The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 24, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #1,216 of 29,013
Quote:
It's really good to see the love for the HD800 from those who previously threw it aside for the LCD-Xs.
tongue.gif
I have owned 2 LCD-2s and still want to give them a go but every single time I have them, I end up feeling unhappy with them for various reasons. I struggle to justify paying so much for the LCD-3. I have no real qualms with the HD800 and like so many of you, have hunted around for the perfect rig.

Keep on listening fellas
smily_headphones1.gif

I feel that the HD800 and LCD2 are not in the same league. I heard headphones in the below $1000 mark that I would put against the ldc2 and I would judge the performance close. Just my 2 cents.

Now, while the LCD3 is way overpriced in my opinion, i may get it at some point to supplement my HD800/, we will see

Mar 24, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #1,218 of 29,013
It looks like the LCD-2's time in the sun has come to an end. I remember around November of 2011, when the LCD-3 had just come out, the LCD-2 was better than the HD-800 for many many people here, thus influencing my decision to purchase one. Now, with all this praise for the 800s, and my own minor issues with the LCD-2 beginning to get noticed, I'm almost certain I'm gonna sell them and move on to an 800 early next year.

I wish I could afford a Stax SR-009 'cause they're the greatest out. So I need to get the next best thing that is the least worst: Thus, either the HD-800 or LCD-3. From what I've read, compared to the SR-009, the HD-800 was generally not as good while the LCD-3 was awful in some opinions. So, with everything said above, the HD-800 I'd like to give a shot.

Mar 24, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #1,219 of 29,013
Quote:
I am always fascinated by everyones personal perspective. I do not find the W4S bright. I love it with the HD800's. Truly this hobby is always interesting.

Right there with you.  Prep and I tend to hear things 180 from each other.  I thought the DAC-2 quite dark sounding and besides a little extra punch pretty much a stand in for the Burson HA-160D DAC section.

Mar 24, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #1,220 of 29,013
Quote:
It looks like the LCD-2's time in the sun has come to an end. I remember around November of 2011, when the LCD-3 had just come out, the LCD-2 was better than the HD-800 for many many people here, thus influencing my decision to purchase one. Now, with all this praise for the 800s, and my own minor issues with the LCD-2 beginning to get noticed, I'm almost certain I'm gonna sell them and move on to an 800 early next year.

I wish I could afford a Stax SR-009 'cause they're the greatest out. So I need to get the next best thing that is the least worst: Thus, either the HD-800 or LCD-3. From what I've read, compared to the SR-009, the HD-800 was generally not as good while the LCD-3 was awful in some opinions. So, with everything said above, the HD-800 I'd like to give a shot.

considering the 180 that people pulled on the LCD2 i am really trying to to buy  anything on the opinion of others. listen then buy. This about-face just showed me how we are susceptible we are to social forces and placebo effects. if you have not audition the HD800, do so and preferably side by side to the 009, so you really know the extent to which one compares to the other.

Mar 24, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #1,222 of 29,013
Updated your sig.  I see why you might find the PWD2 not as detailed as the M7... FW 2.02, ala musical firmware.  If you install 2.20 the focus, imaging and detail jump up as does dynamic range.  It's not for everyone though as it's pretty unforgiving.

Mar 24, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #1,225 of 29,013
Quote:
Why on earth do these companies change the component's signature with firmware updates? NAD are adding some handy features to the M51 but apparently at the expense of SQ. Daft.

What's weird to me is current PWD have 2.20 firmware shipped, AND you can't roll back. What no choice.

Ohhhh and....PWD 1 upgrades boards are no longer available, so yea, no choice...

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #1,226 of 29,013
It's a matter of opinion.  The change reduced processing time and jitter which is turn cranks up focus and dynamics.  

So if you like laid back sound then it's 'bad'.  If the idea of spending $2500 on a DAC that has the timing and detail of the $1000 ones isn't too smart... then it's 'good'.  

All I know is every time someone tells me they can't tell the different between a Gungnir or W4S and the PWD2 I'm pretty sure it's rocking the 2.02 or 2.03 firmware.

There is no change to output, no DSP, just streamlined code.  If the highs are harsh, the fault is downstream because on the Soloist and GS-X mk2 going to the HD800 it's butter.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #1,227 of 29,013
Quote:
It's a matter of opinion.  The change reduced processing time and jitter which is turn cranks up focus and dynamics.  

So if you like laid back sound then it's 'bad'.  If the idea of spending $2500 on a DAC that has the timing and detail of the $1000 ones isn't too smart... then it's 'good'.  

All I know is every time someone tells me they can't tell the different between a Gungnir or W4S and the PWD2 I'm pretty sure it's rocking the 2.02 or 2.03 firmware.

There is no change to output, no DSP, just streamlined code.  If the highs are harsh, the fault is downstream because on the Soloist and GS-X mk2 going to the HD800 it's butter.

From what I understand it's the analog boards that force you to use 2.20-current.

Which makes it a curious decision to take away choice.

And yea, if you like that precision, it's good, if not, well....guess you can fuse roll. Haha.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #1,228 of 29,013
The new analog board supports this cool feature called mute /facepalm  Previous firmwares didn't implement it.  But the real 'reason' is the change in LCD provider that required a new LCD driver in the firmware.  Ie old firmwares can't turn on the LCD... minor thing :wink:

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #1,229 of 29,013
Quote:
The new analog board supports this cool feature called mute /facepalm  Previous firmwares didn't implement it.  But the real 'reason' is the change in LCD provider that required a new LCD driver in the firmware.  Ie old firmwares can't turn on the LCD... minor thing :wink:

Ah, so it forced their hand. Never knew that. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back