The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 24, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #1,232 of 29,013
Quote:
Quick question—need a new amp for the HD800. Which one has the absolute biggest soundstage and the most articulation and delicacy? Let's say under $2K, to keep this interesting.

The new Decware Taboo MK III has a huge soundstage with the HD800's. You can adjust it as well with the Lucid modes which have a crossfeed function .Depending on what song you are listening too, the Lucid's can add or take away. It is the biggest soundstage I have ever heard with HP's.

http://www.decware.com/newsite/TABOO.htm

Here are some pics of the amp...(and a few more...)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/654644/a-visit-to-decware

Mar 24, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #1,234 of 29,013
@ss8545
How it is different than using an eq ? So much distrust for dsp here.

Anyways , I tried to reduce treble by 6db ---> lost some excitement/clarity
then 3db, again loss of what partly makes the hd800 interesting
then 1.5 db then finally less than 1db then it's not worth it to eq at all.
The stereo separation is true source of fatigue with the hd800, much more than
any supposed treble emphasis.

Mar 24, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #1,235 of 29,013
Quote:
@ss8545
How it is different than using an eq ? So much distrust for dsp here.

Anyways , I tried to reduce treble by 6db ---> lost some excitement/clarity
then 3db, again loss of what partly makes the hd800 interesting
then 1.5 db then finally less than 1db then it's not worth it to eq at all.
The stereo separation is true source of fatigue with the hd800, much more than
any supposed treble emphasis.

I recently started using the TB Isone plugin on another member's recommendation with better results than the built in JRiver crossfeed I was using.  Completely non fatiguing and imaging cues seem to be more accurate on most recordings, as well as some recordings that sounded off or flat before actually sound correct.  

I guess I didn't realize how hard panning some stereo effects can be with headphones, though I think the HD800 does better than most in that regard.  I think some "details" can seem a little more distant and less exaggerated with it enabled, but I feel it's actually more accurate to the original intent with most recordings.  Especially heavily produced and electronic music.  

For instance, Skrillex without a well executed crossfeed is almost unlistenable with the aggressive panning effects, but sounds quite good with it enabled.  I also feel zero need to EQ with it enabled, and think it showcases just how truly neutral and accurate the HD800 is.

Mar 24, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #1,236 of 29,013
It's just pure advertisement...
I liked my HD 800s straight out of the box until now.

Mar 24, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #1,237 of 29,013
Quote:

Advertisement for ?
My problem with the hd800, is when I listen to music, while doing something else at same time.
There's is something on your hd800, that is gathering all your attention, I  figured out it was the stereo separation.
I  didn't have that problem with my previous headphone, I  could put them, and "just forget the music" in background.
With the hd800, it's almost impossible to listen music while doing something else.

Mar 24, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #1,238 of 29,013
Quote:
considering the 180 that people pulled on the LCD2 i am really trying to to buy  anything on the opinion of others. listen then buy. This about-face just showed me how we are susceptible we are to social forces and placebo effects. if you have not audition the HD800, do so and preferably side by side to the 009, so you really know the extent to which one compares to the other.

Of course! I live in Rhode Island...I can't really try those other than buying and returning if I could. Unless I can find a Massachusetts or New York meet, I don't see it happening. I am having issues with the LCD-2 even though I love them. Doing lots of reading.

Mar 24, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #1,239 of 29,013
Advertisement for madisound, I guess. Or just for those special capacitators.

Mar 24, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #1,240 of 29,013
I think this depends on the person and mood.
Quote:
Advertisement for ?
My problem with the hd800, is when I listen to music, while doing something else at same time.
There's is something on your hd800, that is gathering all your attention, I  figured out it was the stereo separation.
I  didn't have that problem with my previous headphone, I  could put them, and "just forget the music" in background.
With the hd800, it's almost impossible to listen music while doing something else.

Mar 24, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #1,241 of 29,013
Quote:

I did too and still do.  I was just pointing out a tool/tweak that some users can use if they so choose.  That's part of the fun of the hobby.   Not implying that it's somehow not good without it.

Mar 24, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #1,242 of 29,013
Quote:
Advertisement for madisound, I guess. Or just for those special capacitators.

Ahh, my mistake. I didn't realize you were referring to that...Carry on 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #1,243 of 29,013
Quote:

Of course! I live in Rhode Island...I can't really try those other than buying and returning if I could. Unless I can find a Massachusetts or New York meet, I don't see it happening. I am having issues with the LCD-2 even though I love them. Doing lots of reading.

I hear ya. But I have noticed that there seems to be a renewed hype around the HD800. I agree with hype. I love these headphones and loved them from day one. Just saying that hte seame thing could be happening as happned to LCD

Mar 24, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #1,244 of 29,013
That doesn't appear to be an ad. The guy posted the tweak months ago without mention of any site and he lives in a different country altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back