The Nickerfied Fostex T50RP...................... Impressions and Mod Thread.
Apr 20, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #46 of 49
^
There hasn't been any new Nickerfied mods of late as far as i know, but................................. you won the Logans 90s Mod-Off fo' sho. BRAVO!!! :happy_face1:

How is your own mods going for these Nickerfies??? Last tyme i checked nick sent you all the modding materials.

yes many thanks to nick I will post all details once I commence soon.
:)

Oi oi ...
I'll try to keep this brief.

◘ My version differs slightly: (other than the fact its a T20RPmkII)
• plasticine instead of plastidip (mostly due to availability)
◘ Tweaks: 
• solid square of paxmate (instead of modified bluemonkeydot)
• Tuning square with 12mm strips removed (I wanted more bass)

These are incremental mods after all so I can't hype it too much, but this is now my 2nd favourite headphone EVER behind the HE-500 (modified). :ph34r:
If my HE-500 was stock, I would prefer my nickerfied T20 since it doesn't have slightly fatiguing mid treble. 
The low treble is a touch strident for my regular ear-fodder, but I think it gives an incredibly engaging colour to the sound which the more I listen to, the more I like it.

You cant hype this mod enough at it is the ONLY t50rp mod I felt was as superior as the slants.
All others I tried had specific strengths but not on an overall sonic impression level that I felt was of a top level can.
Yes my subjective impressions are that this is the version to beat,
and once I complete mine with the tweaks your version implemented,
I will post my results.
:)

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #49 of 49
Saw a link GREQ posted to here so:

Yes there's been some real changes.

The rear tuning square requires dropping back on the Micropore application. Not so many layers it was far too peaky before with multiple layers. =yikes

Additionally if you want decent bass actual bass do not use the Shure 840 pads at all, use these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Replacement-Ear-Pads-Cushions-for-SHURE-SRH840-SRH440-SRH940-Headphones-/331924504782?hash=item4d483e00ce
Copy this description and look for this picture from other sellers also.

Black Replacement Ear Pads Cushions for SHURE SRH840 SRH440 SRH940 Headphones

I use these on many different items where pad height is critical.

They keep the stock opening size but raise the height between stock and  the Shure 840's.
=This places your ears closer to be driver therefore bringing up low end and avoiding much of the additional peakiness from too high/ too much inner opening the Shure pads cause.
It's quite a noticeable difference, plus the pads are cheap.

I'll see if BMF managed to update that section of the big mod thread a while ago, might have to bribe him to do that if there is any room left there
BECAUSE=
there is now sorbothane baffle application on the earside around the drivers,
1 or 2 driver backing grids fully removed and open ( the foam deals with that it does not get boomy ),
less micropore on tuning squares,
  the newer pads above

Overall it is a big difference but still stays within tuning range, annoying top end tizz toned back, and bold deeper solid bass.

SFWALCER is really missing out now. That'll teach him to leave this place for an extended time
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back