The Official Echobox Explorer Thread
Jan 8, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #61 of 2,481
Personally not a fan of the flask idea, it's going to appeal to a minority but turn away a lot of people. I was looking for almost exactly this device (though needed SD card support and USB input) several months ago, but even had it been available I would have balked on the idea that I can't use it in public without drawing a lot of attention. Do you really want to be on the bus/train or in a coffee shop pulling out a flask? And have fun at the airport trying to go through customs or TSA with it in your carryon. It's sort of a conundrum to me to make a device centered around portability that you really can't use in public unless you have no concern for how others see you. You should really consider an additional variation of the appearance that is more suitable for persons who don't want to be identified as alcoholics, namely eliminating the "cap" volume pot (or at least I assume that's the volume control) and the device looks very professional in a manner that does not attract negative attention. To me, replace the large scored twist-cap with a volume rocker / dial / + & - buttons and you remove the lynchpin from the appearance. Otherwise it seems like a fantastic device from a technical standpoint and I applaud the emphasis on a truly portable android-based streaming device (which I feel are severely lacking here at headfi). Just my 2c.

Jan 8, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #62 of 2,481
It kind of looks like something out of a Brookstone shop - odd but functional. Will this thing fit in a pocket I wonder?

Jan 8, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #65 of 2,481
Perhaps it would be better if you could post all the technical specifications in the 1st page.
At the moment this is all just a big blur...

Jan 8, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #67 of 2,481
  As the company account mentioned (hey Bernie :wink: ), an SD card slot shouldn't be much trouble, and while we're trying to emphasize the streaming services to show everyone how awesome it is to have anything you want at CD-quality or better at your fingertips anywhere you go, it really is true that most audiophiles will want more space for their own vinyl rips and personal collections they've accrued over the years, and we get that.

It's not an especially difficult feature to implement, and we're still pre-production until the end of the month, so I imagine it's a feature we'll see by Q2, if not sooner.

All good stuff. I haven't read past this post yet, but one feature I like about spotify is that you can download tunes to your device for offline listening (not sure if you can do that with Tidal). Anyway, this is why I personally would like to see some sort of onboard or preferably microsd storage. 

Anyway, very interesting product and onwards we read!

Edit: I now realize that it comes in 16G or 64G internal storage flavors. That's ok, but as others have stated, microsd would be preferable, so it's great that you are working towards that. Question: with the Explore X1, could you download from spotify for offline play?

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #68 of 2,481
I personally really like the flask design, of course its more playful than professional looking, music should be enjoyable. Assuming good quality, I think the leather exterior would be much more pleasing to the touch than a characterless plastic cube, more intimate.

The streaming sounds awesome, but as others have said, the lack of expandable storage is a deal breaker for me. I mean, its an android device right? Isn't that why we buy android devices? Because we like the freedom to customize our gear? Because we want to listen to what we want, when we want, how we want? I do not support Apple, I don't use their software or hardware, and would hope that other companies shy away from their business model of overpriced mandatory factory additions and proprietary nonsense.

With expansion slots this product is looking TOO good to say no to, but without it.... I don't know.... Tough sell IMO

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #69 of 2,481
We're definitely pushing for microSD support; I think dual slots would make it a real slam dunk. I think it will happen, although it might delay the launch. Luckily our all titanium buds are ready to go, which most of our potential distributors seem excited about - we've got positive responses from retailers and distributors from all over the US to Canada, UK, Poland, France, Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan, a distributor who serves multiple countries in Central America...the list goes on! We've had interest from some really high level audio companies too, who have been asking questions about co-branding a product together, which, needless to say, we're very excited about.

Quote:

All good stuff. I haven't read past this post yet, but one feature I like about spotify is that you can download tunes to your device for offline listening (not sure if you can do that with Tidal). Anyway, this is why I personally would like to see some sort of onboard or preferably microsd storage. 

Anyway, very interesting product and onwards we read!

Edit: I now realize that it comes in 16G or 64G internal storage flavors. That's ok, but as others have stated, microsd would be preferable, so it's great that you are working towards that. Question: with the Explore X1, could you download from spotify for offline play?

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #70 of 2,481
Interesting Gilly, I've been looking for a case for my home made android+odac+o2 player and a flask does seem like a perfect size for it. May need to steal the idea (and then realize I've wasted like 200 dollars and tons of time on this when I just could have bought your product instead).

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #72 of 2,481
The streaming sounds awesome, but as others have said, the lack of expandable storage is a deal breaker for me. I mean, its an android device right? Isn't that why we buy android devices? Because we like the freedom to customize our gear? Because we want to listen to what we want, when we want, how we want? I do not support Apple, I don't use their software or hardware, and would hope that other companies shy away from their business model of overpriced mandatory factory additions and proprietary nonsense.

I completely agree on Apple. It stinks!

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #73 of 2,481
HUGE props for Spotify/Tidal support, and even though I don't like the 'flask' design much at all, I think I could live with it.
But only if you add at least one sd slot.
Two micro's or one full size would make your player MUCH more appealing to me.

In terms of looks, my favourite designs at the moment are the ibasso daps, the TOTL Sony's, and the concept drawings (abandoned!) over on the FiiO X7 thread..
I only mention these as you say you're still in pre production, and may consider changes, I hope you do, as there's very few players which support streaming services (killer feature IMO).

Looking forward to hearing what attendees think of the SQ.

Good luck guys, whatever you decide!

Edited for typo, and to add:
Downloadable playlists are vital for Spotify/TIDAL etc to be worthwhile (for me at least), I dont carry my WI-FI around with me :)

Jan 9, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #74 of 2,481
In precisely what way is a DAP which looks like a hip flask supposed to be discreet? Embarrassing, yes - but discreet?

Shame, because it looks quite interesting from a technical point of view.

This, incidentally, is why I ended up not buying a C&C TU back in the day...

Jan 9, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #75 of 2,481
C&C TU (Baiju not included...):

Users who are viewing this thread

Back