The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Nov 18, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #6,481 of 28,992
Nov 18, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #6,483 of 28,992

You're welcome. Im sure youd be more than happy with the pairing.

Thank you again, really... Any other ideas?

For a warm amp, the A18 was my favorite. There are a few other budget amps like the M-stage, and the balanced version "Quattro" which is said to be a great setup around the HD800. 

Keep in mind that even though the amp has a balanced headphone input, the A18 is not a fully balanced amp--if a balanced amp is what you are looking for. It shouldnt be a deal breaker for that reason though.

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #6,484 of 28,992
The V200 is great. I haven't heard your other options, but for me it's basically as good as the Taboo MKiii.

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #6,485 of 28,992
The V200 is great. I haven't heard your other options, but for me it's basically as good as the Taboo MKiii.

Yeah, I am on the fence between V200 vs A18...

V200:
 - slightly more neutral
 - absolutely silent
 - more power
 - more detailed (according to project's review)
 - two 1/4 headphone out (brilliant for testing headphones)
 - better servicable for me (EU)

A18
 - better soundstaging (that's significant for me)
 - more "natural"/warm-sounding (could work better with HD800)
 - working for both 110/220v (this is not very important since it's easy to switch this on V200 internally)

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #6,486 of 28,992

That is a bit surprising. Having owned the V200 in the past, I would rate the Taboo as several classes above in transparency alone. V200 is quite warm tinted, with a small soundstage, less air at the top, and slower transients. I can see how it sinergizes with the HD800s but it is not even remotely close to the Taboo performance as an amplifier.

I would say your system must have another bottleneck downstream.

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #6,489 of 28,992

Could you tell me how significant these "flaws" are? The way you describe it, one would think the V200 is a bad amplifier...

Like with anything in audio, it depends on the comparison. I thought the HD650 are quite good until I heard the HD800. :)

At its price range the V200 used to be very decent. If one is only going to use it for the HD800s or other neutral headphones it sinergizes well. It doesn't do a lot of justice to Audeze or other warmer headphones.

The Soloist is better overall at that budget range, but it's neutral, so yeah. And these are the HD800s. It's not easy.

The Taboo is in a higher price and performance class.

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #6,490 of 28,992

Thank you again, really... Any other ideas?

Matrix M-stage... No seriously, slightly warmer than neutral with nice soundstage. Detail is not up there with the best, but If you can't afford the best.... :D 

Has very good synergy with the HD800. And you can easily put it in your bag. (man bag) 

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #6,491 of 28,992
Haha I think the bottleneck is me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't flatter yourself too much.
beyersmile.png
  The Taboo will scale a lot with better downstream (more so than the V200).

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #6,492 of 28,992

Yeah, I am on the fence between V200 vs A18...

V200:
 - slightly more neutral
 - absolutely silent
 - more power
 - more detailed (according to project's review)
 - two 1/4 headphone out (brilliant for testing headphones)
 - better servicable for me (EU)

A18
 - better soundstaging (that's significant for me)
 - more "natural"/warm-sounding (could work better with HD800)
 - working for both 110/220v (this is not very important since it's easy to switch this on V200 internally)

Between the 2, the V200 is more 'forward' over the A18 but not in any way 'in your face'. The V200 is dead silent with every headphone, the A18 prefers higher impedance cans. 

In the end, I went with the A18 because of its soundstage--The A18 excels marvelously in that aspect. Users who felt the V200 lacked soundstage found the A18 to be the perfect remedy.

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #6,493 of 28,992
  Matrix M-stage... No seriously, slightly warmer than neutral with nice soundstage. Detail is not up there with the best, but If you can't afford the best.... :D 

Has very good synergy with the HD800. And you can easily put it in your bag. (man bag) 

If I happen to be extremely short on budget, definitely will try the M-stage :)

Like with anything in audio, it depends on the comparison. I thought the HD650 are quite good until I heard the HD800. :)

At its price range the V200 used to be very decent. If one is only going to use it for the HD800s or other neutral headphones it sinergizes well. It doesn't do a lot of justice to Audeze or other warmer headphones.

The Soloist is better overall at that budget range, but it's neutral, so yeah. And these are the HD800s. It's not easy.

I can understand the Taboo is better... That said, I was asking about how small the soundstage of V200 and transients are in comparison to good amplifiers. Can you comment on that?

Quite a lot of folks talk about great synergy with planar magnetic headphones... On the other hand, your description based on "warmth does not go well with another warmth" makes more sense to me.

I would most probably prefer Meier Corda Classic over the Soloist - should be similar soundwise and I can get the Classic much cheaper... Yeah, in my situation, it's also about money. =/

Between the 2, the V200 is more 'forward' over the A18 but not in any way 'in your face'. The V200 is dead silent with every headphone, the A18 prefers higher impedance cans. 

In the end, I went with the A18 because of its soundstage--The A18 excels marvelously in that aspect. Users who felt the V200 lacked soundstage found the A18 to be the perfect remedy.

That's the problem... I do enjoy HD800 a lot but I also want my amp to perform well with many headphones - I just happen to test headphones and write impressions. I could maybe add HE-500 or K812 to my collection sometime next year and therefore I need an amplifier that is good for the HD800 but still safe enough for other headphones. What do you think? V200. A18 or something else?

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #6,494 of 28,992

If I happen to be extremely short on budget, definitely will try the M-stage :)

I can understand the Taboo is better... That said, I was asking about how small the soundstage of V200 and transients are in comparison to good amplifiers. Can you comment on that?

Quite a lot of folks talk about great synergy with planar magnetic headphones... On the other hand, your description based on "warmth does not go well with another warmth" makes more sense to me.

I would most probably prefer Meier Corda Classic over the Soloist - should be similar soundwise and I can get the Classic much cheaper... Yeah, in my situation, it's also about money. =/

That's the problem... I do enjoy HD800 a lot but I also want my amp to perform well with many headphones - I just happen to test headphones and write impressions. I could maybe add HE-500 or K812 to my collection sometime next year and therefore I need an amplifier that is good for the HD800 but still safe enough for other headphones. What do you think? V200. A18 or something else?
As long as you don't use the A18 with in-ear-monitors, it's dead silent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back