The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
May 9, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #4,816 of 9,165
Quote:
Can u give me a honest answer? This changes:
-Gapless playback

This was answered on post #4813

Regardless of whether it is either or a combination of software, firmware or hardware, the inference is clear that iRiver have created or are creating a firmware / software update solution. Sure, from a marketing and customer relations perspective it is typical the new model has gapless by default

May 9, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #4,817 of 9,165
I did not know the WM8740 dac can support DSD - I thought that was only supported by the WM8741 and the flagship WM8742.  
blink.gif

Let's get some WM8742s in there!  That would be sweet!!!

May 9, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #4,818 of 9,165
Quote:
I did not know the WM8740 dac can support DSD - I thought that was only supported by the WM8741 and the flagship WM8742.  
blink.gif

Let's get some WM8742s in there!  That would be sweet!!!

That is what I thought. Isn't the current usage higher with the 8741 and 8742?

May 9, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #4,820 of 9,165
There is clearly a bit of confusion going on with the pricing of this release as the Digital Trends article JMoon linked to mentions a price of $1300.

I'm keen to hear the first reviews coming through though, as depending on how the dual mono dacs improve the sound, along with the extra capacity, slightly larger battery, gapless playback, USB output and all the strong features that made the existing AK100 great, I may well be very interested in upgrading my unit, even if it is a little pricey.

May 9, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #4,821 of 9,165
Well the first reviews are up but i am keen to read the review written by someone like Jamato, average_joe, celios individual that I trust not some fancy large for profit audio magazine. 
Quote:
I'm keen to hear the first reviews coming through though, as depending on how the dual mono dacs improve the sound, along with the extra capacity, slightly larger battery, gapless playback, USB output and all the strong features that made the existing AK100 great, I may well be very interested in upgrading my unit, even if it is a little pricey.

May 9, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #4,823 of 9,165
Quote:
Yeah - it's a little higher.  But I'd gladly take off 1 hour of play time (if it is even that much) for those chips!  
cool.gif

The 8741 has been out for a while. I know it has been used in home dacs and it was going to be used in a portable but I don't know of any at this time. The last couple of years have produced some nice advancements in portable sound and the dac sections have helped this tremendously but you know this better than most being right there on the front line. 

May 9, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #4,824 of 9,165
I still think the AK120 is going to be limited slightly by its 3ohm OI. I know it's not too bad, but with 15-16ohm IEMs, it can lead to a very audible change in frequency response.

If Vinnie can make it work, why can't iRiver? (PS that's not a knock on anyone, I just don't understand why Vinnie's tests show that the <1ohm output is achievable and yet iRiver continue to keep higher-than-ideal OIs)

May 9, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #4,827 of 9,165
Quote:
The 8741 has been out for a while. I know it has been used in home dacs and it was going to be used in a portable but I don't know of any at this time. The last couple of years have produced some nice advancements in portable sound and the dac sections have helped this tremendously but you know this better than most being right there on the front line. 

Definitely - but just remember, the dac chip only plays part of the role.  The analog output stage of the dac is often overlooked and is just as important, as is low clock jitter.  And then there is the actual headphone stage.  The AK100 was done well (super low noise, discrete FETs, very clean layout, low jitter), so we should expect the AK120 to be very good.  But they really should go for as close to 0-ohm output impedance as possible, so it will perform best with IEMs/headphones under 30-ohms.  

I'm also keen to explore the analog output stage filter design (as well as the digital filtering settings of the dac chip) to see both the AK100 / AK120 taken to the highest level of performance, and if output stage power (not the gain, which can easily be increased - I'm talking max output power) can be increased - for those using harder to drive headphones.

DSD is going to require firmware changes - and I'm still pretty sure that it can't be done via the WM8740 chips unless it is DSD to PCM conversion, which would be pointless.  I'm quite sure that native DSD is going to require the WM8741 or WM8742 - unless I'm missing something.

So - where can I get my hands on an AK120? 
wink.gif

And let's not forget - the RWAK100 is still really good and if they can update firmware to make it gapless, then it's probably the better value. Time will tell...

Vinnie

May 9, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #4,829 of 9,165
Yes, a new thread for the upcoming AK120 would be stellar.

This thread has grown into quite the monster, I never expected such a beast when I first just posted the news of its upcoming release and a simple picture on the first page.
I never updated the OP as I dont own the AK100, although I did belatedly add some more information today.
I did request at one stage that owners PM releveant information that I would add to the OP but didnt get any replies.

All things considered it has been an active thread from the initial excitement, to the 22.41 output impedance wrath, to the RWAK100 savior mod, to how do i create albums/add artwork etc, and onto stage 1,2 and 4 mods etc.

I expect that this thread will drift away with the upcoming AK120 that has taken us quite by surprise.

Any additions/suggestions to the OP will be added, PM me with text etc.

Kind regards.

May 9, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #4,830 of 9,165
Hi ExpatinJapan,

I found this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/663188/the-astell-kern-ak120

I don't think the AK100 and this thread will drift away.  I think AK100 related info will be in this thread, and more of the AK120
info will be posted to the new thread linked to above.

It would be great to start a separate post with essential information about the AK100/AK120. But someone taking on such as
task with be busy for months sifting through the information.  

I'll be happy to mod someones AK100 they send me if they are willing to help with this for the benefit of everyone who has or
is considering an AK100 / AK120.  
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back