The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Mar 15, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #3,256 of 9,165
Quote:
I do have shure 535ltd and also ak100. If u like shure 535ltd soundsig then pairing with ak100 will be fine. Ak100 does not boost the highs/mids/lows. It just follows the character of your iems or cans but with a bit of refinement to its sound. I dont think adding external amps will improve shure 535ltd sq. For me...i like to use ak100 and shure 535ltd alone rather than adding external amp. But if i use my sm64 iems...with additional amps it does improve the sound a lot. Shure 535ltd is very sensitive iems. U dont need extra power to get its maximum performance. Ak100 alone is enough imo. Just to note...sm64 is much more capable of responding to amplification compared to shure 535LTD.

Thanks a lot for your reply!

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #3,260 of 9,165
I got a nice brown case for the AK by iRiver. Very well made. The brown is good because I have so much in black things get lost. The case is simple but very fine on fit and finish. Highly recommended.

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #3,261 of 9,165
Quote:
I got a nice brown case for the AK by iRiver. Very well made. The brown is good because I have so much in black things get lost. The case is simple but very fine on fit and finish. Highly recommended.

Yea they told me they are releasing some accessories, where did you get yours from? 

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #3,262 of 9,165
Afternoon my learned chums.

I have a couple of questions about the AK 100s graphic equalizer, which I was hoping one of you might be able to help me with :)

With the graphic switched on, it sounds markedly different to with it switched off. Is this correct? I would have expected the graphic on with no adjustments to have sounded the same as it being switched off. Is this my ignorance at play?

Secondly I was wondering what the best option to adjust the 6 - 8khz band would be? I am using the Tzar 350s and a number of owners have reported a marked improvement in this slightly bright range by reducing it by about 4db. As the AK only has a 5 band equalizer covering the 4khz and 16khz bands, am I just crap out of luck here?

Mar 16, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #3,263 of 9,165
Quote:

I got a black version of the one being offered directly from iRiver on Amazon (U.S.)...this after I had also purchased a black case + neck strap from eBay.  I am such a case wh0re...it's a proven fact!!  Hahaha!!  After getting the first one (w/ the neck strap) I realized that case wouldn't work if I wanted to ever use a portable amp attached my preferred way:  Tessa PowerStrips...so I ordered the plain case from iRiver's storefront on Amazon (it doesn't have the neck strap attachment on the back of the case).

Mar 16, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #3,264 of 9,165
Quote:
Having a hard time with the stock AK100. With the ES10 and EX1000 I seem to loss a lot of my low ends. 

Bummer. If you were local, we could try opening it up.
wink_face.gif

Mar 16, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #3,265 of 9,165
DX100 vs RWAK100

OK. I've spent many hours listening to both my DX100 and my RWAK100, using my UE PRM CIEMs. The biggest difference between the two player's SQ, for me, is sound stage: the DX100 simply sounds wider. Both players sound very good, but the wide sound stage on the DX100 is just mind blowing, and the RWAK100 isn't quite as good in this regard. A more subtle difference is bass response: I find the DX100‘s bass is a tiny bit more articulated than the RWAK100.

So, in my very humble and inexperienced opinion, for my own personal taste, I feel the DX100 has a bit of an edge over the RWAK100 in sound quality.

However.

The UI and UX on the RWAK100 is EXTREMELY superior to the DX100 in every possible way. The UI is much faster, much more responsive, much more intuitive. Music never randomly skips. Music always plays immediately when I press play; it doesn't randomly skip the first 0-3 seconds if I start playing from nothing like the DX100 often does. I can adjust volume and change tracks without turning the screen on. It never makes my IEMs pop. I could go on and on, but a lot of this is already known. Put simply, the DX100's UI is something not even a mother could love, and it infuriates me, and the AK100 UI is beautiful and pleasant to use. It's not quite iOS level, but it's a hell of a lot closer than the DX100.

The vastly superior UI of the AK100, and intolerably bad UI of the DX100, is the reason why I am considering something that others have said defeats the purpose of having a AK100: using it with an external amp. I love the UI but I want it to sound like my DX100.

My question: which portable amp, with a optical input, can I use with my RWAK100 to make it sound like my DX100? Does such a thing exist? Is an iBasso D12 with a particular set of opamps what I need?

What does everyone think? Thanks!

Mar 16, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #3,266 of 9,165
Quote:
Yea they told me they are releasing some accessories, where did you get yours from? 

Amazon. Fast delivery and to Alaska they still charged just a few dollars for shipping and it took about 4 days.

Mar 16, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #3,267 of 9,165
Quote:
DX100 vs RWAK100

[snip!]

My question: which portable amp, with a optical input, can I use with my RWAK100 to make it sound like my DX100? Does such a thing exist? Is an iBasso D12 with a particular set of opamps what I need?

What does everyone think? Thanks!

Hmm...amps don't take optical input. Maybe you mean DAC/Amp instead?

I agree with you - with my DX100 at fw 1.3.7, it does have the "bigger" sound by the RWAK100 however for me, it hasn't been that much that it'll make me want to choose the DX100 over the RWAK100 everytime I pick up the DAP. This is for the same reasons you mentioned about ease of use, portability, battery life, etc. In other words, the SQ of the RWAK100, though slightly short of the DX100 has become of lesser priority over other practical factors for my use.

And like  you, I occasionally couple my RWAK100 with an external amp to "fill the void" - except, I just use the analogue line-out. I've been using the Ortofon MHd-Q7 occasionally.

Mar 16, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #3,269 of 9,165
Depends on weather :p. During the cold winter months, I've been using my M-100 quite a bit and more recently the SigDJ's. But this week I've been using my MH335DWs almost daily.

Mar 16, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #3,270 of 9,165
Quote:
I got to say as an IEM user for me the sound stage is not the major issue. Are you guys using headphones with it?

I use Earsonics SM64 IEMs & Beyer T70 (250 ohm).  Right now I'm using a 4G Arrow that I finally received just yesterday, but I plan to order a ALO Rx Mk3-B because I'll likely get another set of (harder to drive) fullsize cans over the next few months.  Plus any portable amp that I get can also be used in my transportable setup (rMBP + Meridian Explorer) when I travel (& stay in hotels) for business.  At least those are the rationales for my spending splurge!  =p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back