The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Sep 10, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #7,097 of 9,165

Thanks for the info.  That does look like a sweet little amp.  I hear what you are saying about the form factor.  The E12 would have a footprint about 2x as big as the ak100.  Unfortunately, at this point the P-51 is a wee bit outta my price range.  Though its hard to pass up an amp named after one of my favorite warbirds.  For the price, the E12 still fits the bill even if it is a bit bigger.  

Have you considered the Tralucent T1? It's a brilliant amp that continuously outperforms everything else I've tried it with. It's very similar in sound to the AK100. It's almost transparent, but perhaps a hair on the smooth/musical side which suits the AK100 really well (IMO). Form factor is a little bigger in terms of footprint and it's about as deep as the AK100 so kind of like having 2 AK100s stacked together.

Plenty of bass control and good energy overall without getting harsh or forward. Worth a look if it's within your budget.

Sep 11, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #7,098 of 9,165

Have you considered the Tralucent T1? It's a brilliant amp that continuously outperforms everything else I've tried it with. It's very similar in sound to the AK100. It's almost transparent, but perhaps a hair on the smooth/musical side which suits the AK100 really well (IMO). Form factor is a little bigger in terms of footprint and it's about as deep as the AK100 so kind of like having 2 AK100s stacked together.

Plenty of bass control and good energy overall without getting harsh or forward. Worth a look if it's within your budget.

+1, great sounding inexpensive amp, fairly small footprint and light too. i have it and love it.

Sep 12, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #7,099 of 9,165
So I believe I read above that the USB DAC function is now working in the firmware?
It would be handy to have a portable player I can plug into my work laptop to use as a dac.
I have done some reading, but once threads get this huge it is hard to find exactly what you are after.
What is the output power on this unit?
I currently have Mad Dogs and looking to get the Alpha Dogs.  Fairly sure I will need an amp, however just curious as to how this thing punches :)

Thanks, and advice is always appreciated :)

Scott

Sep 12, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #7,100 of 9,165
  So I believe I read above that the USB DAC function is now working in the firmware?
It would be handy to have a portable player I can plug into my work laptop to use as a dac.
I have done some reading, but once threads get this huge it is hard to find exactly what you are after.
What is the output power on this unit?
I currently have Mad Dogs and looking to get the Alpha Dogs.  Fairly sure I will need an amp, however just curious as to how this thing punches :)

Thanks, and advice is always appreciated :)

Scott

Yup. Works really easily with both Mac and Windows. No drivers too. AK100 might drive your Mad Dogs to an reasonable level. It's pretty powerful, especially with the additional 3db volume boost.

Sep 12, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #7,101 of 9,165
Yup. Works really easily with both Mac and Windows. No drivers too. AK100 might drive your Mad Dogs to an reasonable level. It's pretty powerful, especially with the additional 3db volume boost.

If I remember correctly, you modded your ak100 on your own right? How does it compare with the stock now? :)

Sep 13, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #7,102 of 9,165
This isn't worthy of a new thread (not the way I think anyway) but it seems iRiver & A&K have finally come to some senses and are releasing the AK100MkII with a 3 ohm Zout :-

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20130913_615338.html

Oh wait, not certain if I've spoken too soon about "senses", 'cos the price of the AK100Mk2 is now RRP Y76,800 (whilst the AK100 was RRP Y54,800). So that's a Y22,000 price difference for reducing from 22 ohm to 3 ohm.

I shan't say no more about this, but will definitely a lot of thoughts to myself - this is about about as diplomatic I can be about this new announcement.

Sep 13, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #7,103 of 9,165
This isn't worthy of a new thread (not the way I think anyway) but it seems iRiver & A&K have finally come to some senses and are releasing the AK100MkII with a 3 ohm Zout :-

Oh wait, not certain if I've spoken too soon about "senses", 'cos the price of the AK100Mk2 is now RRP Y76,800 (whilst the AK100 was RRP Y54,800). So that's a Y22,000 price difference for reducing from 22 ohm to 3 ohm.

I shan't say no more about this, but will definitely a lot of thoughts to myself - this is about about as diplomatic I can be about this new announcement.

Well, aparently, for the extra Y22,000 you also get  2 x 32Gb SanDisk microSDHC and a leather case

Sep 13, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #7,104 of 9,165

What the heck!! I only just contacted their customer service few days ago asking if there will be any 2nd version or new model coming out this or next year and that moron replied no plans for a new product!!

On a side note an extra 50% increase just to fix the ohm? Those bloodsucking pricks! :xf_mad:

Sep 13, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #7,105 of 9,165
What the heck!! I only just contacted their customer service few days ago asking if there will be any 2nd version or new model coming out this or next year and that moron replied no plans for a new product!!

On a side note an extra 50% increase just to fix the ohm? Those bloodsucking pricks! >
frown.gif

Looks like I jumped the gun. I should have translated more carefully. This AK100MkII is a Japan-only release. Yes a 40% increase for a 22 ohm to 3 ohm mod.

Sep 13, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #7,106 of 9,165
Looks like I jumped the gun. I should have translated more carefully. This AK100MkII is a Japan-only release. Yes a 40% increase for a 22 ohm to 3 ohm mod.

Em... obviously the japanese economy is a lot stronger than it is portrayed in these financial news outlets...

Sep 13, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #7,107 of 9,165

Arggg!! I need to find someone who'll be going to Japan :frowning2:
Any mention on the expected release date? Or just a rumour?

Sep 13, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #7,108 of 9,165
If they dont set it at a higher price, people will send back their units and demand a mod for free... Apparently, there will be some eq tweaking with the new release.. But the tweaking cannot sound better than ak120... Its not easy to be an engineer in iriver LoL

Sep 13, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #7,110 of 9,165
Arggg!! I need to find someone who'll be going to Japan :frowning2:
Any mention on the expected release date? Or just a rumour?
Tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back