The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 31, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #2,296 of 10,994
If you are interested I can make one up for you to test out. Just pay shipping and you can try it out all you want. In fact if anyone wants to try one out let me know. Perhaps I should do a 100Ohm impedance adapter loaner program?

For me, adding a 100Ohm impedance adapter to the T1's when using the Auditor seems to improve their performance on the amp. It makes the amp work harder to drive them. 

Quote:
where might one find one of these 120 ohm adaptors?  I suppose meier, apuresound, moon....whomever can make them for you?

Apr 1, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #2,297 of 10,994

Quote:
where might one find one of these 120 ohm adaptors?  I suppose meier, apuresound, moon....whomever can make them for you?

Perhaps you can find one in a professional audio store - 120Ω is an audio standard, and I am sure such adaptors exist. Otherwise, the easiest way would be to make one yourself, or find someone to make one for you. It is a very easy DIY project, all you need is an unused extension cable, some resistors and a soldering iron.

Apr 1, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #2,298 of 10,994
I had a great listening session tonight, switching off between the T1s and my Grado 325s. I found a fantastic bass demo for the T1s if anyone is interested. If you have the CD/lossless version of "Seven Nation Army" by the White Stripes, crank it up a bit and listen to both the impact and the detail of the kick drum. It's one of the most realistic representations I've ever heard. I played around with drums a bit growing up, and my father played for years in a band, so it's an experience I'm pretty accustomed to. If you listen closely, you can actually hear not only the "thump" of the drum beat, but also the slight echo/resonance after the strike. It's really remarkable. It's not a great vocal track, cause they're just a tad bit recessed, but the percussion is fantastic. Also, for some fun, toss on some Daft Punk. I was listening to the "Alive" live album from 2007...lots of great details and interesting arrangements.

Apr 1, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #2,300 of 10,994
Drums are one of the things that always stand out to me with their realism on the T1. Can't wait to get my M51 dac and take things to another level altogether.

-Daniel

Acoustic drums sound pretty good, but acoustic cymbals often sound awful. The treble spike in the T1 makes all cymbals sound like Zildjian Z Custom manhole covers. I guess that works fine for SOME rock/metal, but it sounds unnatural to my ears, as a percussionist. It's the worst on jazz recordings. Any sweet light ride sounds end up extra sizzly and often harsh. Smooth hi hat sounds are lost and instead sound brash and irritating.

Just the way I see it. I imagine they come out a little better on a tube amp, but I don't really use tubes.

And despite how harsh I may sound, the T1 is still a top notch headphone. I really love the bass impact, in particular. Well, I actually love most everything about the T1 besides that spike in the treble. Hoping Beyer will someday release something similar with smoother treble. :)

Apr 1, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #2,301 of 10,994
I was more referring to the snap and resonance of the drumstick hitting the drum, more than the cymbals and whatnot. Count me with the crowd that doesn't really hear-or isn't bothered by the treble peak of the T1s. I definitely think amping is a pretty big deal with these-because my very powerful Kenwood KA3500 makes these pretty harsh sounding, and I definitely am bothered by the treble pretty frequently. But with my smooth sounding AGD C-2 SA, the T1's sound very nice and smooth at all registers, and I was never bothered by the treble. Even straight out of the SBT jack, the T1's are pretty warm. Let's just say so far-I think the T1's are pickier with amping than some might think.

-Daniel

Apr 1, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #2,302 of 10,994

Quote:
I was more referring to the snap and resonance of the drumstick hitting the drum, more than the cymbals and whatnot. Count me with the crowd that doesn't really hear-or isn't bothered by the treble peak of the T1s. I definitely think amping is a pretty big deal with these-because my very powerful Kenwood KA3500 makes these pretty harsh sounding, and I definitely am bothered by the treble pretty frequently. But with my smooth sounding AGD C-2 SA, the T1's sound very nice and smooth at all registers, and I was never bothered by the treble. Even straight out of the SBT jack, the T1's are pretty warm. Let's just say so far-I think the T1's are pickier with amping than some might think.

-Daniel

Yea. I only used them with an M-Stage and then an SPL Auditor. Both had treble that bothered me on certain material. I know the Auditor is said to be neutral with perhaps a very slight treble tilt. Perhaps that did not help matters. What is the AGD C-2 SA? 

