The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Dec 21, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #6,962 of 29,010
Dec 21, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #6,963 of 29,010
^^^Nice...

Yep, Taboo MKIII does a good job, Congrats and welcome to the club...
beerchug.gif

Dec 21, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #6,964 of 29,010
I haven't convinced myself yet that the CSP3 + HD800 alone isn't the better combo than the CSP3 + Taboo + HD800.  Sound is definitely thicker and warmer with the Taboo in play.  If I want a more clinical, less tubey sound then just use the CSP3 alone.  You guys might agree?  In any case, it's still the honeymoon period.  I should hold off on statements about sound until a couple weeks in with these HD800.  Overall, I am very happy with this purchase.  The headphone journey to the HD800 was fun and expensive.    

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Welcome aboard Komuso! Great setup. I had the CSP2+/Taboo MK III with the HD800's and it is an awesome combination.

^^^Nice...
Yep, Taboo MKIII does a good job, Congrats and welcome to the club...
beerchug.gif

Dec 21, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #6,965 of 29,010
  I haven't convinced myself yet that the CSP3 + HD800 alone isn't the better combo than the CSP3 + Taboo + HD800.  Sound is definitely thicker and warmer with the Taboo in play.  If I want a more clinical, less tubey sound then just use the CSP3 alone.  You guys might agree?  In any case, it's still the honeymoon period.  I should hold off on statements about sound until a couple weeks in with these HD800.  Overall, I am very happy with this purchase.  The headphone journey to the HD800 was fun and expensive.    

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Welcome aboard Komuso! Great setup. I had the CSP2+/Taboo MK III with the HD800's and it is an awesome combination.

There were times when I enjoyed the CSP2+/HD800 without the Taboo. Depended on the music and the mood.

Dec 22, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #6,966 of 29,010
  That is one fine amp. Cheers

Thanks! Yes, I enjoy the Ref 10 immensely.

I was incredulous when I realized that the best part of this thread is seeing everyone's vocabulary. I love fancy words, so nice hit on Trepidation
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you, some wonderful vocabulary on display here from everyone I see!

Now, a little more on-topic: Looking at getting some balanced cables terminated in 4-pin XLR for use with the Ref 10 HP output, I see options with Toxic, Moon Audio, Alo Audio amongst others. Any particular recommendations from people here?

Hopefully I can ask this without the thread becoming a cable debate circus. For clarity, I really only want balanced because I feel like the doubled power output does improve things, and also because I can use the same set of adapters I already have (into various terminations) with multiple headphones. I'm not a huge believer in lots of the other purported benefits of balanced headphones, and neither am I any great believer in silver this or copper that conferring any great change or improvement in the sound, so if we could avoid derailing the thread with that can of worms I'd appreciate it.

Dec 22, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #6,967 of 29,010

Now, a little more on-topic: Looking at getting some balanced cables terminated in 4-pin XLR for use with the Ref 10 HP output, I see options with Toxic, Moon Audio, Alo Audio amongst others. Any particular recommendations from people here?

Just re-terminate your stock cable to 4-pin. Other than that Q and DHC are top picks.

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #6,969 of 29,010
I really like the 'Q' French silk.  Very light and flexible.
It can also be used with Audeze HP's and I bought the adapters for my HE500's also.

Dec 22, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #6,970 of 29,010
Perfect! Would love to spend some money with Steve.

Dec 23, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #6,971 of 29,010
Can someone help me on upgrading my amp here, which one would be better for HD800? Alo Pan Am or Schiit Lyr? (I don't plan to spend a lot on tube rolling, probably not even going to tube roll at all lol)

Dec 23, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #6,972 of 29,010
@62ohm
If you're looking for a budget way to get into the HD800, look no further than Schiit.  Based on your signature, keep going the Schiit route.  I'd highly recommend upgrading your DAC by going to a Bifrost Uber and adding the Vali.  I have the Vali and it is pretty amazing with the HD800.. check the Vali thread.

Dec 23, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #6,973 of 29,010
  @62ohm
If you're looking for a budget way to get into the HD800, look no further than Schiit.  Based on your signature, keep going the Schiit route.  I'd highly recommend upgrading your DAC by going to a Bifrost Uber and adding the Vali.  I have the Vali and it is pretty amazing with the HD800.. check the Vali thread.

What about the Lyr? I also heard good things about its pairing with HD800

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #6,974 of 29,010
I had the Lyr and now have the Vali (and the Naim) and here are the advatages..
- If you're going to tube roll or have a collection of headphones with various impedences, go for it. The Lyr will drive pretty much everything.
- If your only headphone is the HD800, I don ot see any advantage of the Lyr other than driving to blistering levels. The vali goes more than loud enouhg for me with the HD800.
The Vali is that good and I dont see any advatages of the Lyr for the HD800.  Knowing what I know now, I think the perfect entry level for the HD800 is the Bifrost Uber/Vali. YMMV
Also, check the Vali thread, there's a lot of talk about HD800 synergy.
Good Luck!

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #6,975 of 29,010
  I had the Lyr and now have the Vali (and the Naim) and here are the advatages..
- If you're going to tube roll or have a collection of headphones with various impedences, go for it. The Lyr will drive pretty much everything.
- If your only headphone is the HD800, I don ot see any advantage of the Lyr other than driving to blistering levels. The vali goes more than loud enouhg for me with the HD800.
The Vali is that good and I dont see any advatages of the Lyr for the HD800.  Knowing what I know now, I think the perfect entry level for the HD800 is the Bifrost Uber/Vali. YMMV
Also, check the Vali thread, there's a lot of talk about HD800 synergy.
Good Luck!

Yeah I have the vali + gungnir now but I am wondering if the uberfrost would have been a better combo with the hd800 and vali. The gungnir can sound overly dynamic sometimes, but I'm gonna give it a week or so to burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back