The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Dec 19, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #6,946 of 29,010
  The HD 800 has been on a price drop for the last month on Amazon, currently sitting at $889. Anyone have any idea whats going on here?

+1. On the deals thread, there is a scramble of people ordering it as someone claimed it is a "price error."

luckily for me these headphones are wayyy outta my price range anyways.

EDIT: All gone... damn that was fasttt hahah

Dec 19, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #6,947 of 29,010
  +1. On the deals thread, there is a scramble of people ordering it as someone claimed it is a "price error."

luckily for me these headphones are wayyy outta my price range anyways.

EDIT: All gone... damn that was fasttt hahah

heh, that was fast, someone probably noticed the error and 'fixed' it...

Dec 21, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #6,955 of 29,010
My HD800s arrived today.  I am pairing it with a Decware CSP3 + Taboo.  Having never heard the HD800 but reading some I was mainly worried about bass quantity and brightness.  I was looking forward to detail and transparency.  Nothing to worry about 
tongue.gif
.  Bass is perfect for my tastes.  I listen primarily to jazz trios where the bass is always going to be tight anyway.  I am going to enjoy the HD800 with my current amps and then decide if I need to explore.  The HD800 seems to pair well with tube amps.  I need to read through this read to learn about mods, cables, maintenance, etc.           

Dec 21, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #6,956 of 29,010
Got my HD800 this week on sale, having had them on loan for about a month at the beginning of the year. Like others I had trepidation about the bass quantity and quality and the musicality of the HD800, for my tastes it seems I needn't have worried. Running single-ended off my Audio-GD Reference 10 I simply adore their sound. Question now is whether to get a balanced setup with a 4-pin XLR termination to run them that way off the 10...

In any case, I'm enjoying them now even single-ended, a nice counterpoint to my HE-6, which runs off a speaker amp with the 10 acting as a pre-amp. A single button push to change from speaker to HP output on the 10 makes switching an absolute cinch. 

Dec 21, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #6,957 of 29,010
  Got my HD800 this week on sale, having had them on loan for about a month at the beginning of the year. Like others I had trepidation about the bass quantity and quality and the musicality of the HD800, for my tastes it seems I needn't have worried. Running single-ended off my Audio-GD Reference 10 I simply adore their sound. Question now is whether to get a balanced setup with a 4-pin XLR termination to run them that way off the 10...

In any case, I'm enjoying them now even single-ended, a nice counterpoint to my HE-6, which runs off a speaker amp with the 10 acting as a pre-amp. A single button push to change from speaker to HP output on the 10 makes switching an absolute cinch. 

That is one fine amp. Cheers

Dec 21, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #6,958 of 29,010
  My HD800s arrived today.  I am pairing it with a Decware CSP3 + Taboo.  Having never heard the HD800 but reading some I was mainly worried about bass quantity and brightness.  I was looking forward to detail and transparency.  Nothing to worry about 
tongue.gif
.  Bass is perfect for my tastes.  I listen primarily to jazz trios where the bass is always going to be tight anyway.  I am going to enjoy the HD800 with my current amps and then decide if I need to explore.  The HD800 seems to pair well with tube amps.  I need to read through this read to learn about mods, cables, maintenance, etc.           

Welcome aboard Komuso! Great setup. I had the CSP2+/Taboo MK III with the HD800's and it is an awesome combination.

Dec 21, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #6,959 of 29,010
I was incredulous when I realized that the best part of this thread is seeing everyone's vocabulary. I love fancy words, so nice hit on Trepidation :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back