The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jun 25, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #5,986 of 9,165
I think the consensus in Head Fi is to not set the max vol when connecting to a portable amp. You should try different vol output on AK100 to yield the best listening experience for yourself. My personal favoriate on a stock Ak100 is around 61, some prefer lower. you are the only judge

Jun 25, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #5,987 of 9,165
Quote:
I think the consensus in Head Fi is to not set the max vol when connecting to a portable amp. You should try different vol output on AK100 to yield the best listening experience for yourself. My personal favoriate on a stock Ak100 is around 61, some prefer lower. you are the only judge

I actually found 70 to be suitable.

Jun 25, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #5,988 of 9,165
Also very important note. This is like the thing in Korean AK100 forums:

There is a Russian hacked kernel for the AK100 that is mix of AK100's bootloader with AK120's firmware. It has gapless! iRiver made an claim that it was impossible, but they corrected themselves once this kernel came out. Also, the GUI and response time improved drastically. I'm using them right now, and they are very stable and much faster than the stock kernel. iRiver also said that they will do an "official" update that is very similar to this kernel. Damn, those Russians are skilled! Kind of pissed at iRiver, but I guess this makes AK100 more tempting. Also, this kernel allows higher output on AK100.

Link: Download: https://disk.yandex.com/public/?hash=sC3iJXa46OawouqP5e1PNrJrvLtBXxjHDljQqgr/ZZg%3D

Just put the file in root directory of ak100. Also, your firmware must be 1.33 before downloading this kernel.

Jun 25, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #5,990 of 9,165
Quote:
Also very important note. This is like the thing in Korean AK100 forums:

There is a Russian hacked kernel for the AK100 that is mix of AK100's bootloader with AK120's firmware. It has gapless! iRiver made an claim that it was impossible, but they corrected themselves once this kernel came out. Also, the GUI and response time improved drastically. I'm using them right now, and they are very stable and much faster than the stock kernel. iRiver also said that they will do an "official" update that is very similar to this kernel. Damn, those Russians are skilled! Kind of pissed at iRiver, but I guess this makes AK100 more tempting. Also, this kernel allows higher output on AK100.

Link: Download: https://disk.yandex.com/public/?hash=sC3iJXa46OawouqP5e1PNrJrvLtBXxjHDljQqgr/ZZg%3D

Just put the file in root directory of ak100. Also, your firmware must be 1.33 before downloading this kernel.

I think that is common knowledge as is mate 
tongue.gif

Some have moved to the Listrid 2.0 firmware now as well. 

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #5,998 of 9,165
You can buy one of these volume knob protecters designed specially for ak100
It's sold on ebay. Just search for "ak100 volume knob protector". I ordered mine and and waiting for it.

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #6,000 of 9,165
Quote:

AnakChan has heard both. I believe I'll also be demo-ing both side by side in the "near" future. That aside, the alternative is to read MS and RW mod comments and then to contrast both. My opinions on the units are in my sig, barring the RW mod as I haven't heard it. 

Originally Posted by kimvictor /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Alright, time for research! Anyways, I was looking for a flat sound sig that works with the UERM.... I hope I can find a mod like that.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/630288/the-new-iriver-ak100-a-high-end-dap/5850#post_9531094

Users who are viewing this thread

Back