The Official Cigar Thread
Apr 5, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #361 of 1,369
Well I had bought some of the regular Sancho Panzos a while ago. Had been a fan of the Extra Fuerte Maduro for a while. This was a nice 56 x 7 smoke. Completely enjoyable and well worth the price for a box. Might have been the aging but still. I am going to be making Sancho's a permanent resident in my humidors.

Apr 5, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #362 of 1,369
I got two Oliva Serie V Lanceros in the mail friday (CI limits them to five per customer, but I didn't want to spend the money for all five). I smoked the one that night and of course loved it. I'm not much into Lanceros, but these are some of my favorite smokes. Its such a nice day here in PA I think the other one is going to be on the chopping block.

Cheers!

Apr 5, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #363 of 1,369
Quote:

Originally Posted by kydsid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I had bought some of the regular Sancho Panzos a while ago. Had been a fan of the Extra Fuerte Maduro for a while. This was a nice 56 x 7 smoke. Completely enjoyable and well worth the price for a box. Might have been the aging but still. I am going to be making Sancho's a permanent resident in my humidors.

They are so cheap and so good. I may grab another box of Extra Fuertes just for an everyday smoke.

Advise needed, I am looking for a box of higher end smokes ($200-$300) to get for my birthday. I am looking at the Don Carlos line mostly but also looking at Rocky Patel, Ashton, Diamond Crown, Litto Gomez, and the Don Pepin stuff. My tastes usually run medium to full. Looking for a robusto, toro or torpedo as far as vitolas go.

I am a fan of Avos and really want to see what the 787 has to offer as well. Any suggestions or brands I may be overlooking?

Apr 5, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #364 of 1,369
Looks like a pretty good list you got there Darkninja. I'd say to throw some Padron's in there, but I'm not sure if they're your style (the 64's are my favorite of the line so far that I can afford). In any case, from the list, I'd say definitely consider some Rocky Decades or Don Pepin My Father. I'm pretty sure all three I mentioned fall between 2 and 3 hundred, but hey if you want to swing for the fences, go for the Rocky Old World Reserves (50 sticks for 400ish dollars at CI).

Cheers, and happy upcoming b-day.

Apr 5, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #365 of 1,369
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarathustra19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like a pretty good list you got there Darkninja. I'd say to throw some Padron's in there, but I'm not sure if they're your style (the 64's are my favorite of the line so far that I can afford). In any case, from the list, I'd say definitely consider some Rocky Decades or Don Pepin My Father. I'm pretty sure all three I mentioned fall between 2 and 3 hundred, but hey if you want to swing for the fences, go for the Rocky Old World Reserves (50 sticks for 400ish dollars at CI).

Cheers, and happy upcoming b-day.

Yeah I think the Padrons are on my list too. Just forgot to list them here.

Apr 6, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #366 of 1,369
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are so cheap and so good. I may grab another box of Extra Fuertes just for an everyday smoke.

Advise needed, I am looking for a box of higher end smokes ($200-$300) to get for my birthday. I am looking at the Don Carlos line mostly but also looking at Rocky Patel, Ashton, Diamond Crown, Litto Gomez, and the Don Pepin stuff. My tastes usually run medium to full. Looking for a robusto, toro or torpedo as far as vitolas go.

I am a fan of Avos and really want to see what the 787 has to offer as well. Any suggestions or brands I may be overlooking?

Our tastes seem to line up so I will give you a hit list of the expensive smokes I really enjoy. First I will say I am not a fan of Peppin's. I have heard good things about the My Father line but every Peppin I have had in past I did not like. As for Olde World Reserve, and I love Rocky's for the most part, they are a good smoke just now something I would put as high dollar good smoke. Although the list I am about to put down, some are not that expensive, ie sub $200 but all carry weight to the others.