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #2,304 of 10,994

Quote:
It's a discontinued Audio GD amp (made for orthos mainly) that has power to make the Lyr blush. I emailed Kingwa to find the specs at 600 ohm, and he said it puts out 500mW, which should be ok for the T1s. Here's the link and some specs: http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/C-2SA/C2SAEN.htm

-Daniel

500mw it's much more than justt "ok" for T1 
biggrin.gif
a large margin ^^ plenty enough peraphs a bit overkill 
tongue.gif

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #2,306 of 10,994

Quote:
Acoustic drums sound pretty good, but acoustic cymbals often sound awful. The treble spike in the T1 makes all cymbals sound like Zildjian Z Custom manhole covers. I guess that works fine for SOME rock/metal, but it sounds unnatural to my ears, as a percussionist. It's the worst on jazz recordings. Any sweet light ride sounds end up extra sizzly and often harsh. Smooth hi hat sounds are lost and instead sound brash and irritating.
Just the way I see it. I imagine they come out a little better on a tube amp, but I don't really use tubes.
And despite how harsh I may sound, the T1 is still a top notch headphone. I really love the bass impact, in particular. Well, I actually love most everything about the T1 besides that spike in the treble. Hoping Beyer will someday release something similar with smoother treble.
smily_headphones1.gif

It is interesting how you keep criticizing these headphones even though, you never even listened to them on a tube amp that brings the best out of them. What is the point of buying a $1000 headphone if you do not match it with the right amp?

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #2,307 of 10,994

Quote:
It's way more than enough to bring it beyond listening levels but that doesn't always pan out optimally in reality.  I don't think many people who consider 500mW overkill.

Only some orthodynamics or  K1000 really neeeds more than 500 mw (and much more)... But , beyers 600 ohms could be easely drived with 100mw wich will be also enough to bring it beyond  listening levels . On my C2.1 wich "only" output 165mw i never go beyond 10 o'clock . And usually use it at 7-9 o'clock . Power is great , but control even more  . And if you have both ... 
biggrin.gif

Quote:

It is interesting how you keep criticizing these headphones even though, you never even listened to them on a tube amp that brings the best out of them. What is the point of buying a $1000 headphone if you do not match it with the right amp?

? Tube AMp , best out of them ? no , it's user tastes , you can prefer a T1 on a SS amp over tubes  . And Auditor is known to pair very well with T1 .

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #2,308 of 10,994

Quote:

Only some orthodynamics or  K1000 really neeeds more than 500 mw (and much more)... But , beyers 600 ohms could be easely drived with 100mw wich will be also enough to bring it beyond  listening levels . On my C2.1 wich "only" output 165mw i never go beyond 10 o'clock . And usually use it at 7-9 o'clock . Power is great , but control even more  . And if you have both ... 
biggrin.gif

Even the Fiio E9 drives the T1 to amp listening levels at 9 o'clock.  That's not what it's about.  Try it on a real amp and the difference will be there.

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #2,309 of 10,994

Quote:
Even the Fiio E9 drives the T1 to amp listening levels at 9 o'clock.  That's not what it's about.  Try it on a real amp and the difference will be there.

Well i also speack about control no ? And meant that not every amp will control T1 well ^^ , i know that amps don't sound the same tryed M-stage , my luxman LV-91 headphone out , a LD MK3 , a La Figaro 336C , a woo audio WA3 , and all sounded different , tubes amps are great with beyers 600 ohms this is true , but i prefered my actual C2.1 , peraphs all this amps are not real ones , but for me C2.1 give me plenty of great time with my T1 
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #2,310 of 10,994

Quote:

Right amp? Who is to say what the right amp is? The Auditor is made for high impedance headphones and drives the T1 quite well. The simple answer is I would rather change the headphone if it has something that bothers me enough. For all that I loved about the T1, the treble was too much for my ears. It obviously is not too much for many others, regardless of amp preference. I believe the SPL Auditor to be a fine amp for the T1. If the treble needs to be rolled off to bring out the best in the T1, then it just is not the headphone for me.

What is the point of a $1000 headphone if it has harsh sizzly and sibilance emphasizing highs when used through a neutral amp? Perhaps we just have a different philosophy. I am not out to build a rig around a headphone that masks its shortcomings.

Perhaps my logic is flawed. I do not deny that. But my goal at the moment is a fairly neutral and analytical setup. That is just my preference right now. Maybe a year from now I will decide I want to try out a bunch of tube amps and give the T1 another go. We'll see. I could not tell you how my preference may or may not change by then. I think I will bow out of the T1 thread for now. Don't want to cause too much trouble here. 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Enjoy your headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back