The Official Echobox Explorer Thread
Jan 9, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #77 of 2,481
I dunno, as I've mentioned earlier in the thread I think that between the screen and the wire leading to your cans/IEMs, it will be pretty difficult to mistake it for a flask except at the absolute first glance. Some people coming by our booth at CES don't even recognize the shape until we tell them!

Luckily the TSA have those handy dandy X-rays to tell them what's inside; it'll look just like a computer. Lots of metal, no liquid; looks pretty different in a scanner.

That's an iphone, clearly, but you get the picture.

Besides, it's going to be in your pocket most of the time! And when it's not, we think it'll make a great conversation starter.

I will say that, due to the feedback, we're considering releasing a more "standard" shaped player in parallel, but we really like the idea, especially given the great ergonomics and how it just disappears in your pocket compared to most slab or box-style players.

I appreciate your compliments though; we've worked hard to make it something that will appeal to as many audiophiles as possible while still remaining a truly unique product, and it's good to hear that we're really getting there! Your support means a lot; it's hard work developing a product like this, and the whole team is excited and very motivated by the fact that so many people seem interested in our concept.

Quote:
  Personally not a fan of the flask idea, it's going to appeal to a minority but turn away a lot of people. I was looking for almost exactly this device (though needed SD card support and USB input) several months ago, but even had it been available I would have balked on the idea that I can't use it in public without drawing a lot of attention. Do you really want to be on the bus/train or in a coffee shop pulling out a flask? And have fun at the airport trying to go through customs or TSA with it in your carryon. It's sort of a conundrum to me to make a device centered around portability that you really can't use in public unless you have no concern for how others see you. You should really consider an additional variation of the appearance that is more suitable for persons who don't want to be identified as alcoholics, namely eliminating the "cap" volume pot (or at least I assume that's the volume control) and the device looks very professional in a manner that does not attract negative attention. To me, replace the large scored twist-cap with a volume rocker / dial / + & - buttons and you remove the lynchpin from the appearance. Otherwise it seems like a fantastic device from a technical standpoint and I applaud the emphasis on a truly portable android-based streaming device (which I feel are severely lacking here at headfi). Just my 2c.

Jan 9, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #78 of 2,481
Oh yeah. It's no thicker than most guys' wallets, and the shape really helps comfort, too; it kinda hugs your leg in the pocket.

I hadn't thought of it before, but you're SO right, Brookstone would be a perfect retailer for us! I think they would jump at a product like this in a heartbeat. You can bet your butt I'll be flooding them with calls and emails when I get home!!!

Quote:
  It kind of looks like something out of a Brookstone shop - odd but functional. Will this thing fit in a pocket I wonder?

Jan 9, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #79 of 2,481
How does $450 sound ($550 bundled with the earphones, which are normally $200)?

Quote:
  Was about to pull the trigger and get a Cowon Z2 but might wait to see how this pans out. All this needs is a SD slot and in the right price range and ill be seriously interested.  

Jan 9, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #80 of 2,481
Thanks! That's what we think too. We really like the idea of making our product more organic/natural feeling, as opposed to the all-metal/plastic designs that dominate the tech landscape. These are luxury products, and we think they should look AND feel like it. Enough cheap plastic!

Quote:
  I personally really like the flask design, of course its more playful than professional looking, music should be enjoyable. Assuming good quality, I think the leather exterior would be much more pleasing to the touch than a characterless plastic cube, more intimate.

The streaming sounds awesome, but as others have said, the lack of expandable storage is a deal breaker for me. I mean, its an android device right? Isn't that why we buy android devices? Because we like the freedom to customize our gear? Because we want to listen to what we want, when we want, how we want? I do not support Apple, I don't use their software or hardware, and would hope that other companies shy away from their business model of overpriced mandatory factory additions and proprietary nonsense.

With expansion slots this product is looking TOO good to say no to, but without it.... I don't know.... Tough sell IMO

Jan 9, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #82 of 2,481
I don't think it's easy to judge on the design and form factor just from looking at pictures of it alone, would really need to hold it in my hands. It does look a bit bulky but so do many DAPs out there. As for the flask shape concept, I think some people get repulsed from the idea alone initially because alcohol is so demonized, and any association to it gets bad flack, also the bulk might be a bit off-putting for the younger crowd who are used to sleek devices.

I listen to music primary from my computer at home and from my phone on the go (flac player and streaming services), however my phone has a very limited storage space so I'm currently looking for a DAP to replace my phone for portable music listening. The Explorer X1 is priced very close to my budget range, and if the hifi streaming capabilities far surpass those of my phone plus there's an option for SD card memory expansion (as is expressed heavily by many on this thread already) then it could be a serious option for me. I think the current competition for the Explorer X1 would be the Pono Music Player which is kinda similarly priced but has a form factor that I am not a fan of.

Is it in the production phase already? Or will alterations still be done? Again, making it sleeker while keeping the initial design (love the the leather and metal look) and adding storage expansion options will make it very popular (also having a sound that's better than similarly priced DAPs as well, ultimately). Even if the launch gets pushed back due to additional alterations addressing the feedback from forums it wont matter much as long as you provide a product that's very attractive to audiophiles. DAPs are generally not cheap considering that they aren't built to be multi-functional devices so anyone who would consider buying one would be quite serious about good sound while maintaining a good level of portability as well.