I would say look for the following, IF you can find them: La Aurora 100 Anos, God of Fire Carlito (preferred over Don Carlos, unless it is the Don Carlos 05, 06's seem to have an aging issue), ITC 10th Anniversary (Commendable smoke to say the least, all Rocky fans must buy this), San Cristobal (one of my favorite smokes, Classico and Maestro are my preffered smoke, and a pretty band to boot, ha), Padron 64 Anniversario (preference to kick in the butt Imperial Maduro, but watch the power on that one!), CAO Vision, Ashton Heritage Robusto Cameroon. There is one other CAO that I adore, but was only ever availble at one cigar chain, whether they have any I do not know. I will only divulge the secret in PM and not publicly. So if interested let me know.
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #367 of 1,369
I was thinking about the God Of Fire too. Never had one and would love to grab a box.
I do not believe I am a huge fan of Pepin either. Everyone keeps recommending Tats and Cabs too. They are good but were not really good. Thinking I may just grab a box of Camacho Triple Maduros and a box of Oliva Masters Blend 3s.

Thanks for the advise kydsid. RP and CAO have never impressed me either. I do have a box of Edge Maduros resting though.

Apr 7, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #368 of 1,369
CAO Vision was OK but I remember it being a medium powered smoke at best and slightly woodsy throughout the experience. As for CAO they're hit or miss with the MX2, CX2, and Italia being misses in my book and CAO Brazilia and Black being excellent smokes. The Brazilia is a solid, robust after dinner smoke that has a definite dark chocolate and almond scent to it. Don't remember much about the Black besides the good draw and construction through.

Which Rocky Patel's have you tried? I've just about tried all of their lines and enjoy most of them especially the Decade and Vintage 1992. I'd avoid their <insert season here> Collection though.

Apr 7, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #369 of 1,369
Quote:

Originally Posted by DestradoImpulse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CAO Vision was OK but I remember it being a medium powered smoke at best and slightly woodsy throughout the experience. As for CAO they're hit or miss with the MX2, CX2, and Italia being misses in my book and CAO Brazilia and Black being excellent smokes. The Brazilia is a solid, robust after dinner smoke that has a definite dark chocolate and almond scent to it.

I tend to agree with you on some of the CAO's, the Italia was a little too airy and bland for my tastes, but I really enjoyed the MX2 and CX2.

As for being hit or miss, yeah, that tends to be true. There are definite exceptions, but I don't usually take the chance with my money.

Apr 7, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #370 of 1,369
The thing with CAO and RP. When they are on they are ON, when they are off they are off. My fav's from each line have never disappointed me, especially those above. And I'll test the waters to find that gem. God of Fire has never disappointed.

I agree the CAO Vision is medium. Even so I have never had a bad Vision and they are among the price range my man wanted.

As far as Rocky's I have had, the list of haven't had is the lesser. But I stick to just a few as rock solid keepers. Vintage 90, Old World Reserve, and mostly the ITC's.

Apr 7, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #371 of 1,369
Now that I think about it, a Liga Privada might be up your ally for the price range and power.

Complex flavors, consistent quality, and the price tag of $11+ a stick is all I remember but it'll be worth at least a sampler.

Apr 7, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #372 of 1,369
I think I am going to take a good look at the La Aurora 100 Anos as well. Or I could go with a box of Oliva Vs and LFD Chisels. I definitely want to add some of those to my box.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Apr 7, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #373 of 1,369
Well if I were to choose, and I already did, ha, I would get the 100 Anos. They only made 400,000 individually serial numbered cigars, distributed in descending order. My box bought last september is under 100k in serial number. So not many left out there. Get em while you can.

Apr 8, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #374 of 1,369
Just finished a La Aroma de Cuba robusto. What a kick you on your ass smoke that was. Oh my. Nice oily stanky cigar for us strong fans. Little bit of canooing and a hard draw but I think it needs more aging. Only had them for a month.

Apr 8, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #375 of 1,369
Quote:

Originally Posted by kydsid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just finished a La Aroma de Cuba robusto. What a kick you on your ass smoke that was. Oh my. Nice oily stanky cigar for us strong fans. Little bit of canooing and a hard draw but I think it needs more aging. Only had them for a month.

I had an Edicion Especial the other day and it was very very good. The San Cristobals intrigue me as well but I really need to narrow it down. I am just acquiring way too many smokes right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back