because each one has their own separate use, as well as working together when you have the ability to use a DAC.

UPDATE

The 3.5mm input MAY have issues maintaining both channels if not put in correctly. Sometimes you have to work your headphone's plug in or you'll lose one channel. I have absolutely no problems with the 1/4" (6.35mm) input. So if anyone has any problems with the typical 3.5mm input, perhaps use the 6.35mm adapter that I'm sure all headphones come with as an add-on or normally. Either way, the 3.5mm works, it's just slightly more finicky than the 6.35mm input.

UPDATE 2

Okay, this is COMPLETELY unnecessary as the E7 alone already does a bang up job with these two, but I tested the E9 with both the M50s and Creative Aurvana Live. Holy smokes, do they sound ****ing fantastic! What's funny to me is just how comparable these two are to each other. Like REALLY similar in sound. Last time I tested them out was with the E7, and the E9 is no different. These two are FANTASTIC closed headphones for the price.
smily_headphones1.gif
They're both easy to drive, but both exhibit some pretty good sound with some amping. Not much of a plus with the E9, but just wanted to post my impressions on it with these cans.

Nov 6, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #133 of 752
The line out should be original signal! for example, the line out of iPod/iPhone also took out hte ability of EQ settings!

There are lot of criticism to the lien out T51 from Teclast ( also call nationites S:Flo² )

and it is just because the EQ still work to the line out signal! lol!

Quote:
Yeah, I honestly dunno why Fiio took out the ability to use the EQ settings of the E7 when docked. o_O

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 6, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #134 of 752
I understand that logic. You're not getting the purest audio signal if you're able to tweak EQ somewhere in the audio chain. However, I assumed that when the E7 was docked, that the E7 and E9 works synonymously as one device, so I thought you were able to use the E7's EQ settings, and the E9's amping with no degradation of the source between both devices asides from the EQ (as I thought they worked as one similar to the E7's DAC and AMP properties). I'm not knowledgeable as to how all this works, so forgive me for misunderstanding the technology behind it. They're both great products and I'm very pleased with what they both can do.
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't NEED the E7's EQ settings, but if I did, I wouldn't mind undocking it and using it in the way I posted, even at the cost of the E9 amping a 'touched' signal... The versatility is there for those not so worried about compromising the purest signal.

Nov 6, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #135 of 752

Quote:
I understand that logic. You're not getting the purest audio signal if you're able to tweak EQ somewhere in the audio chain. However, I assumed that when the E7 was docked, that the E7 and E9 works synonymously as one device, so I thought you were able to use the E7's EQ settings, and the E9's amping with no degradation of the source between both devices (as I thought they worked as one similar to the E7's DAC and AMP properties). I'm not knowledgeable as to how all this works, so forgive me for misunderstanding how all this works. They're both great products and I'm very pleased with what they both can do.
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't NEED the E7's EQ settings, but if I did, I wouldn't mind undocking it and using it in the way I posted, even at the cost of it being TRUE line out...

It is OK, I also have not idea why a line out signal can not carry the EQ setting! Trust me, I had been engineer and R/D manager for more than 18 years in audio! but FiiO must respect to our user! also there are not a standard definition to line out! depend on my knowlege, it is just

about the output impendance and level! so the line out signal can be used between audio device! otherwise it will have problem and need to adjust the signal first! I am not saying it is a wrong concept, but it does accepted by lots of audiophile! interesting! the line out of Sony's

walkman still can be control by the EQ, I guess that is why they can not sold as much as iPod, lol!

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back