I haven't pulled the trigger on getting a DAP yet because the current options do not seem attractive to me as they either have bothersome UI issues, noise issues, or they just don't sound good for their respective price points (and some are very overpriced), so I'm very interested in the Explorer X1 and if the concerns many here and I have of it are addressed and if some of the issues we have with it gets fixed. 

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #83 of 2,481
How does $450 sound ($550 bundled with the earphones, which are normally $200)?

I find this highly tempting. Any serious listening impressions so far?
Could this device cope with some hard-to-drive planar magnetic headphones?
( for instance the LCD2, or the ancient PMB-series orthodynamics)

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #84 of 2,481
The Pono Player is a great little device, and it sounds awesome, but I agree the form factor is less than ideal. It's also a slightly different focus; the Pono Player has a closed market ecosystem,  and to my knowledge does not support any kind of streaming (only downloading) whereas the Explorer is Android-based, meaning you can not only load or download your own music, but also download streaming apps like Spotify, Pandora, or, if you want the real deal, cd-quality streaming services like TIDAL, Quboz, Deezer, etc.

The only relevant competition we're aware of is the Sony ZX-1, but it only puts out 20 mW, while the Explorer pumps out 150 mW, which is plenty to drive an HD650 or similar. Beyerdynamic is actually using the Explorer at their booth here at CES right now to power their T1 demo!

I happened to catch a fellow audiophile checking out the T1 and Explorer combo just now:

Quote:
  I don't think it's easy to judge on the design and form factor just from looking at pictures of it alone, would really need to hold it in my hands. It does look a bit bulky but so do many DAPs out there. As for the flask shape concept, I think some people get repulsed from the idea alone initially because alcohol is so demonized, and any association to it gets bad flack, also the bulk might be a bit off-putting for the younger crowd who are used to sleek devices.

I listen to music primary from my computer at home and from my phone on the go (flac player and streaming services), however my phone has a very limited storage space so I'm currently looking for a DAP to replace my phone for portable music listening. The Explorer X1 is priced very close to my budget range, and if the hifi streaming capabilities far surpass those of my phone plus there's an option for SD card memory expansion (as is expressed heavily by many on this thread already) then it could be a serious option for me. I think the current competition for the Explorer X1 would be the Pono Music Player which is kinda similarly priced but has a form factor that I am not a fan of.

Is it in the production phase already? Or will alterations still be done? Again, making it sleeker while keeping the initial design (love the the leather and metal look) and adding storage expansion options will make it very popular (also having a sound that's better than similarly priced DAPs as well, ultimately). Even if the launch gets pushed back due to additional alterations addressing the feedback from forums it wont matter much as long as you provide a product that's very attractive to audiophiles. DAPs are generally not cheap considering that they aren't built to be multi-functional devices so anyone who would consider buying one would be quite serious about good sound while maintaining a good level of portability as well.

I haven't pulled the trigger on getting a DAP yet because the current options do not seem attractive to me as they either have bothersome UI issues, noise issues, or they just don't sound good for their respective price points (and some are very overpriced), so I'm very interested in the Explorer X1 and if the concerns many here and I have of it are addressed and if some of the issues we have with it gets fixed. 

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #85 of 2,481

How about heading over to Audeze, and try that flask with an LCD2? I am curious. (If they are around?)
popcorn.gif

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #86 of 2,481
I may have missed the discussion somewhere but 105mW into what impedance? 150mW is a useless number without talking about impedance, especially when the Sansa Clip+ outputs a maximum of 489mW with much less than 1% distortion. Numbers mean nothing without an anchor. Also once Rockboxed I can max my Clip+ at 72gb, or 136 for the more daring, that's 72gb for $100 with great audio quality. I'm not seeing a reason to buy your product, especially at $449 when I don't use streaming services and I hate proprietary Android skins (because they all universally suck/slow down the interface).

Also what's the output impedance?

You guys also mention that you cater to every modern audiophiles needs, but clearly you haven't since you have failed to include expansion via micro SD.

I'll stick with my Clip+ for portable and spend the extra cash on new IEMs.

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #87 of 2,481
  I may have missed the discussion somewhere but 105mW into what impedance? 150mW is a useless number without talking about impedance, especially when the Sansa Clip+ outputs a maximum of 489mW with much less than 1% distortion. Numbers mean nothing without an anchor. Also once Rockboxed I can max my Clip+ at 72gb, or 136 for the more daring, that's 72gb for $100 with great audio quality. I'm not seeing a reason to buy your product, especially at $449 when I don't use streaming services and I hate proprietary Android skins (because they all universally suck/slow down the interface).

Also what's the output impedance?

You guys also mention that you cater to every modern audiophiles needs, but clearly you haven't since you have failed to include expansion via micro SD.

I'll stick with my Clip+ for portable and spend the extra cash on new IEMs.

64GB should be fine for most people.  I agree that specs are a bit unclear now, but that's to be expected.  It probably isn't even in the mass production phase.

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #89 of 2,481
I do have to say, I find it quite funny all these people fretting about what others will think about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back